What will you do?

kabira

Re: What will you do?

or if a mallu is a sensitive southie ?
Come across tons and tons of Mallus in middle east. Hell, Indian in middle east is almost synonymous with Mallus and they are quite image concious. I don't see a Gujju get mad at being asked if he/she is marathi because to non-gujju/non-marathis, it can sound similar. But say the same thing about Malayalam and Tamil and both the Tamil and Mallu freaks out more often than not. No, i am not being a hypocrite because i am not against the idea of cultural patterns and steriotypes that are more or less true largely. I just happen to disagree with their version of the steriotype,thats all. You can disagree with mine too. Its all cool.

U could not be more uninformed.. for instance close to 70 percent of ias/ips are from bihar/up... go to any iit close to 25 percetn u will find are from bihar...... go to delhi university and lok for topper in any faculty 9 out of ten chances are u wlil bump into a bihari..........
All well and good, but you get far more riskhaw-waale and paan-walle sadak ke kinare who claim to be Bihari. The stereotype isn't far off - even Biharis themselves happily acknowledge this as fact. Don't take it as a slur, it's just an observation. The hard-working ones who earn a reasonably good living know who they are.

Anyways' date=' another thing about moving back to India : i wonder how many of us today who are saying we won't return to India will return to India for retirement.[/quote'] I sure as hell wouldn't.
Don't be so hasty bro. India is improving..if you are another 25-30 years from retirement,who knows. 25-30 years from now,India could probably be in the position of a Taiwan or Spain today- ie, middle tier amongst rich per capita. And its doubtful that the 40:1 rupee-dollar value will go down to less than 15-20:1 at best in that period. So all of a sudden, retirement 25-30 years from now in India starts looking like living like a semi-millionaire in a near-first world economy (2nd world?) It might look very alluring to those who've kept ties with the motherland and are looking to retire in luxury. For one thing's sure : if you retire in India after working in the west, you can live 10x better than you could on retired life in the west.

Guest dada_rocks

Re: What will you do? KR image consciousnees is godo trait to have, I wonder why u got offended.. BTW other than tamil guys rest of the lot I have gotten along pretty well..They come of as language fanatics.. ab aao sare tamilnadu wale meri dhulai karo :lmao:

Don't be so hasty bro. India is improving..if you are another 25-30 years from retirement,who knows. 25-30 years from now,India could probably be in the position of a Taiwan or Spain today- ie, middle tier amongst rich per capita. And its doubtful that the 40:1 rupee-dollar value will go down to less than 15-20:1 at best in that period. So all of a sudden, retirement 25-30 years from now in India starts looking like living like a semi-millionaire in a near-first world economy (2nd world?) It might look very alluring to those who've kept ties with the motherland and are looking to retire in luxury. For one thing's sure : if you retire in India after working in the west, you can live 10x better than you could on retired life in the west.
Sure, it's improving rapidly but the situation on the ground is still the same. India's infrastructure is probably on par with that of an African sh*thole, ie; Uganda. Having visited India on and off for the last couple of years, i haven't seen anything change. Just take a ride on the Delhi Metro and stare out the window - the city is a SHAMBLES, to put it lightly. So damn congested and dense. Although the state have begun to demolish illegal property, it's likely to remain this way for the next 25-30 years. No matter how much disposable income you have to splurge; you will still be driving your $100 k Merc on sh*tty roads, you will still be buying crappy food from the same market everyone else shops at (albeit, in greater quantity) and the conditions outside your home won't change. Hence it's all quite pointless.

KR ... do you understand Kannada ?
Yes sir, I am a Kannadiga and I am sensitive to the fact that we Kannadigas are losing our identity and are clubbed as south indians as if south indian is one culture , one identity etc.
Ahaha ... Namaskaara saar ... avano haage tale tintane ... bere kelasa illa avanige ... neevu summane tale kedisko bedee ... sakashtu sala sikhakoltane illi ... ad heltara alla ... mese mannadru jamba hoglila ... aatara avanu ... :hmph:
Nimghe nu Namaskaara , Aaithu saar. Naanu Tale kediskolelaa. :hic: :hic:

you will still be buying crappy food from the same market everyone else shops at (albeit, in greater quantity)
I for one, totally disagree with the above. If anything, food in India is way lot better. There arn't no hormonal overdose in your milk and meat, the veggies are all natural and fresh and not chemically ripened, etc etc. And infrastructure - well i've noticed a LOT of changes in Delhi ( i was there just a month and half ago) and its a lot better roads from 11 years ago when i last visited Delhi. I think in 25-30 years, India will be more than habitable in terms of infrastructure and lets face it, infrastructure does come secondary to disposable income to most. So what i'd be driving my Sumo on broken roads at 40kph- atleast, if i retired in India on a western pension, i could go on 2-3 month vacation trips inside India and all over/most of South/Southeast/East Asia. On retirement fund in the west, you can barely make two ends meet unless you've saved up fat load on your own. There are benifits to retiring in India which is why a lot of people are doing it- 25-30 years from now, i can only see it getting a lot better.

KR ... do you understand Kannada ?
Yes sir, I am a Kannadiga and I am sensitive to the fact that we Kannadigas are losing our identity and are clubbed as south indians as if south indian is one culture , one identity etc.
Don't worry- its just a term. I know you guys are all independent different cultures. But your similarities within the 'southie group' is more than within the northie groups and the Kannada-Tamil difference is same as Bihar-Bengal difference. I didn't mean to demean your kannadiga sensibilities. Just drew a larger cultural parallel. Just notice some traits that are unique to northies/westerners/easterners/southies etc etc.

KR image consciousnees is godo trait to have' date=' I wonder why u got offended.. BTW other than tamil guys rest of the lot I have gotten along pretty well..They come of as language fanatics.. ab aao sare tamilnadu wale meri dhulai karo :lmao:[/quote'] DR, I am cool man ! To answer your question about Tamilians , they tend to be more proud of their langauge a. Because it is one oldest langauge in the world ( 5000 years old) if not the oldest. b. Also , it's the purest dravidian langauge with no sanskrit influence. If take kannada or Telugu , they have 50 % sanskrit influence. They want to preserve their language at any costs and I partly sympathize with them . But , I feel that younger generation Tamilians should pick up Hindi for their own good. I for one, hate these groupism based on language. I have friends from all over India and some of my best buddies are all North Indians. In fact , I speak fluent Hindi. Also, If you go to bangalore now, you will be surprised to see that it has become very cosmopolitan with people from all over India and you can get by with just knowing Hindi.

I think many South Indians, Bengalees or Punjabis will have a problem with the idea of two of the most lawless provinces being described as quintessential India.
Really? Help me understand why Biharis have been slaughtered by hundreds outside their own states and in some of the erstwhile law-abiding states. If I had to make a guess I will say more Biharis have been killed in Kashmir than Kashmiri Pundits. When Punjab extremism was at its worst it was always the Biharis who got killed first. Same continues in Assam today. I have witnessed Biharis being harassed in West Bengal, Maharastra, Andhra Pradesh etc simply because they chose to enter state examinations in supposedly their "own" country!! I can also distinctly remember how in a National Survey by a leading magazine a lot of "Indians" were of the opinions that Bihar should not be a part of India!! For all the lawlessness that Bihar gets the stick for when was the last time an Assamiya, a Punjabi, a Telugu was killed in Bihar? I do not want to sound like a jingoist politician cos I am certainly not one but rest assured that if Bihar really went lawless that would be trouble with a capital T for India.
Step into neighbouring Bengal, and you immediately notice the difference...the orderly queues, respect for women, loudmouths being challenged by the general public, yobism in public places frowned upon...
Wouldnt want to throw mud at West Bengal so let me just say that I have strong reasons to beleive you have not visited West Bengal. For the same reason I will let slide examples of Maharastra and Punjab even though I have personal experience where I have walked with girls(in Bombay and Patiala) and they have later on complained of gropings. Trust me I am yet to hear that in Bihar.
The failure of Bihar or UP is the failure of public consciousness...I'd go as far as calling it a failure of public courage in those states. There's simply a lack of collective will to speak out against perpetrators, a sort of nudge-nudge, wink-wink ethos, where the common man thinks that everything goes.
Now this is where your knowledge of Bihar falls short, sorry to say. For that matter this is where knowledge of most Indians fall short. You see Dhondy, ask yourself this simple question - what is the single biggest achievement of India post Independence? Is it Indian IT boom or self sufficiency in Agriculture? Is it Nuclear Weapon explosion or Amitabh in KBC? I personally beleive it is India's achievemnt in Democracy. That even though we are in the part of the world where democracy gets a hit everyday we thrive. And thrive gloriously. Indeed India is often the example given to most countries about how a billion populace works together. With that said what is the only blot in Indian Democratic History? Well the Emergency of Indira Gadhi for sure. And when and where was it broken? By the very same Bihari students in Patna. Go on read about how a state(with failed courage - your words) provided kids who were shot, killed and body thrown in Ganges. Read on about how a Dialytic patient(Jayaprakash Narayan) rocked Indira and saved India. Call me cynical but while you are at it do show me how the "prosperous" and "peaceful" state contributed to India's cause at the time. Seriously do show me. Or else should I use that as an argument and colour other states coward? Fair?
No wonder that these two states also have denizens of the most vociferous dowry-seekers.
Now this is crap with a capital C. I am really surprised as to how educated Indians fall for this line. The biggest dowry seekers are never Biharis. When was the last time you heard a highly educated IAS Bihari Pundit(the highest of highs) getting even a quarter of dowry as that dished out by the Reddys(for half the qualification) in Andhra? I take it there are a lot of people here from South India. I would like them to chim in on the dowry situation here. From what I have seen from personal experience it is so much worse in Southern states. Parents start saving for daughters marriage ever since she is born. Forget South India, I know a Telugu girl who was born in Houston and her parents saved every dime for a lumpsum dowry. This isnt mean to offend anyone but yeah any Andhrite should be able to clarify this dowry quest. xxx

Re: What will you do? Bheem, seriously, you should've been born a Mongol or a Roman. Our culture really is too soft for you - the sort that burns people in cages or throws them to the lions in the arenas seem to suit you better. Yes,India is thriving and i am damn faking proud to have indian root - we are the ONLY country in the world where a thousand different ethnicities, cultures and ways of life can coexist in largely peaceful democracy. Not even your maalik the states has that kind of diversity without adherence to the mainstream.

I can also distinctly remember how in a National Survey by a leading magazine a lot of "Indians" were of the opinions that Bihar should not be a part of India!!
As far as i am concerned, whoever thinks that isn't an Indian. Bihar, as far as i can tell, is *THE* cultural epicenter of India. More than anything, it is the magadha dynasties ( from Nandas to the Guptas) who defined India-both north and south- culturally and artistically. Its sad that Bihar has crumbled today but in my eyes, Bihar is the 'Rome' or 'Athens' or 'Babylon' of India. Ie, it is *the* ground zero for Indian culture. India without Bihar would be like UK without London or France without Paris. PS: On the dowry angle, from my experience, its the marwari community(atleast, in Kolkata) that are extremely dowry-oriented. Doesnt matter if you are rich or poor, if you give saree and kangan or a maruti as dowry- they must have dowry. Not too sure just which part exactly is 'marwar' but thats just my personal observation.

Bheem, seriously, you should've been born a Mongol or a Roman. Our culture really is too soft for you - the sort that burns people in cages or throws them to the lions in the arenas seem to suit you better.
i dont know abt our culture... but u sure do sound like a soft bengali girl...