Being fat is illegal in Japan ?

Zap_Brannigan

I read this article which mentions that any man with a waist size bigger than 33.5 inches and woman bigger than 35 inches would be caught by the "fat police" and put in a purgatory. Is this for real ? http://www.globalpost.com/dispatch/japan/091109/fat-japan-youre-breaking-the-law?page=0,1 Although i suppose the taxpayers dont want to pay for obese peoples medical bill, this should have set some alarm bell with the human rights board. I hate fat people as much as the next-workout-often-person, but if something like this is enforced in places like India or US, more than half the population would have to lose weight.

I read this article which mentions that any man with a waist size bigger than 33.5 inches and woman bigger than 35 inches would be caught by the "fat police" and put in a purgatory. Is this for real ? http://www.globalpost.com/dispatch/japan/091109/fat-japan-youre-breaking-the-law?page=0,1 Although i suppose the taxpayers dont want to pay for obese peoples medical bill, this should have set some alarm bell with the human rights board. I hate fat people as much as the next-workout-often-person, but if something like this is enforced in places like India or US, more than half the population would have to lose weight.
But why do you hate them? As far as Japan is considered, they have far more dangerous social issues to address like voluntary teenage prostitution and sexual games for underage children etc.

I think something strange/similar happened in New Zealand as well - a fat woman was not allowed through the customs office' date=' IIRC. News courtesy of: "The Colbert Report." :hail:[/quote'] I have heard that a lot of airlines don't allow people who are fat beyond a limit. They are asked to pay more as they cause inconvenience to other passengers. I think most people who are that fat usually have some kind of complex medial problem. This kind of discrimination should not be allowed.

OK' date=' So what abt the Sumo Wrestlers[/quote'] This if for people over 40. Professional Sumo players are somewhere between 20~35, so this might not affect them. I wouldn't be surprised if they have special concessions for Sumo wrestlers and/or the wrestlers pay for their own medical cost and does not depend on govt. healthcare.

This if for people over 40. Professional Sumo players are somewhere between 20~35' date=' so this might not affect them. I wouldn't be surprised if they have special concessions for Sumo wrestlers and/or the wrestlers pay for their own medical cost and does not depend on govt. healthcare.[/quote'] But what when a Sumo wrestler grows to be 40+ (though I have heard that don't have that long a life span, they usually die in early 30s).