Ban Perth From Hosting International Matches

Dhondy

Shocking attack on an international player by an idiot. Where was the security? Had this happened in India or Pakistan, I'd bet my bottom dollar that there would have been huge repercussions, including a ban on the host centre. Well, let's see the rules being applied equally to everybody. Perth shouldn't be allowed to host matches for the foreseable future and CA need a slap on their wrist.

Lets be very clear in one thing - what happened today was simply unacceptable and should not have happened. As the cliche goes, anything could have happened. There is no way a spectator should ever be allowed to get that close to a player. While its important that we do recognize the gravity of what happened, I think its also fair that we keep things within the perspective of the general spectator-stadia policies followed in countries like Australia, England etc. Just one look at the cricket grounds of these countries and its obvious that the Authorities want to provide the spectators with the best cricket viewing experience as possible, whether it be the extremely well-staggered seating arrangements, or the concept of just 4-5 foot high fences separating the spectators and the playing field. That gives all the spectators a close-proximity experience with the action on the field. And this system has worked reasonably so far. With this mind, its only reasonable to expect that the odd lunatic is going to misuse the liberties given to him and breach the line of defences and venture into the playing field. Does that warrant a total change in spectator policies? Should countries like Australia, U.K go the India way and erect 15 foot high barbed fences and moats to keep spectators away from the field? I dont think so. I am sure Cricket Australia will conduct a full review of their spectator policies in light of what happened today. Maybe they can deploy more crowd facing security personnel and guard dogs, maybe they can have system by which, if a spectator does manage to get into the field, a warning blast can be given using a siren to alert all the players on field. But a ban of a famed international venue because of a drunk idiot? I think thats just too harsh.

With this mind, its only reasonable to expect that the odd lunatic is going to misuse the liberties given to him and breach the line of defences and venture into the playing field. Does that warrant a total change in spectator policies? Should countries like Australia, U.K go the India way and erect 15 foot high barbed fences and moats to keep spectators away from the field? I dont think so.
That would never happen in Australia, UK or SA. They would simply drive the spectators from coming to a match in these countries. Unlike India, spectators in these countries treat these as a day out and like to have a leisurely experience especially during the tests. I mean the game is played only in the Summer in these countries. Erecting fences and removing the picnic atmosphere will simply not happen.

See the thing which people are not trying to focus on is that Shahid Afridi actually did that bloody thing twice. Not once, but twice. Once during Asif's over, one during Rana's. The guy should be banned for 6 months or so. Plus at the the topic, Fair decisions should be taken. Put grills on the ground now on for Aussie spectators also.

See the thing which people are not trying to focus on is that Shahid Afridi actually did that bloody thing twice. Not once, but twice. Once during Asif's over, one during Rana's. The guy should be banned for 6 months or so.
thats because there is another topic for it miyan

I can't believe people are actually convinced that this is one of thing and nothing of these sorts would happen again. I would like to be reminded how many times have these streakers broken the "security web" in Australia and almost got close to a "striking range" towards the players ? As Dhondy mentioned, a full inquiry + Aussies/opponents would be moaning over this "farce" and called for a ban.

That was terrible, imagine if he were a true idiot and had done some harm to the player? These idiots just don't understand. I can bet he would have done for $100. Most of these acts are for a little perk from the mates. I'd like to see the Aussies take the WACA security to task. Imagine if this had happened in Pakistan to an Aussie player? The Aussie player would not have been smiling for sure. He would have painted the town red.