PCB to appoint Waqar as coach (with my comments interjected)

Bumper

Link to the orignal article: http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/sports/cricket/top-stories/PCB-may-promote-Waqar-as-new-chief-coach-of-Pakistan-team/articleshow/5333619.cms With my comments plugged in KARACHI: Pakistan Cricket Board might have been working on the possibility of promoting bowling and fielding coach Waqar Younis as the new chief mentor of the national side in place of Intikhab Alam, given his popularity among the present bunch of players (Interject: Only ten of the eleven players hate him) A well informed source in the PCB said that the move to bring in former captain and pace legend Waqar for the tough tour of Australia on an attractive package (Interject: Rs. 25 per hour + popcorn & chips) is part of a bigger picture and long-term thinking (Interject: First two tests vs Australia ) s involved in the process. "Normally, it makes no sense to bring in Waqar (Interject: Thats why we are doing this, dammit!) at this point of time for the Australian tour unless some long term thinking (Interject: at least till the first test against Australia) was not involved. Chief coach Intikhab Alam and assistant coach, Aaqib Javed are already working with the side (Interject: working with the side ? Or working on the slide ?)" the source said. "Apparently, the PCB Chairman Ejaz Butt is looking at Waqar as a long term candidate for the post of chief coach and the days of Intikhab Alam might be numbered as chief coach," the source added. The source also said that Waqar is very popular among the present bunch of players who have lot of respect and regards for him (Interject: His epic work behind the mike ("He came late, but he came good", "Kaneria looks buutiful out there") has earned him a lot of friends). He had also helped the bowlers as they improved a lot during his previous tenure with the team as bowling coach in 2006 (Interject: Wait a second, Akhtar the then lead bowler is no more, Asif fell for dope, Razzaq/Rana for money, 6 months later, there was no cricket. Improvement ?) before he walked out and resigned owing to differences with the board and officials (Interject: Apparently PCB halved his salary to Rs 12.5 per hour) He also said that Waqar could end up drawing fatter perk (Interject: More briyani ?) and bonuses (Interject: and Kheer ?) than Intikhab, if the team and bowlers does well during his coaching tenure. Intikhab is presently drawing a salary of around five lakhs (Interject: Currency is left unstated on purpose) , while Waqar would get a retainer of three lakhs (Interject: You see three is greater than five) and other bonuses. "If the team and bowlers do well during his coaching period, he could end up earning more than the chief coach. (Interject: Assuming Waqar is not fired by then. Its hard to predict with at least three tests to go)" Meanwhile, on former captain Inzamam-ul-Haq playing an influential role in recent decision-making of the board, the source said, "the decision to not appoint Shahid Afridi as captain for the ODI series against Australia despite his recent good form and to make Muhammad Yousuf captain for both Tests and One-dayers, is a clear indication that something is cooking around in the mind of Ejaz Butt and behind the scenes.(Interject: Oh Inzi! Always the one to worry about what is cooking ?)" He pointed out that the decision to name wicketkeeper, Kamran Akmal as vice-captain to Yousuf indicates that the board might look at the possibility of making Akmal the next captain for Tests and ODIs for a longer term. (Interject: That would only be a straight forward and fair extension of captaincy by rotation policy. But by then Umar Akmal and Mohammad Aaemer may have likely formed factions making Kamran the lone crusader) "There is no doubt that Ejaz Butt and the selectors were pretty disappointed when Younus Khan didn't make himself available for the Australian tour (Interject: Its common sense for Pakistani captains to skip tests vs Australia. Ask Inzi) neither did he get in touch with them despite repeated attempts," the source disclosed. He said all the indications are of the view that with Younus Khan's future as captain uncertain and with 2011 World Cup round the corner (Interject: Kidding me ? 2011 world cup round the corner ? That is enough time for 4 coaches, captains, resignations, dope, injury and match fixing) , the board might go for Akmal in the long-term as he remains one of the essential part of the team (Interject: He is the only potential captain who hasnt resigned yet) and one of the few senior players on the block. The Pakistan team will travel straight from New Zealand to Australia for a series of three Tests, five ODIs and a Twenty20 international starting from December 26. In an other development in New Zealand, Waqar has had a detailed discussion with captain Muhammad Yousuf regarding the preparation of the side for the upcoming tour of Australia.(Interject: That is assuming Moyo wont sit out because of a back injury. Thats a huge IF. But certainly a possibility if Lee does not play) In an interview in Napier, where he is commentating for the ongoing series against New Zealand, Waqar said he had conveyed his ideas and plans to Yousuf during their meeting. "I personally feels that Pakistan need to play with five bowlers in Test matches and they need to have all-rounders like Abdul Razzaq or Azhar Mehmood in the team, batting at number six position," Waqar said.( Interject: Thats right! Pakistan is able to consistently rake up 500 on the board & is struggling to bowl sides out. Thats absolutely the right strategy. Any more gems, Wackka ?) Waqar pointed out that in Australia, it is necessary to have five proper bowlers and he had mentioned the names of Abdul Razzaq and Azhar Mahmood as the allrounders to Yousuf, who could be considered for selection. Razzaq and Azhar have not played a single Test for Pakistan for the last three years.( Interject: Makes all the more sense to play them) The pace legend also pointed out that Pakistan's strength lies in its bowling and depends on the likes of Muhammad Asif, Umar Gul, Muhammad Aamer and Danish Kaneria doing well. (Interject: Thats the entire bowling lineup, genius!) "They are doing well and they just require some fine tuning to adjust to Australian conditions, which would going to be different from other cricket playing nations. One could be carried away with the bounce and pace of the Australia pitches," he added.( Interject: You mean batsmen will be carried (on a stretcher) away ?)

Bumper, what is it about this country? After so many screw ups one would think there would be some sanity which would prevail. It's just a never ending saga! Round and round and circles - committing the same blunders over and over again. There used to be the odd factions and politics even within the Indian team, but look at how the team has grown to leave those old days buried in the past. Guys like Dravid resign from captaincy even if it means an effective stop to their ODI career, Tendulkar rubbishes the notion of taking over captaincy again and makes a pro active recommendation for Dhoni. Sehwag and Yuvraj pull their weight behind Dhoni despite being potential candidates who were overlooked in "seniority" and look at the mess Pakistan cricket is! I always try to come up with reasons for it but find most inadequate - why do you think their team culture is a case study in how not to form goals of a group over individuals?

Bumper' date=' what is it about this country? After so many screw ups one would think there would be some sanity which would prevail. It's just a never ending saga! Round and round and circles - committing the same blunders over and over again. There used to be the odd factions and politics even within the Indian team, but look at how the team has grown to leave those old days buried in the past. Guys like Dravid resign from captaincy even if it means an effective stop to their ODI career, Tendulkar rubbishes the notion of taking over captaincy again and makes a pro active recommendation for Dhoni. Sehwag and Yuvraj pull their weight behind Dhoni despite being potential candidates who were overlooked in "seniority" and look at the mess Pakistan cricket is! I always try to come up with reasons for it but find most inadequate - why do you think their team culture is a case study in how not to form goals of a group over individuals?[/quote'] Good question. I reckon this is is a very sensitive topic (for Pakistanis), as its hard to get to the root of these issues without ruffling some feathers. There are multiple reasons IMO: 1) Roots: I would think this is more to do with roots of the respective cricketers. Most Pakistani cricketers emerge as raw talents from remote villages. Most of them are not educated well. By the time they become stars, they arent yet mature enough to handle the media, the new found fame, money etc. Most Indian cricketers are finished products (as personalities) by the time they get to play for India. 2) Lack of role models: There is one Imran Khan and thats about it (but he is too good to emulate!). Its a case of, Akhtar doped too, why cant I ? 3) Tolerance for Indiscipline: If you are talented you can do whatever you want. Wasim fixed matches, never got banned. (whereas Jadeja & Azhar got banned). Akhtar, a "Dennis Rodman" of Pakistani cricket, never paid his dues for his mischiefs, until recently, when he had become so useless to bowl a meaningful spell. After all what good is a bowler who cant bowl phaast anymore. 4) Political culture: Pakistani cricketers and their management, the PCB function much like their country's politicans. Power hungry mofos. Always looking to backstab each other to get to the top. 5) Lack of leadership: I thought Younis Khan had the goods. But he is too immature to be a good leader. If you are a Pakistani captain, your skin's gotta be thick as a Rhino. You need to accept the fact that accepting criticism, handling factions in the team etc is all part of your job. 6) Anything for money: Most of their cricketers come from a poor background and hence are more prone to corruption. They're ready to sell themselves for money. We saw how quickly Moyo, Razzaq, Rana all at the prime of their career sold themselves to ICL. I dont think there are one or two fixes for these issues. As Dhondy put it, the country is morally bankrupt. Grass roots level education is the key. At least that is the first step.
Unfortunately Celeste' date=' these are hard, cold facts. You have to face it man! If you dont agree educate me why Pakistani cricket is a constant state of mess ?[/quote'] I agree with your points except the ICL part. I was asking help in my assignment in chit chat section. :pray: