Would you like to be here?

Lurker

Re: Would you like to be here? shwetabh, yes, it sticks out. but given that the canyon is so big, you can easily avoid it and still enjoy all the natural beauty of it. btw the indians would rather not have any of us coming anywhere close to that place. the fact that you can drive anywhere close to there itself means it has been spoilt.

Re: Would you like to be here? Yeah but gator, the pollution farted out by planes are not going to go away- we dont have to mould nature now, do we ? Trust me, it doesnt look that great anyways and what is happening in the west pisses off a lot of nature lovers here. Basically, nature is being dumbed down to McDonalds level. Everything's gotto cater to the fat guy with the fat wife and four kids in an SUV so if it isnt convinient for them, its not worth it. Several naturally beautiful sites in North America has been 'dumbed down' in beauty by plopping a chairlift and huge hotel-mall-motel complex in the middle of a nice pristine valley...so that people can go see a waterfall at the mouth of the valley. There are also places in Switzerland that has been messed with to look pretty but trust me, the artificial look to it is really ugly to people who've seen and enjoy nature's pristine beauty. And yes, i do think its you who has to go nature, nature must not be brought to you. Ie, you gotto be worthy enough to go see it. As in, if you want to be on the peak of Everest, well good on ya, go become a rock climber and climb it to the top. But dont expect someone to come along and put a huge chairlift elevator or something to zip you up to the top of everest for a cup of coffee. Thats just bollocks. Anyways, i do not think this particular one is that much more intrusive on nature. Its just a platform built and anchored to the naked rock strata. And its only at one tiny spot of the grand canyon, not exactly hogging the whole canyon. So i think this one is cool. Though it'd make me nervous to be on that thing. Not scared of heights per se but i'd be concerned if that thing is built well or maintained well or whatever if i just randomly walked out on it.

Re: Would you like to be here? CC, don't talk non-sense. The extent to which the US goes to take care of these parks and historical sites is commendable. In most places, you can't drive beyond a certain point. They encourage and in some cases limit you to use common transportation to reduce pollution. Yes, they also make it easily accessible so that families with children have access to them and can enjoy them. It is the best of all worlds.

Re: Would you like to be here?

The extent to which the US goes to take care of these parks and historical sites is commendable.
pffffft. It might seem that way to you when you compare it to India but the fact is, in the recent times, US government ( sometimes at state level, sometimes at national level) has 'zoned out' a lot of free nature land to support resort-style nonsense.
Yes, they also make it easily accessible so that families with children have access to them and can enjoy them. It is the best of all worlds.
Your/my children experiencing a safari park style resort and swimming pools with merry-go-rounds in the middle of Yosemite is not worth it in my opinion since it destroys Yosemite. Its the direction we are heading because we try to make nature more accessible to the masses while destroying nature in the process.