Kumble to lead India in Hong Kong Super Sixes

ViruRulez

Hong Kong, Oct 22 : Former India skipper Anil Kumble, will be joined by Manish Pandey and Lakshimpathy Balaji in the Indian team for the Hong Kong Cricket Sixes to be played at the Kowloon Cricket Club here on October 31 to November 1. Also in the Indian squad are Reetinder Sodhi, Sridharan Sriram, Stuart Binny and Jagadesh Arunkumar, First played in 1992, the Hong Kong Cricket Sixes is the longest-running international tournament of its kind and will this year celebrate its 15th edition. Kumble,is hoping to lead his team to a win to add to the only Sixes title they won back in 2005. This time the spin legend will have the 28-year-old Balaji as a bowling partner. ''Playing against Sri Lanka earlier this year gave me a taste of being back with an Indian team, so I am thrilled to be playing at the Hong Kong Sixes. Any team that has Anil has a chance to do very well and I am sure we can be real contenders for the Cup final,'' said Balaji The just-turned 20 Pandey stunned cricket bufs when he became the first Indian to record a century in the Indian Premier League (IPL), smashing 114 off just 73 balls against the Deccan Chargers earlier this year in South Africa With the innings including 10 fours and four massive sixes, ''I have heard great things about the Hong Kong Cricket Sixes from Anil, who is an inspiration for all cricketers in Bangalore and India. I am thrilled to be coming to what I have heard is a very exciting event,'' Pandey said. In a new innovation for 2009, the Hong Kong Cricket Sixes pools will be divided into Northern and Southern hemisphere groups. As such, India will take part in showpiece matches against geographical rivals Pakistan and Sri Lanka on day one, along with a round-robin match against defending champions England. England recorded a record fifth Sixes title last year after a stunning final in which they finished tied with Australia on 121 runs. When Australian batsman Stephen O’Keefe was run out attempting a second run from the final delivery that would have given his team victory, England were confirmed victors as they had lost fewer wickets (three wickets to one).
But what is this tournament. I have never heard about it before and I have never seen it too. Manish Pandey is also there. :dontknow:
But what is this tournament. I have never heard about it before and I have never seen it too. Manish Pandey is also there. :dontknow:
Are you serious? It is basically gully cricket played by intl. players. A lot of stars have played in the 6's. Lara, Warnie, McG were part of the all stars XI, last year. Even Sir Viv, SRT and Donald have played there. Good fun.:dance:
Are you serious? It is basically gully cricket played by intl. players. A lot of stars have played in the 6's. Lara, Warnie, McG were part of the all stars XI, last year. Even Sir Viv, SRT and Donald have played there. Good fun.:dance:
Yup I am serious. Never heard about it. What is the format. How many overs and why named Super Sixes. :confused:
Yup I am serious. Never heard about it. What is the format. How many overs and why named Super Sixes. :confused:
Six per side. 5 overs each, everyone must bowl except the keeper. Keeper will be standing half way from the rope just to save some runs.:cantstop: If a side loses 5 wickets before the stipulated 5overs are bowled then the last standing batsman can bat with the 5th batsman acting as runner.
Six per side. 5 overs each, everyone must bowl except the keeper. Keeper will be standing half way from the rope just to save some runs.:cantstop: If a side loses 5 wickets before the stipulated 5overs are bowled then the last standing batsman can bat with the 5th batsman acting as runner.
Vat.. all of them must bowl and even after losing all wickets batsman can bat :WTF: Was T20 idea taken from this tournament considering it is 15 years old as mentioned :hmmm:
Vat.. all of them must bowl and even after losing all wickets batsman can bat :WTF: Was T20 idea taken from this tournament considering it is 15 years old as mentioned :hmmm:
The basic idea was got from Sevens (rugby) which was introduced to enhance the number of "tries" in a game thereby making it more interesting. I have always liked such variants of different sports...for instance futsal (football). It is a pleasure watching a game of futsal. Some of the futsal players(Ronaldinho, Luis Ronaldo) have even gone on to represent the national football team. There used be a player from Brazil, Falcao (I think), he was a magacian with the ball.:two_thumbs_up: No point in being a traditionalist, gotta enjoy all these new stuffs.:dance:

I remember a special kind of tournament long back where every team was represented by two players. A special fielding squad was selected beforehand that remained the same for every team. It consisted of six overs each. A wicket did not mean the batsman had to walk, it just meant five runs deducted from the score. I remember because India was represented by Kapil and Sachin (the youngest and the oldest at that time). Can't remember if this was an official tourney.

I remember a special kind of tournament long back where every team was represented by two players. A special fielding squad was selected beforehand that remained the same for every team. It consisted of six overs each. A wicket did not mean the batsman had to walk, it just meant five runs deducted from the score. I remember because India was represented by Kapil and Sachin (the youngest and the oldest at that time). Can't remember if this was an official tourney.
Yeah, you are right I remember it too.
I remember something like that, but very very vaguely
Super two's I guess. I haven't seen it but have read about it. The last time I heard of it was when WI (Gayle, Hooper) took on Pakistan (Afridi, some other bloke) in the finals in Carib. Pakis won that one.