The list of cities in contention for the 2 new franchises

Rajma Chawal

The Sun isn't is a newspaper, it's a magazine for those who are stupid enough that they can't read actual newspapers. But its probably Man City because Man U and Liverpool are heavily in debt, Arsenal aren't exactly brimming with cash and I can't see Abramovich suddenly getting interested in Cricket.

And what difference does it make who the Abu Dhabi people get, its not Football where they can pay players exorbitant wages to play for them. The IPL has a salary cap and rightly so so the competition remains even. It won't make any difference to the new franchise but it will probably increase City's popularity in India.

Ahmedabad and Nagpur will get the two franchisees IMO Ahmedabad is an important market and a comparatively rich city and would surely get it .. Modi trusts Maharastra a lot it seems as he schedules nearly everything in Mumbai ... Nagpur is also in Maharastra though not in its main areas and it has a good stadium .. I predicted these two cities a long time back and it seems these two will finally make it to the next two franchisees

Guest DeveGowda
Ahmedabad and Nagpur will get the two franchisees IMO Ahmedabad is an important market and a comparatively rich city and would surely get it .. Modi trusts Maharastra a lot it seems as he schedules nearly everything in Mumbai ... Nagpur is also in Maharastra though not in its main areas and it has a good stadium .. I predicted these two cities a long time back and it seems these two will finally make it to the next two franchisees
Its better if a State doesnt get 2 franchises. Ahmedbad and Kanpur seems better options.. but nobody knows how Modi or BCCI thinks

Its better if a State doesnt get 2 franchises. Ahmedbad and Kanpur seems better options.. but nobody knows how Modi or BCCI thinks
I agree.. I would also like to see Ahmedabad and Kanpur being different states. Anyways UP is the largest state and deserves a franchisee via Kanpur. But the points in favour of Nagpur are that: 1. Nagpur is in Maharastra but it is at the other border of Maharastra and AFAIK it falls in Vadarbha region and is at the other end of Maharastra compared to Mumbai. So, franchisees would work here because it is not so closely connected with Mumbai as maybe Pune or other Maharastrian mega-city are. 2. The biggest benefit for Nagpur is that they have two big stadiums of which the new Vidarbha Cricket Association Stadium is one of the best for ODI matches as we have seen in recent years. That would be perfect for T20 too and that helps. 3. Nagpur people are crazy about cricket and we have seen that in recent years. Kanpur are also passionate but I felt the Nagpur crowd to be awesome in the recent matches. Both the Nagpur's new statdium as well as the Green Park in Kanpur have same 45000 seat capacity but the stadium and facilities in Nagpur are better as it is new. Thats why I feel Nagpur might bag the second franchisee instead of Kanpur.

Guest DeveGowda
I agree.. I would also like to see Ahmedabad and Kanpur being different states. Anyways UP is the largest state and deserves a franchisee via Kanpur. But the points in favour of Nagpur are that: 1. Nagpur is in Maharastra but it is at the other border of Maharastra and AFAIK it falls in Vadarbha region and is at the other end of Maharastra compared to Mumbai. So, franchisees would work here because it is not so closely connected with Mumbai as maybe Pune or other Maharastrian mega-city are. 2. The biggest benefit for Nagpur is that they have two big stadiums of which the new Vidarbha Cricket Association Stadium is one of the best for ODI matches as we have seen in recent years. That would be perfect for T20 too and that helps. 3. Nagpur people are crazy about cricket and we have seen that in recent years. Kanpur are also passionate but I felt the Nagpur crowd to be awesome in the recent matches. Both the Nagpur's new statdium as well as the Green Park in Kanpur have same 45000 seat capacity but the stadium and facilities in Nagpur are better as it is new. Thats why I feel Nagpur might bag the second franchisee instead of Kanpur.
Your Points are Good...But its always better to have Sprread the Game..IPL is in Just 3rd year and have great chance to build fan base...if Nagpur made One more franchise you wont get too Many local stars..most of them are with MI...also this new franchise may make MI popularity bit less in taht region of Maha... Eventhough this is a City based Franchise unlike EPL..here entire State supports the team .. In last IPL people After Match review in local channels here in Karanataka people from differnt parts are calling and expressing their joy....if you take that into count Stadium facility can be compromised... At the end of day wherever franchises created we will get to see good cricket thats what most importnat..:winky: .

Your Points are Good...But its always better to have Sprread the Game..IPL is in Just 3rd year and have great chance to build fan base...if Nagpur made One more franchise you wont get too Many local stars..most of them are with MI...also this new franchise may make MI popularity bit less in taht region of Maha... Eventhough this is a City based Franchise unlike EPL..here entire State supports the team .. In last IPL people After Match review in local channels here in Karanataka people from differnt parts are calling and expressing their joy....if you take that into count Stadium facility can be compromised... At the end of day wherever franchises created we will get to see good cricket thats what most importnat..:winky: .
I agree.. but Green Park was also not found satisfactory by ICC recently if I am not incorrect.. so that also makes it lesser chance.. I personally would like to see a franchisee in either UP or MP as those are two huge states and will get incredible fan base and support .. If thats the case, then I might also go for Indore or Gwalior as they are in another big state MP

Guest DeveGowda
I agree.. but Green Park was also not found satisfactory by ICC recently if I am not incorrect.. so that also makes it lesser chance.. I personally would like to see a franchisee in either UP or MP as those are two huge states and will get incredible fan base and support .. If thats the case' date=' then I might also go for Indore or Gwalior as they are in another big state MP[/quote'] i forgot about MP...indore may be a option.... Also kochin is another one..but we already have 3 in South so its fine if they missed.. Also this time only BIG people can buy Franchises unlike last time as the reserve price itself is $220 mil..No wonder if prices reach $500 mil....(everyone wants IPL)

i forgot about MP...indore may be a option.... Also kochin is another one..but we already have 3 in South so its fine if they missed.. Also this time only BIG people can buy Franchises unlike last time as the reserve price itself is $220 mil..No wonder if prices reach $500 mil....(everyone wants IPL)
I hope Sahara gets one of the new franchisees.. they have done a lot of work and spent a lot of money for Indian sports and I would really like to see them at least an IPL team which is quite cheap considering the huge amount of money they are spending in sports in all these years

Guest DeveGowda
I hope Sahara gets one of the new franchisees.. they have done a lot of work and spent a lot of money for Indian sports and I would really like to see them at least an IPL team which is quite cheap considering the huge amount of money they are spending in sports in all these years
But is Sahara in good position ? (No issues with their buseness ?)

I agree.. but Green Park was also not found satisfactory by ICC recently if I am not incorrect.. so that also makes it lesser chance.. I personally would like to see a franchisee in either UP or MP as those are two huge states and will get incredible fan base and support .. If thats the case' date=' then I might also go for Indore or Gwalior as they are in another big state MP[/quote'] what about the Kotla? Thats still hosting IPL games. If Kanpur doesn't get it, then Indore would be my choice.

what about the Kotla? Thats still hosting IPL games. If Kanpur doesn't get it, then Indore would be my choice.
I agree about the Kotla point and thought somebody would raise it soon .. but that is already a franchisee and the capital city of India .. so we cannot give it a miss ... Delhi and Mumbai are huuuge markets and IPL cannot afford to miss them I agree with the Indore stadium too though I wont disappointed with Nagpur too