If there is a Nobel for filth, India will win it: Jairam

suma25

New Delhi: Environment and Forest Minister Jairam Ramesh, known for making forthright comments, on Friday said if there was any Nobel Prize for dirt and filth, India would get it. "Our cities are dirtiest cities of the world. If there is a Nobel prize for dirt and filth, India will win it, no doubt," he said at a function to release a report of TERI. Ramesh lamented the poor facilities for disposing municipal waste in majority of the cities in the country. The ministers' comments assume significance as the TERI report on 'Green Indian 2047' says that waste management is not given priority in local bodies. There is poor compliance with the solid waste management rules. Nothing new in what he said. Mumbai will probably win hands down as the filthiest city in the country.Even from what I have seen in discovery channels ,travel programmes even cities in our neighboring countries are much more cleaner than most of the cities in our country .This is one area where we are simply pathetic.

The sense of hygiene in our country is frankly appalling. And unlike infrastructure or mass communication, making our roads, govt. buildings, parks and other public infrastructure wont even need multi-billion dollar investments. All we need to do is take some basic steps, like preventing cattle from roaming freely on the roads, enforce anti-littering laws or double the our municipal workforce so that there are more workers to clean the roads and other public spaces and we can see a massive change in our cleanliness standards.

The sense of hygiene in our country is frankly appalling. And unlike infrastructure or mass communication' date=' making our roads, govt. buildings, parks and other public infrastructure wont even need multi-billion dollar investments. All we need to do is take some basic steps, like preventing cattle from roaming freely on the roads, enforce anti-littering laws or double the our municipal workforce so that there are more workers to clean the roads and other public spaces and we can see a massive change in our cleanliness standards.[/quote'] I wouldn't say that the people lack a sense of hygiene. They sure do keep their own houses sparkling clean most of the times. Heck many people don't even allow you to go into their houses with your shoes on. The problem is to make people a little less selfish and consider treating their neighborhood as an extension of their house and keeping that clean too.

It is indeed appalling, but for environmental violations, China leads the world by a huge margin. India would be a runner up though, and it is shameful.
Sorry I would not accept India as a runner up in environmental pollution. US sends 15-20 times more CO2 into the atmosphere on per capita basis than India. India is hardly affecting the environment compared to developed countries. So, if you are saying environmental violations or pollution then India does not stand a chance against the developed countries. This the map of the CO2 emissions per capita map of the world CO2_per_capita_per_country.png And this is the list of countries and their emissions per capita: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_carbon_dioxide_emissions_per_capita India's CO2 emission is gradually increasing while China is multiplying its CO2 emission levels through the last decade or so. But it is but natural that developing countries will gradually increase CO2 emissions because with development there would be factories, industries, infrastructures, modern equipments etc. which will increase the CO2 levels. So, it is right and there is no reason why India should stop its growth for controlling the world's CO2 levels. Even Obama has promised only 14% less CO2 emission by 2020 while they should be ending it as a whole if they are really concerned. India cannot afford the extra costs of reducing CO2 just for the sake of other countries while other countries are still emitting a lot of harmful gases in the environment. India is near the bottom of that CO2 emission per capita list and if the world is serious about environmental pollution then the 138 above us and especially the top 70 countries should reduce their CO2 and bring it at part with us. :winky:
I wouldn't say that the people lack a sense of hygiene. They sure do keep their own houses sparkling clean most of the times. Heck many people don't even allow you to go into their houses with your shoes on. The problem is to make people a little less selfish and consider treating their neighborhood as an extension of their house and keeping that clean too.
I agree. Indians normally have a high sense of hygiene. Almost everybody keeps their home neat and clean but yes Indians do not care much about public property. That should change to improve the hygiene situation. But at the same time, these all things come with education and it will take time for everything to be in order. We are still a developing and so we cannot expect miracles to be happening.

I wouldn't say that the people lack a sense of hygiene. They sure do keep their own houses sparkling clean most of the times. Heck many people don't even allow you to go into their houses with your shoes on. The problem is to make people a little less selfish and consider treating their neighborhood as an extension of their house and keeping that clean too.
Don't think that is quite true....anymore. Keeping a home/house clean is true if, and only if, the owners of the home are conscious about tidiness. This was certainly true when we grew up since our Moms typically would be the center point around which domestic helps would perform their chores. She would typically be overlooking their shoulders making sure that little spec of dust under the table was cleaned or that little spot under the pot was cleaned well. And the days when the servant would not arrive she would be more than capable of doing all those things herself. These days that part has completely vanished and the bra burning brigade has ensured that house cleaning is equated with servile mentality. In effect in most middle class houses today a servant makes twice a day visit rushing to get the hell out of the house and in most cases the house is as clean and tidy as it was before he/she arrived. So no I dont beleive in a typical Indian house being clean anymore. By the way have you ever wondered as to why the desk of an average Indian professional, at home or abroad, is not very clean on most cases?? Generally speaking of course. xxx

The sense of hygiene in our country is frankly appalling. And unlike infrastructure or mass communication' date=' making our roads, govt. buildings, parks and other public infrastructure wont even need multi-billion dollar investments. All we need to do is take some basic steps, like preventing cattle from roaming freely on the roads, enforce anti-littering laws or double the our municipal workforce so that there are more workers to clean the roads and other public spaces and we can see a massive change in our cleanliness standards.[/quote'] I think it will take some investment, if not a lot. For example, the government will have to give the public plenty of easily available dust bins before telling them not to litter. There must be accessible and clean public toilets before telling people not to do their business on roadside bushes. It should be started with the cities at least. In a place like Mumbai, if a woman has to pee, she finds it very difficult to find a place. There are long stretches of roads, sea faces where you can't find a single public toilets. Men who can't hold it any longer have no choice but find a bush or tree. Women are more miserable.

I totally agree. You will find someone peeing in public, on the roadside, will they do the same anywhere near their own house? When I visited Marina Beach/Chennai on a recent trip to India, there was a clear sign for restrooms, yet I saw a couple of guys (seem to be dressed decently) taking a leak right outside the restroom sign. May be the reason was that the restrooms aren't properly maintained, that in itself is another problem. But overall, I must say road cleanliness and garbage collection etc have improved, so we are getting better.