Tailender Batting

Rajiv

As a kid, there's one thing everyone wants to do is Bat. I mean bowling is always fun but there is nothing more exciting than hitting that willow hard for a boundary Since all our cricketers are a product of "gulli" cricket, I find it disturbing that none of our tailenders ( uggh 90s ) can just smash the hell outta theball. When they come to the crease, they seem to pose like an idiot and basically plead the opposition to get them out. There is absolutely no change over the years, a big classy hundred, few change runs to score and none of the tailenders seem to pull it off These guys must have fought for batting turns and scored a few, found their niche in bowling but cmon man, once in a while..just put ur collar up, and smack it I remember back in 96/97, they trained the tailenders to hit at crunch time and wadekar said it with a smirk that they have to start scoring in the end. IIRC Prasad score 23 runs or something in one of the matches after that I know I can't compare gully cricket but once in a while - somebody

i know glenn mcgrath started as a batsman when he was a kid believe it or not, i heard he was the opener for his school teams. I guess for alot of bowlers when you go professional you stick to bowling and lose some technique in batting. commentators make the game so simple when they produce the cliche 'see the ball, hit the ball' but at the highest level that only takes you so far i suppose.

You certainly have a point there. Why in the world do we have bowlers who have nothing to really offer? Munaf Patel runs like he is half dead, he has no spontaneity in his work hence he needs to be sacked for the good now. Munaf and Nehra were laughing to death on the crease when they came out to bat, which shows that they don't care for winning as long as they are done with their bowling part of the game. Munaf almost seemed to not care at all in the end. Praveen Kumar was up for the challenge and wanted to show some guts out there which i appreciated. It's beyond my understanding how an international player can not score mere 5 runs in the end? :wall: We need to seek better bowlers now!!!!!!!!!!!!

why it has become increasingly difficult to get out lower order players. Series after series, we see thsi happen, infact series gets decided on their batting. Bangalore Test fightback by Bhajji and Zaheer, changed the series Johnson Hundred in 1st test in RSA, gave them advantage we won Perth game with clever batting from low order