Sehwag proves once again: Batting Strike rate matters a heck in tests.

patriot

You're going off topic here as you know/have realized that SRT is a more consistent performer than Sehwag. The 50 or more runs in at least one inning of a match is pretty good way to measure their consistencies as both players average 50+ and to do justice to the average a player should more often than not get his average score. I always held Sehwag's biggest drawback as being his inconsistency - getting a good score in one out of every 3 matches - and as it comes at the top of the order it does put the middle order under pressure more times than not. Of course' date=' he is still the best opener we have had in 2 decades but that is a reflection of how poor our opening batsmen stock has been.[/quote'] Teacoup - Basic maths. If you keep plundering MASSIVE centuries and also be the most consistent 50+ getter, you would average round about what Bradman did - about a 100. I hope you understand that. For someone who is not even a natural opener to come in and defy totally opening batsmanship in tests the way he has and smash record doubles and triples - his natural ability is many moons above the master " blaster ". The moment you pretend not to sleep, you would also realise this. Again - if you think his job is not tougher , what do you think about SRT opening the batting in tests ? Why do you think he never took it up, being that we, in your own words din't have an opener for a long time, since Gavaskar.
Teacoup - Basic maths. If you keep plundering MASSIVE centuries and also be the most consistent 50+ getter, you would average round about what Bradman did - about a 100. I hope you understand that. For someone who is not even a natural opener to come in and defy totally opening batsmanship in tests the way he has and smash record doubles and triples - his natural ability is many moons above the master " blaster ". The moment you pretend not to sleep, you would also realise this. Again - if you think his job is not tougher , what do you think about SRT opening the batting in tests ? Why do you think he never took it up, being that we, in your own words din't have an opener for a long time, since Gavaskar.
Looks like you have finally accepted the fact, even though you are trying to put a spin on it. I have already shown SRT's avg when scoring 50 or more is almost as much as Sehwag's. I would always choose two SRTs over two VS in a hypothetical XI for the simple reason that I am assured of a good score from him more often than Sehwag.
Looks like you have finally accepted the fact' date=' even though you are trying to put a spin on it. I have already shown SRT's avg when scoring 50 or more is almost as much as Sehwag's. I would always choose two SRTs over two VS in a hypothetical XI for the simple reason that I am assured of a good score from him more often than Sehwag.[/quote'] Yes, I have finally excepted the fact that, you understand neither, averages nor cricket. :nervous:. If someone who sets up victory platform single handedly by brutally destroying the opposition in roughly 1 match out of every 3 , imagine what could 2 of the same kind do. Go figure.
Avg of 36 in the 4th innings, makes SRT a colossus ? :hmmm::hysterical:. Interesting comical delusions. In any case, most matches are won in the 1st ( and 2nd ) innings , which is why Sehwag is probably the greatest match winning batter of all time, Avg + strike rate in setting up a victory unprecedented and unparalleled.
I said 'Has become a colossus'. Mian, in the last two years SRT averages a combined 52 in the third and fourth innings. BTW just so you know SRT averages more than Sehwag in the first against non minnows 'when most matches are won'. And as much as it pains you, Sehwag is almost a Devang Gandhi in the 3rd and 4th innings. Most Indian SRT critics like yourself have used the 3rd+4th innings to put him down but Veeru is even more pathetic in those innings. Just a single ton out of 19 is testament to that. So basically what can be inferred is that, Veeru is amazing when the pitch is alright but crumbles when the pitch starts to assist the bowlers. And given his inferior record to Ganguly outside the subcon, he prefers the flat tracks of Asia than tracks outside Asia.
You either feel ashamed and guilty of winning in Asia and India or think that these are lesser places to win. Surely - you must not think too highly of the current win too. And you probably should also not think much about us being NO.1 , after all we have lost soundly in RSA, never won a series in Aus. And if that's the case and that Asia is such a cake walk - why did the rest of our batters surrender so tamely in Lanka's den against Murali/ Mendis company in the 2000's . Did anyone else even make a ton in Lanka for so many years ? And before that 2004 tour to Pak, how many Indian batters molested the Pak phasssssst bowlers in their own den ? ...and made a habit of it ? Try harder next time.:winky:
So then you accept Ganguly is better than Veeru outside Asia. Job done. B-> No one wants to put Veeru down because every Indian fan loves him. But because you have always been on a mission to put Veeru on a pedestal by putting down SRT, you will find equal and opposite reactions w.r.t to Veeru's shortcomings.
we also didnt have middle order batsman of any great repute .... common sense says put your best batsman in the middle order ... because if he gets out the rest start doing su-su .... like what used to happen in ODI' in the 90's. And speaking of ODI's his avg as opener is 48 ... higher than any opener has managed over 300+ ODI's . and I see that you coveniently ignoring my posts :hmmm:
LOL...I don't have the time to answer anyone and everyones, everypost in the SRT fan brigade. I don't enjoy debating with you, because your logic makes zilch sense - and I have a feeling you know it too. You are perhaps the first person of a kind of thinks that the 2nd innings is of lesser importance than 1st. Mildly put, thats how senile your logic is. I don't think you will find any takers for that logic. It is really amusing that you quote cricket cliches selectively ( " put your best batsman in the middle order" ) but ignore far more common ones to suit yourself ( " batting only once, or batting big, to avoid chasing a big total in the 4th innings/ 5th day). Really no point arguing with you. And why bring in ODIS ? Also If he has opened in ODI's - why not do the same in tests, atleast he had some experience with the new ball, white one, albeit. Was Gavaskar , India's best test bat or not ? Seriously, Bheem, I can tear apart all your biased logic to shreds, but I neither have the time or patience for it.
I said 'Has become a colossus'. Mian' date=' in the[b'] last two years SRT averages a combined 52 in the third and fourth innings. BTW just so you know SRT averages more than Sehwag in the first against non minnows 'when most matches are won'. And as much as it pains you, Sehwag is almost a Devang Gandhi in the 3rd and 4th innings. Most Indian SRT critics like yourself have used the 3rd+4th innings to put him down but Veeru is even more pathetic in those innings. Just a single ton out of 19 is testament to that.
LOL...more selective silly stats. You could pull out only 2 " colossal" years in 20 years of test cricket, then ? :--D My share of selective stat : Last 2 years Sehwag has scored test runs at a strike rate of nearly 100 ( at an average of 61) . What is SRT's ODI strike rate in the last 2 great years that he has had ?
So basically what can be inferred is that, Veeru is amazing when the pitch is alright but crumbles when the pitch starts to assist the bowlers. And given his inferior record to Ganguly outside the subcon, he prefers the flat tracks of Asia than tracks outside Asia.
What's inferior about Asia man ? The only thing, I see inferior in the above post is the respect you have for scoring runs in Asia. Below is a piece of stat that may help clear a delusion of yours that other batters have scored well in the " flat tracks" in Asia. India's batter's average in Lanka in the last decade[/b] Dravid: Avg of 34 in 6 matches, 0 tons VVS Laxman: Avg of 43 in 6 matches, 0 tons Link Ganguly: Avg of 23.81 :hehe: in 6 matches, 0 tons http://stats.cricinfo.com/ci/engine/player/28779.html?class=1;filter=advanced;home_or_away=2;opposition=8;orderby=default;spanmin1=01+Jan+2000;spanval1=span;template=results;type=batting SRT : Avg of 15.83 in 3 matches , 0 tons http://bit.ly/ct9faj Hmmmmmmm ...so a the combined gang of Indian middle order maharathis could not conjure up a single ton in a combined 21 tests on the flat, easy, peasy tracks of subcontinental Sri Lanka. ( according to you) :hmmm::hmmm::hmmm::hmmm::hmmm::hmmm::hmmm::hmmm::hmmm: How telling !!!! Where else do they have such a pathetic combined record, outside these " flat, easy" Asian pitches ????
No one wants to put Veeru down because every Indian fan loves him. But because you have always been on a mission to put Veeru on a pedestal by putting down SRT, you will find equal and opposite reactions w.r.t to Veeru's shortcomings
. Neither do I, intend to put down SRT, because I like him too . But, I do not think he is the colossus that he is being made out to be by his fans. Good night.
Yes, I have finally excepted the fact that, you understand neither, averages nor cricket. :nervous:. If someone who sets up victory platform single handedly by brutally destroying the opposition in roughly 1 match out of every 3 , imagine what could 2 of the same kind do. Go figure.
My little friend, you have shown your knowledge of both statistics and cricket in that one statement. Sehwag scores 50+ in one out of 3 matches (as against SRT's one out of 2 matches) but not every 50+ score is a potential match winning inning. For goodness sake, don't you know that he just scored his 19th century in his 76th match? As you're poor in math, let me interpret that for you: it is one in every 4 matches that he gets a century. That is not nearly good enough for a player who is also inconsistent. Even on this count, Sachin is better. He gets a century in every 3.5 matches played.
None. You are probably can't read well. If you can't read the whole post, Il take an excerpt out
Below is a piece of stat that may help clear a delusion of yours that other batters have scored well in the " flat tracks" in Asia. India's batter's average in Lanka in the last decade
The reason I chose last decade and not the 90's , is because Sri Lankan tracks this decade have not been as easy as they once used to be. Not like the 90's where Lankan's once scored 900+ runs in Colombo against us. PS: I don;t know what madrasa maths is - seeing your logical abilities - you might as well learn something there and then share your story here. Kab join ho raha hai ?
Gambo' date=' Guess who said this elsewhere ...[/quote'] Read the above post again ,dear friend. I said Lankan tracks. They certainly have not proved to be flat easy tracks for Indian batters in the last 2 tours over the decade. If anything, they have proved to be the most difficult and not the " flat subcontinental tracks" that Gambit is trying to dismiss them as.

It is simple, if you have a team of Sehwags as batsmen the success of the team will be hit or miss. You will rarely have draws. If you have instead a team of Sachins as batsmen, the team will win many more matches than it loses and you will have some draws as well, many of which would have been losses if not for the consistency factor.

overall  	198  	1992-2000  	36  	1156  	152  	31120  	340  	30.99  	66  	149  	122  	3504  	171
Between 1992-2000, 31120 runs scored at an average of 30.99 per batsman.
overall  	254  	2001-2009  	48  	1736  	220  	46505  	374  	30.67  	95751  	48.56  	86  	211  	192  	5536  	225
More matches played at a slightly smaller average. But if you take away Bangladesh from this decade:
overall  	250  	2001-2009  	48  	1628  	200  	40914  	374  	28.65  	86843  	47.11  	68  	187  	187  	4870  	189
A significant decrease of over 2 runs per batsman. Of course this is taking into account all teams. If we're only looking at how easy it is for other folks to bat in Sri Lanka: in the 00s:
 overall  	67  	2001-2009  	37  	642  	91  	20084  	374  	36.45  	38559  	52.08  	43  	88  	58  	2468  	85  	investigate this query 
http://stats.cricinfo.com/ci/engine/stats/index.html?class=1;filter=advanced;groupby=overall;host=8;opposition=1;opposition=140;opposition=2;opposition=3;opposition=4;opposition=5;opposition=6;opposition=7;orderby=runs;spanmax1=21+Feb+2010;spanmin1=1+Jan+2001;spanval1=span;template=results;type=batting And in the 90s: http://stats.cricinfo.com/ci/engine/stats/index.html?class=1;filter=advanced;groupby=overall;host=8;opposition=1;opposition=140;opposition=2;opposition=3;opposition=4;opposition=5;opposition=6;opposition=7;orderby=runs;spanmax2=1+Jan+2001;spanmin2=1+Jan+1991;spanval2=span;template=results;type=batting

overall  	40  	1992-2000  	32  	508  	70  	13878  	340  	31.68  	30079  	46.13  	28  	60  	51  	1675  	60

So, in this decade, it has been easier for foreign teams to bat in SL (36.45 average) than in the previous decade (ignoring Bangladesh of course).

There goes another nonsense peddled by patriot.
Poking your @$$ randomly, in between threads doesn't help. Our test batters have struggled on Lankan pitches summarily big timein the last decade, unlike the 90's. It shows in the fact that our test average has dropped by 6 points here between 90's and 2000's. - Agree ? Y/N ? It shows in the fact that - take out Sehwag double ton in the last series in lanka - an not a single batsman has scored a test ton there in a combined 21 tests, since 2000 - Agree ? Y/N ? You can eff off now, Sarchasm. kthxbye.
Poking your @$$ randomly, in between threads doesn't help. Our test batters have struggled on Lankan pitches summarily big timein the last decade, unlike the 90's. It shows in the fact that our test average has dropped by 6 points here between 90's and 2000's. - Agree ? Y/N ? It shows in the fact that - take out Sehwag double ton in the last series in lanka - an not a single batsman has scored a test ton there in a combined 21 tests, since 2000 - Agree ? Y/N ? You can eff off now, Sarchasm. kthxbye.
We haven't done too shabbily in Sri Lanka. Er.. my figures were incorrect for the previous stats show. For some reason, it showed Sri Lanka vs. the opposition rather than what I was trying to find. My mistake. Alright, here's the more correct version: In the 90s, the opposition scored at an average of 31.64 per batsman against Sri Lanka in Sri Lanka. http://stats.cricinfo.com/ci/engine/stats/index.html?class=1;filter=advanced;groupby=opposition;home_or_away=2;opposition=8;orderby=runs;spanmax1=1+Jan+2001;spanmin1=1+Jan+1991;spanval1=span;team=1;team=140;team=2;team=3;team=4;team=5;team=6;team=7;template=results;type=batting In the 00s,
v Sri Lanka  	147  	2001-2009  	36  	744  	87  	17243  	274*  	26.24  	39551  	43.59  	23  	84  	94  	1949  	97

http://stats.cricinfo.com/ci/engine/stats/index.html?class=1;filter=advanced;groupby=opposition;home_or_away=2;opposition=8;orderby=runs;spanmax2=21+Feb+2010;spanmin2=1+Jan+2001;spanval2=span;team=1;team=140;team=2;team=3;team=4;team=5;team=6;team=7;template=results;type=batting So yeah, patriot is right in that it has become harder to score in Sri Lanka this decade than it was last decade.

Just a single 300+ score in 6 tests. Flat , easy peasy tracks na ? Koi shak ? And in those 6 tests the scores in each innings by India have been.... 187 180 ----------------- 232 264/3 --------------------- 234 299 -------------------- 223 138 ------------------------ 329 269 ------------------------- 249 268