Why Test matches PWNS (DLF) Tontee-Tontee

Guest BossBhai

I like to play the longer format, but I find it difficult to watch one, unless it's entertaining like the recent Indo-SAF series or for that matter certain sessions in the Ashes. I was a State U-16 player :proud:
Which state? I played U-16 for Bihar around 13 years ago

Some of us are getting confused here. It doesn't matter if I am new to the game, or like Singh is King's sound track or if Margret Thatcher really could hatch eggs. Admittedly those are interesting topics, but we'd be digressing if we discussed those here. The important point here is: 1-> The OP has made a thread denouncing T20 in the IPL forum. There have been many who share his opinion. What does this indicate? To me, it looks as if Test Cricket followers have started feeling very insecure to even open threads of this type. Why don't we see a thread in the test cricket section ( if this forum even has one) by T20 fans claiming superiority of T20 cricket over test cricket? The premise of this thread reeks of a defensive mindset from people who have not been willing (or able to) to comprehend changing economic realities of the game. Maybe, just maybe, it is because test cricket fans know that their fav. type of cricket is no longer the real deal when it comes to making money and attracting fans. Even players these days are lured away by T20. I just read a thread on this very forum that said that Sehwag was risking an injury and playing T20 and may miss the Windies tour. 2-> MTC, your analogy with Bharatnatyam is not 100% correct. Bharatnatyam has more or less stayed the same over the years. Its a niche dance form and has a niche ( and regionally biased) following. To reach the Arangetram stage it took you nearly 9-10 years of dance in 100 AD, 1900 AD and even today it takes almost the same time. Item numbers are not a form of Bharatnatyam. However, there was a time when Test Cricket was the only cricket and was popular. Those days are history. T20 has been able to market cricket better. Rope in new fans etc. What percentage of total ICC revenues are from Test cricket? what are form ODIs and T20s? Cricket has evolved and is still evolving. 3-> I don't understand why test fans are being so condescending (on ICF). Some people like T20s, some people like Tests, some like ODIs. This entire my cricket is the true cricket, rest of you are not as smart/ not real fans et c is a pretty extreme ( for the want of a better word) line of thought. Misplaced sense of superiority there. :whack: 4-> I don't go to T20 games to see cheer leaders. @ Pravin and Cricketics, I've read your posts and agree with most of what you have to say. :two_thumbs_up: @ MTC: thanks for the kind words.

3-> I don't understand why test fans are being so condescending (on ICF). Some people like T20s, some people like Tests, some like ODIs. This entire my cricket is the true cricket, rest of you are not as smart/ not real fans et c is a pretty extreme ( for the want of a better word) line of thought. Misplaced sense of superiority there. :whack:
wrong. how will you know what are the gaps in your understanding that's preventing you from enjoying test cricket? you are talkin about taste.but understanding of the subject matters as well. who is goign to enjoy something he doesn't understand? test cricket requires understanding of the less obvious things... also there is the subject of instant gratification which is another deplorable quality of odi/t20 fans.. and it all boils down to a complete test of criketing skills(test cricket ) and an incomplete test of cricketing skills(odi\t20) if your taste indicates you enjoy the incomplete version,your taste is less than first rate. its well placed sense of superiority...now back to your fake mumbai indians team!

This thread when it was started was solely intended for the purpose of trolling/pisstake. Never in my wildest dreams did I imagine that I would see someone take it so seriously ... In other words YOU Haz been PWNED (again) :P
Huh? I take IPL, Bollywood, latest page 3 gossip, sudoku and other such topics of national importance very seriously. You hazz been warned. :bigboss: :P

Some of us are getting confused here. It doesn't matter if I am new to the game, or like Singh is King's sound track or if Margret Thatcher really could hatch eggs. Admittedly those are interesting topics, but we'd be digressing if we discussed those here. The important point here is: 1-> The OP has made a thread denouncing T20 in the IPL forum. There have been many who share his opinion. What does this indicate? To me, it looks as if Test Cricket followers have started feeling very insecure to even open threads of this type. Why don't we see a thread in the test cricket section ( if this forum even has one) by T20 fans claiming superiority of T20 cricket over test cricket?
Insecure of this Tamasha :hysterical::hysterical: thats like Hollywood being insecure because of the success of Bhojpuri films :hehe:
The premise of this thread reeks of a defensive mindset from people who have not been willing (or able to) to comprehend changing economic realities of the game. Maybe, just maybe, it is because test cricket fans know that their fav. type of cricket is no longer the real deal when it comes to making money and attracting fans. Even players these days are lured away by T20. I just read a thread on this very forum that said that Sehwag was risking an injury and playing T20 and may miss the Windies tour.
oh really!! is that why players like Goddy, Ponting, Vettori, Younis Khan etc have retired from T20s but continue to play ODIs/Ttests ??
3-> I don't understand why test fans are being so condescending (on ICF). Some people like T20s, some people like Tests, some like ODIs. This entire my cricket is the true cricket, rest of you are not as smart/ not real fans et c is a pretty extreme ( for the want of a better word) line of thought. Misplaced sense of superiority there. :whack:
Nobody is being condescending or anything like that. Its just that Tests are the real "test" of skills. If a player succeeds in T20 there is no guarantee that he will succeed in Tests (or for that matter even succeed in ODIs) but if someone is a good Test match player then he can play any form of the game with ease.
4-> I don't go to T20 games to see cheer leaders.
so, you go to watch Mallaya Jr :hmmm:

Some of us are getting confused here. It doesn't matter if I am new to the game' date=' or like Singh is King's sound track or if Margret Thatcher really could hatch eggs. Admittedly those are interesting topics, but we'd be digressing if we discussed those here. .[/quote'] Oh, but IMO it matters a lot. Its like someone coming new to music and getting caught up in the excitement of boy bands and announcing them to be better than Mozart. It takes years of following and understanding to be the true connoisseur of art in any form There are some threads on ICF, to understand the context of which, you need to be have been here for a while. And there is nothing wrong with true dilettantes cocking a sneer at those who get caught up in vulgar delights My analogy was more to do with the effort, skills and time required for BharatNatyam which is similar to test cricket. Wouldnt you say cabres and item songs are recent addition to dance forms too? How about we make another analogy, like music, or art, or movies. Its always the bottom tier which attracts the most fans and ametures, but does that make it superior to the top, talented tier? the same reason a wine-taster would sneer at a drunkard or an art critic might look down upon someone who yawns at an opera because he doesnt understand it but dances to the tune of a street band. Popularity is not equal to class. You can be entertained by a classical singer and you can be entertained by a mujra. But there is a difference between the both

Oh' date= but IMO it matters a lot. Its like someone coming new to music and getting caught up in the excitement of boy bands and announcing them to be better than Mozart. It takes years of following and understanding to be the true connoisseur of art in any form There are some threads on ICF, to understand the context of which, you need to be have been here for a while. And there is nothing wrong with true dilettantes cocking a sneer at those who get caught up delight in vulgar delights My analogy was more to do with the effort, skills and time required for BharatNatyam which is similar to test cricket. Wouldnt you say cabres and item songs are recent addition to dance forms too? How about we make another analogy, like music, or art, or movies. Its always the bottom tier which attracts the most fans and ametures, but does that make it superior to the top, talented tier? the same reason a wine-taster would sneer at a drunkard or an art critic might look down upon someone who yawns at an opera because he doesnt understand it but dances to the tune of a street band. Popularity is not equal to class. You can be entertained by a classical singer and you can be entertained by a mujra. But there is a difference between the both
:hatsoff::hatsoff: