Is Jayawardene really amongst the great?

kabira

. Why is too much made of a 6/16 against the best side in the world by a distance? It deserves the praise. Do you think you will say "too much is made out of" Harbhajan's performance in the '01 series? Besides the Faisalabad win, he played crucial parts in the draws of both the '86 and '88 series. You need to look at it from the perspective of the WI side and resources around the world. There were great fast bowlers and great batsmen to challenge WI - the one thing lacking in any team was an attacking wrist spinner. It was that unknown factor which troubled the WI and resulted in 2 consecutive drawn series. During those times, he brought to the table the unknown element into the attack. There were the Aussies and England who also had good pace attacks but used to get regular wallopings from the WI.
well i agree he was the only world class spinner in the world then,that also wrist spinner.....but to label him great...i dont quite agree...will you put him in the same league as our spin quatret?Do u have any videos of him?some links will be very appereciated.
Reverse swing was a factor in the '90 series, not in the '86 and '88 ones
I dont agree....wasim akram had rained havoc in 1986 series....in the 1st innings in faislabad he took 6 wickets and was the man of the match even in the 88 series Imran took a 7 fer and wasim manged couple of 4 fers........by that time i think they had mastered the art of reverse swing from sarfaraz......who had retired in 84 if i remember...
Aravinda is quite easily the best Sri Lankan bat of all time. Mahila isn't even close to Sanga' date=' forget Aravinda.[/quote'] How can a batsman who averages 36 away (poorly in almost all countires barring SL) be quite easily the best SL bat of all time? Sangakkara has a much more solid technique than De Silva.
well i agree he was the only world class spinner in the world then,that also wrist spinner.....but to label him great...i dont quite agree...will you put him in the same league as our spin quatret?Do u have any videos of him?some links will be very appereciated.
I didn't label him great unless you consider Saqlain and Harbhajan great!
I dont agree....wasim akram had rained havoc in 1986 series....in the 1st innings in faislabad he took 6 wickets and was the man of the match even in the 88 series Imran took a 7 fer and wasim manged couple of 4 fers........by that time i think they had mastered the art of reverse swing from sarfaraz......who had retired in 84 if i remember...
Yaar, I followed those series quite closely and there was hardly any reverse swing - most fast bowlers got top order wickets. Imran was of course in top notch form but there was no replication of '82 which in fact lent weight to the idea that the '82 series was ball tampered.
I didn't label him great unless you consider Saqlain and Harbhajan great!
i dont think they are in the great catagory yet...........harbhajan has a chance but not there yet.
Yaar, I followed those series quite closely and there was hardly any reverse swing - most fast bowlers got top order wickets. Imran was of course in top notch form but there was no replication of '82 which in fact lent weight to the idea that the '82 series was ball tampered.
you followed:hail::hail::hail::hail::hail: i iz no match for thr great professori any comments on the young wasim akram
i dont think they are in the great catagory yet...........harbhajan has a chance but not there yet.
I don't rate Qadir amongst Warne, Murali, and Kumble, but surely at par with Saqlain and Harbhajan.
you followed:hail::hail::hail::hail::hail: i iz no match for thr great professori any comments on the young wasim akram
Akram and Azhar were the geniuses of the mid 80s - neither ended up with great stats but their brilliance was defined by the manner in which they exhibited their skills. Even in the '86-'87 series of India-Pakistan when Akram was a novice he was a consistent threat and it was obvious to anyone watching that he will end up as one of the game's best bowlers. The amount of headlines and media space that Akram got in that series was unprecedented and off the top of my head he ended up averaging in the 30s during the series. But anyone watching the cricket would tell you that this was a potential great because of the swing he got both ways at a good pace. He did not have a lot of control during that time but ended up being one of the biggest reasons for finishing off Srikkanth's career just 2 years later.
I don't rate Qadir amongst Warne, Murali, and Kumble, but surely at par with Saqlain and Harbhajan. Akram and Azhar were the geniuses of the mid 80s - neither ended up with great stats but their brilliance was defined by the manner in which they exhibited their skills. Even in the '86-'87 series of India-Pakistan when Akram was a novice he was a consistent threat and it was obvious to anyone watching that he will end up as one of the game's best bowlers. The amount of headlines and media space that Akram got in that series was unprecedented and off the top of my head he ended up averaging in the 30s during the series. But anyone watching the cricket would tell you that this was a potential great because of the swing he got both ways at a good pace. He did not have a lot of control during that time but ended up being one of the biggest reasons for finishing off Srikkanth's career just 2 years later.
Thnx professor.......i'm a huge akram azhar fan............for me akram is the greatest fast bowler ever.....