Are brahmins new dalit: Old article but very pertinent

Guest dada_rocks

Guest dada_rocks

Re: Are brahmins new dalit: Old article but very pertinent Few more excerpts: At Tamil Nadu's Ranganathaswamy Temple, a priest's monthly salary is Rs 300 (Census Department studies) and a daily allowance of one measure of rice. The government staff at the same temple receive Rs 2,500 plus per month. But these facts have not modified the priests' reputation as 'haves' and as 'exploiters.' The destitution of Hindu priests has moved none, not even the parties known for Hindu sympathy.

Guest dada_rocks

Re: Are brahmins new dalit: Old article but very pertinent The Indian government gives Rs 1,000 crores (Rs 10 billion) for salaries of imams in mosques and Rs 200 crores (Rs 2 billion) as Haj subsidies. But no such help is available to Brahmins and upper castes. As a result, not only the Brahmins, but also some of the other upper castes in the lower middle class are suffering in silence today, seeing the minorities slowly taking control of their majority.

Re: Are brahmins new dalit: Old article but very pertinent brahmins indeed are the dalits, currently... firstly, i dont believe the accuracy of the census... i believe there are far more brahmins thn they calculated the quotas for.... all intelligent brahmins are not assured of proper education because of this... gettin a government job for a brahmin is totally ruled out.... after the quotas, the general category job are sold for money and influence and usually, brahmins dont know as many politicians or rowdy leaders... The thing that irks me the most is, the subsidies for the muslim imams and haj trips and fucking 400 rupees for a brahmin priest..... :mad: i still dont know, if we are ruled by congress or Babar...

Re: Are brahmins new dalit: Old article but very pertinent I was seriously preparing for the Indian Civil Services when every one of my mates going abroad.....And then it HIT me....The year Mandal was introduced and my chances decrease by another 25% and I have to give up trying Took the easier route of Software Route and never regretted that after seeing these Top Public Servants saluting the goonda politicians

Re: Are brahmins new dalit: Old article but very pertinent I think one of the best routes is to provide free education to people who are not well off and charge higher fees from people who can afford it. With taxes and disclosure of income becoming more transparent its not the impossible task it was a few years ago. Once education is done on this model jobs should be purely on merit.

Re: Are brahmins new dalit: Old article but very pertinent

I just dont like this whole concept of reservation based on anything. There should be more localized jobs created that's all.
Thats a tad unfair for the unfortunate and the poor. They do need help to come up. I dont mind reservations implemented with some restrictiions: 1) Grant reservations to families based on total income of the family. 2) Limit no. of reservations granted per family. U dont need to help the same family generation after generation. But reservations as they are implemented are never intended to benefit the truly unfortunate anyways. Theres no way anything is gonna change.

Re: Are brahmins new dalit: Old article but very pertinent I like the concept of free school education for the poor Bumper. But as soon as you start reserving seats for something as hotly contested as IIT/IIM, or the private sector, that results in a lot of corruption and hurt feelings.

Guest dada_rocks

brahmins indeed are the dalits, currently... firstly, i dont believe the accuracy of the census... i believe there are far more brahmins thn they calculated the quotas for.... all intelligent brahmins are not assured of proper education because of this... gettin a government job for a brahmin is totally ruled out.... after the quotas, the general category job are sold for money and influence and usually, brahmins dont know as many politicians or rowdy leaders... The thing that irks me the most is, the subsidies for the muslim imams and haj trips and fucking 400 rupees for a brahmin priest..... :mad: i still dont know, if we are ruled by congress or Babar...
Sample this: all big temples managmenet one by one is being moved to govt but no such thing exists for minority community religious places

Guest dada_rocks

Re: Are brahmins new dalit: Old article but very pertinent Just recently LUcknow municipilaty invited application for cleaners position brahmins applied in droves and lower caste raised stink over it. They didn't lilke their application bid and it was a huge brouhaha. SO many might think brahmins don't want to be employed in menial position but that's not the case..

Guest dada_rocks

still dont know' date=' if we are ruled by congress or Babar...[/quote'] hehehee if Jinnah was alive he would have been dissapointed for having created Pakistan ...
oppose these deep-rooted double standards and get crowned as hindu extremists

Re: Are brahmins new dalit: Old article but very pertinent lol, that's the irony you know KR.. I can't speak for the rest of the Brahmins, but I can speak from personal experience. I still find my dad and uncles putting themselves on a "high moral pedestal", and they follow their ideological principles even though they might get burdened financially. It can get really irritating at times :wall:. Another thing, we suck at business, although with the country taking off in entrepreneurship, a few kids are taking up some risks but that's few and far between. Still, I do feel that the opening post is a bit exaggerated. In my view most brahmins belong to the lower and middle classes and not many pierce the upper class. But amassing wealth was never their role in society anyway. Of course, the dalits have been in a lot worse condition, and to compare Brahmins to them would be a bit of a disservice to the Dalits. Remember that it's not just the financial oppression that they suffer from, but also years of social stigma and a victim mentality that needs to be soothed.

Re: Are brahmins new dalit: Old article but very pertinent Very good points varun. Having read a few of your posts on social issues, I think u gotta very level hedaded perspective of issues around you. Ur posts on these subjects, always make an interesting read. Keep doin it, u have a fan in me. :wtg: I never saw u write more than a few lines of posts at the old board. :hic:

lol, that's the irony you know KR.. I can't speak for the rest of the Brahmins, but I can speak from personal experience. I still find my dad and uncles putting themselves on a "high moral pedestal", and they follow their ideological principles even though they might get burdened financially. It can get really irritating at times :wall:. Another thing, we suck at business, although with the country taking off in entrepreneurship, a few kids are taking up some risks but that's few and far between. Still, I do feel that the opening post is a bit exaggerated. In my view most brahmins belong to the lower and middle classes and not many pierce the upper class. But amassing wealth was never their role in society anyway. Of course, the dalits have been in a lot worse condition, and to compare Brahmins to them would be a bit of a disservice to the Dalits. Remember that it's not just the financial oppression that they suffer from, but also years of social stigma and a victim mentality that needs to be soothed.
Good Post Varun. I agree with your post. But , I would like to add that IT Sector has facilitated entrepreneurship among Brahmins to some extent. Still, they are absent in Brick and Mortar companies in terms of entrepreneurship.

Re: Are brahmins new dalit: Old article but very pertinent @KR: Yeah that's the field that I had in mind when I referred to entrepreneurship amongst Brahmins. And, thanks Bumper. I guess it's gotta do with knowing that the thread will not get deleted anytime soon :lol: . Though to be fair, I know Anil's hand is forced many a times by SN.