Imagine that...

Aqua

You are a manager of the mining operations in Namibia, conducted by a multinational company. You employ mainly local workers on very low wages. Your operation provides livelihood for 1,000 families and is the mainstay of the local economy. There is no other local work other than subsistence farming. You have discovered many safety problems with the mine but the company engineer has advised that the cost of upgrading facilities would make the mine uneconomic. Closing the mine would cause a major political stir and harm the parent company?s reputation. But keeping it open risks the chance of a major disaster. What would you do??

Guest dada_rocks

Re: Imagine that... Well no compromise over safety and find ways to cut the head count of employees cut other wasteful costs I am sure every organization has this and see that the firm keeps running. Eventually in long run it should be profitable since those upgrdation cost is sort of intial expenditure not recurring one.

Re: Imagine that... yeah but think abt it this way, its mining... once over, its done... Do you think that the main companies going to keep you as their manager, once u have wasted their money? plus, its namibia... too many people... these people dont care if theres safety... they want to feed their families, which in this case is huge joint type... And dont forget, its basically talking abt shifts, and if a mine collapses, then only tose in that area at that specific time are going to die... Note: Dont feel offended, but this is the way companies think...

Re: Imagine that... if i really hd the powers, i would call a meeting of all the workers and explain the hazards and ask them, if they all want to take pay cuts for a particular period of time, to guarantee tht they will go home safer....

Re: Imagine that... this is namibia... i already mentioned, huge joint families, so lets say bout 2 males are working... these people can go on different shifts... better solution!! So they get the money, and the support (hopefully not necessary) and they can live... These ppl are barely surviving.. its a live or die situation daily 4 them....

Re: Imagine that... but why you not accepting the idea, tht if each person gets half a cup of rice, which is not acceptable... why cant they survive on 3/4 cup per person... we should not even consider anyone's death and support.... the goal is to ensure, not a single person dies...

Re: Imagine that... i wud love to accept that but we're supposed to be thnking the corporate ways... do you think they will accept it? ou will lose ur job... But if i wa in such a situation, i would resign... I'll get a better job definitely...

Re: Imagine that... i think, they will accept it... remember, if they are a multinational, they would not want international human rights to get involved and get their international reputation soiled..... so, if they show them the minimum impact plan, they would definitely laud it....

Re: Imagine that... its not profitable... and its a mine... once done its over...do you think they will just continue or do you think they will close?? Or as you say, do you think they will actually pursue an unprofitable mine??