Tailender Batting

Rajiv

why it has become increasingly difficult to get out lower order players. Series after series, we see thsi happen, infact series gets decided on their batting. Bangalore Test fightback by Bhajji and Zaheer, changed the series Johnson Hundred in 1st test in RSA, gave them advantage we won Perth game with clever batting from low order
These days I think we're requiring players to have more allround abilities than we did in the past. And, players like Walsh/Ambrose, McGrath had supernatural talent with the ball - something you dont see in the bowlers today. To compensate for that, they have to know how to bat. Also, not enough yorkers bowled to tailenders these days. The bowling, in general, has been rather poor as far as that is concerned. Going on a tangent, (I heard this from a 3rd person, so someone needs to confirm it,) apparently in the early 80s (before the WC), even we had dropped a few bowlers (the spinners, IIRC) from our team because they were unable to bat. And my dad's always said that part of the reason why we won the WC '83 was because of the # of allrounders we carried in the team.