Ban Perth From Hosting International Matches

Dhondy

That was terrible' date=' imagine if he were a true idiot and had done some harm to the player? These idiots just don't understand. I can bet he would have done for $100. Most of these acts are for a little perk from the mates. I'd like to see the Aussies take the WACA security to task. Imagine if this had happened in Pakistan to an Aussie player? The Aussie player would not have been smiling for sure. He would have painted the town red.[/quote'] Well, Ravi, something of a bigger event happened in Pakistan. The guests were shot at and the police left them alone to the gunfire. While I agree that these two events should not be compared, as long as player security is concerned, this is something to think about. These nuisances have been something of a regular feature in Australia though. I remember a streaker being knocked to the ground by Symonds when we were there 2 years ago.

if that's the case , most of australian grounds need to be banned .. we see streakers running on the ground most of time .. there was a similar incident with symonds and symonds tackled the streaker .. oh ya who cares .. ban perth .. ban melbourne .. ban sydney .. :--D

Well, Ravi, something of a bigger event happened in Pakistan. The guests were shot at and the police left them alone to the gunfire. While I agree that these two events should not be compared, as long as player security is concerned, this is something to think about. These nuisances have been something of a regular feature in Australia though. I remember a streaker being knocked to the ground by Symonds when we were there 2 years ago.
I hear ya.... Australia and Pakistan just no comparison. I don't reckon guns are that rampant in Australia to shoot down a visiting team. Logistically it's a bit hard for the security to control the crowd in Australia if one wants to enter the arena. All he needs to do is jump the fences. It's nigh impossible to keep an eye on every spectator and by the looks of it the idiot picked the player close to the fence. That said if the bloke goes unpunished and a statement not made out of this episode things such as this continue to happen. It's hideous the idiot tackled the player from behind. Loser mentality really.
I hear ya.... Australia and Pakistan just no comparison. I don't reckon guns are that rampant in Australia to shoot down a visiting team. Logistically it's a bit hard for the security to control the crowd in Australia if one wants to enter the arena. All he needs to do is jump the fences. It's nigh impossible to keep an eye on every spectator and by the looks of it the idiot picked the player close to the fence. That said if the bloke goes unpunished and a statement not made out of this episode things such as this continue to happen. It's hideous the idiot tackled the player from behind. Loser mentality really.
Yeah, the guy definitely has to be punished. But as you said, what can the police really do? Maybe the fine and punishment can be increased, but if the ground needs to be an enjoyable place to be at (i.e. without fences separating the players and spectators), then there is always a certain amount of risk that has to be taken I guess.

Rules are the same for everyone and the reaction should be the same for everyone. Had this been Pakistan, I'm sure the Aussies would've threatened to take the next flight home. Had this been India or Sri Lanka or Bangladesh, the Aussies would've registered "protests". But what happens when all this happens in Australia? When streakers run onto the field and Symo needs to take them down? When people throw coins at the Victorian players after they win the T20 Big Bash? When people abuse Harbhajan and the likes with the police just standing there doing nothing? When Monty Panesar is called a "bloody Hindu" and when South African are constantly racially abused? This time, they've taken it a bit too far. But alas, I'm sure Australia is going to brush this under the mat as a one-off incident.

Rules are the same for everyone and the reaction should be the same for everyone. Had this been Pakistan, I'm sure the Aussies would've threatened to take the next flight home. Had this been India or Sri Lanka or Bangladesh, the Aussies would've registered "protests". But what happens when all this happens in Australia? When streakers run onto the field and Symo needs to take them down? When people throw coins at the Victorian players after they win the T20 Big Bash? When people abuse Harbhajan and the likes with the police just standing there doing nothing? When Monty Panesar is called a "bloody Hindu" and when South African are constantly racially abused? This time, they've taken it a bit too far. But alas, I'm sure Australia is going to brush this under the mat as a one-off incident.
true

PICTURE SPECIAL: Australian fan who rugby tackled Pakistan's Khalid Latif banned from cricket for life but fined just £277 article-0-0818D88F000005DC-292_87x84.jpg The WACA pitch invader who tackled Pakistan's Khalid Latif has been banned for life from attending cricket matches but faces only a 500-dollar fine and Australia captain Ricky Ponting has joined the call for harsher punishments.0yrTFo3yMmoMore... Australian fan who rugby tackled Pakistan's Khalid Latif banned from cricket for life but fined just £277 Last updated at 10:11 AM on 01st February 2010 Comments (0) Add to My Stories The WACA pitch invader who tackled Pakistan's Khalid Latif has been banned for life from attending cricket matches but faces only a 500-dollar fine and Australia captain Ricky Ponting has joined the call for harsher punishments. The actions of 37-year-old Yangebup man David James Fraser in running onto the WACA in yesterday's fifth one-day international and tackling Latif to the ground made a mockery of the ground's security and dented the WACA's reputation. WACA chief executive Graeme Wood will have Fraser banned for life from the Perth venue, but WA laws mean he can only be fined 500 Australian dollars - around £277. article-0-0818DB67000005DC-414_468x510.jpg Surprise: David James Fraser gets ready to grab Khalid Latif... article-0-0818D88F000005DC-372_468x618.jpg ...gets a grip ... article-0-0818D9DA000005DC-740_468x417.jpg ...brings his man to ground... article-0-0818DB13000005DC-841_468x310.jpg ...before looking outraged at being carried away by security men. He was fined just 500 dollars for his stunt but banned from cricket matches for life He has been charged by police with assault and trespass and will face court in late February, but Ponting wants him made an example out of. 'I just hope I never see that again to tell you the truth,' said Ponting. 'I had seen that once a long time ago and that ended up being a horrible incident and seeing it again it is a worry. 'Obviously we don't condone that sort of behaviour and it's unfortunately a small minority of the crowd that turns up to do something stupid like that which puts everyone in the same boat. article-0-07FD91BF000005DC-713_306x705.jpg Unimpressed: Australia skipper Ricky Ponting 'Hopefully we don't see that happen again. There was a lot of security around there and even more after it happened, but we'd like to think that it doesn't happen in Australia again. 'There were a lot of security around, but they've only got a certain amount of arms and legs I guess. If you take them all from one part of the ground to put them there then maybe it happens somewhere else. 'It's the spectator's responsibility. You can't turn up and act like that at a game of cricket. I hope it's now a police matter because that's what it deserves to be.' Asked how the what should happen in future, Ponting said: 'Making a very good example of this guy is a good way to start. 'If you make a good example of him and make it clear to everybody that turns up at the cricket that that sort of behaviour is unacceptable. 'We turn up as players and want to put on the best show that we can, and it was a tense moment of the game as well with it in the balance. 'As far as I'm concerned, I don't want to see those people at the ground if they are going to behave like that.' Ponting also revealed that had he been the fielding captain and one of his players was attacked that there would have been the possibility of the Australians leaving the field. Instead, Pakistan's stand-in skipper Shahid Afridi had his own ball-tampering issues to deal with in the dying overs as well as trying to guide his team to a first victory on tour. 'If I was the fielding captain I would have definitely brought all the players in and had a chat about how they felt about it (staying out there),' he said. 'That wasn't the first spectator to come onto the ground either and that's what I would have done if I was the captain out there, but luckily for us we were the batting team at the time.'

Cricket Australia set to be punished over Waca pitch invader [The International Cricket Council has asked Cricket Australia for a report into the breach of security that allowed a spectator to enter the field of play during Australia's fifth one-day international against Pakistan at the Waca in Perth yesterday and tackle the Pakistan opener Khalid Latif to the ground. More... Cricket Australia set to be punished over Waca pitch invader • 37-year-old intruder pushes over Pakistan opener Latif • Ponting supports life ban as ICC asks CA for detailed report guardian.co.uk, Monday 1 February 2010 The International Cricket Council has asked Cricket Australia for a report into the breach of security that allowed a spectator to enter the field of play during Australia's fifth one-day international against Pakistan at the Waca in Perth yesterday and tackle the Pakistan opener Khalid Latif to the ground. The incident occurred in the 46th over of Australia's innings. Latif was brought down from behind by 37-year-old David James Fraser but was uninjured. The spectator has been charged with assault and given a life ban from the ground. He was also fined A$500 (£280). "Obviously the ICC is very disappointed by the incident," an ICC spokesperson told Cricinfo. "There has been a clear security breach. We have asked CA to send us a detailed report on the incident before we can make any comment." Given the ICC's zero tolerance for such breaches, the matter is being viewed with concern and it could be brought up at the ICC executive board meeting in Dubai from 9-11 February. Ricky Ponting, the Australia captain, said: "I just hope I never see that again to tell you the truth. I had seen that once a long time ago and that ended up being a horrible incident and seeing it again is a worry. "Obviously we don't condone that sort of behaviour and it's unfortunately a small minority of the crowd that turns up to do something stupid like that which puts everyone in the same boat. There was a lot of security around there and even more after it happened, but we'd like to think that it doesn't happen in Australia again. Asked what should happen in future, Ponting said: "Making a very good example of this guy is a good way to start. If you make a good example of him and make it clear to everybody that turns up at the cricket that sort of behaviour is unacceptable. As far as I'm concerned, I don't want to see those people at the ground if they are going to behave like that." The PCB is thought to be considering pursuing the matter though it has yet to make an official statement. Officials are expected to make an announcement later today.