All time New Zealand XI

Re: All time New Zealand XI

SL all-time XI Atapattu Jayasuriya Sangakkara De Silva Jayawardene Ranatunga* Kaluwitharana+ Vaaaaaaaaaaaaaas Ratnayake Chuckerlitharan Malinga LOL Yeah, i'd back the Kiwi ATXI to beat these mugs anywhere outside the subcon
I like your XI except i'd make a few changes - i'd drop Kalu from the team and instead include either Mendis or Tillekratne. Sanga is a far better keeper than Kalu- who used to drop atleast one chance per match. Kalu couldn't keep to Murali worth lick on the leg-side. Playing Lanka, with Kalu behind the stumps, the rule used to be: ' if you edge murali or any spinner to the legside, its four runs unless SL got a leg-slip/fine leg because Kalu certainly isnt gonna pouch that'.

I like your XI except i'd make a few changes - i'd drop Kalu from the team and instead include either Mendis or Tillekratne. Sanga is a far better keeper than Kalu- who used to drop atleast one chance per match. Kalu couldn't keep to Murali worth lick on the leg-side. Playing Lanka, with Kalu behind the stumps, the rule used to be: ' if you edge murali or any spinner to the legside, its four runs unless SL got a leg-slip/fine leg because Kalu certainly isnt gonna pouch that'.
Wow, i didn't know he was that bad. Although i saw very little of him in Test cricket but in ODIs he was always a very tidy 'keeper. How come he survived for 50 test matches ? Lack of options, i suppose ?

How come he survived for 50 test matches ? Lack of options, i suppose ?
Because he could bat. As crazy as it sounds (now that they got Sanga that is), Kalu was ten times better than the next wicketkeeper in Sri Lanka in the 90s with the bat. Those guys would've been on par with a Bhajji with the bat. Kalu was so bad that they even dropped him from the ODIs for a while and asked Tillekratne to keep in 98 or so despite Tillekratne not having kept for years in tests. But unfortunately Hashan turned out to be a poor man's Dravid behind stumps and so they didnt persist with that idea and recalled Kalu. But then Sanga showed up and Kalu just quickly became history. In other words, Kalu-Sanga comparison is a bit like Deep Dropgupta who's a bit like Afridi with the bat, worse, he bats like Afridi but also bats slower (ie, instead of 9 from 4 balls, its 9 from 15 balls stuff), being compared to Gilly.