Whats all this fuss with the H1B ??

Ram

People.. Been in the US for like a year... Student Visa.. There were these guys who graduated this spring who were absolutely freaked out, coz of this new lottery system in awarding H1B visas.. As much as i hear more about it , i am still confused. There have been 200,000 applicants for 65,000 positions. and the visas will be awarded on the basis of a lottery ?? I dont think it makes sense. I thought it should be on merit. And , What if some company planned to bring in 40 indians for their branch here and all their visas get rejected coz of this lottery method ?? Wont that spell disaster to their business plans ? Correct me if i am totally wrong with my assesments..

Re: Whats all this fuss with the H1B ??

This will only affect people who fall in general quota there are 20k visas for MS/PhD graduates
Oh.. okie.. But i am sure there are more than 20,000 students who apply for H1B every year. Do they also get visas based on lottery ? And lottery system !! That sounds ridiculous to me..

Re: Whats all this fuss with the H1B ?? Last year it went till July end till those 20k special visas were filled Those are not selected by lottery. They are first come first served basis. How can you rate the jobs if everyone is say employed as a entry level

Last year it went till July end till those 20k special visas were filled Those are not selected by lottery. They are first come first served basis. How can you rate the jobs if everyone is say employed as a entry level
I assume there are certain ways to determine to which jobs are "better" than others.. like the number of people who applied. the number who were called for interview for selecting the candidate etc...

Re: Whats all this fuss with the H1B ?? okay lets take an example it should not depend on the company (indirectly it means the number of people applied there) Suppose a big shot company does not come to your campus and you join a small company which agrees to sponsor you H1 Why should the big company get a preference?

Re: Whats all this fuss with the H1B ?? At the company level , your argument makes perfect sense. Every company has the right to fulfill its requirements as much as any other big company. but an induvidual level, dont you think its unfair to decide on the basis of a lottery system. Surely , there would be candidates who might be "better" than others. and i know the term better is very contextual. :hic:

I can get you a job at my dairy---> milking cows :lmao:
Really.. i would love it... i can contribute to this forum all day then... :hic:
The only thing you will be looking at all day is the back end of a real cow :lmao: Sala e-comfort chahiye to work for someone else. At my dairy only I am allowed to slack :hic:

I can get you a job at my dairy---> milking cows :lmao:
Really.. i would love it... i can contribute to this forum all day then... :hic:
The only thing you will be looking at all day is the back end of a real cow :lmao: Sala e-comfort chahiye to work for someone else. At my dairy only I am allowed to slack :hic:
Ok ok... i will do any job well.. as long as i have my laptop with me and some wireless internet connection around... and no rishwat and all.. unfortunately i happend to b a decent student in my undergrad, which made me believe that i can do a good job at masters. :wall:

abe tu masters kar raha hai to kyu chinta kar raha hai
mein chinta nahin kar raha hoon.. I saw some Indian students who were graduating this semester. And they had a real worried look on their faces...