WTF just happened ?

CC1981

Re: WTF just happened ?

But I agree with ya, after moving to the west coast of Canada, I am way more relaxed and less frustrated when I was in a s*hit hole like toronto
Oh cool so maybe there is a point afterall in people getting depressed due to weather and climate. Atleast people like me and you. :wtg: By the by I am not sold on this argument that guns dont kill people, people kill people. That should then encompass everything in this world then - explosives, AIDS virus, Nuclear Bomb, chemical weapons etc etc - none of these kill people unless they get in the hands of a select few. Does that mean Chemical weapons should be available to all and sundry? Heck even rat poison is not available on its own. A rather funny(and startling) thing is only recently I had heartburn but I couldnt walk in the local pharmacy and buy it on my own. My Doctor had to call and tell pharmacist that a patient of his shall come and collect. A simple medicine for heartburn!! But as it turns out I can walk into the neighbourhood gun store and buy a gun right off the shelf! Go figure. xxxx

any indians hit
Yea actually I was reading the updated article and apparently an India Professor died. He was US Citizen. This is Sad! :eew: Here is a quote from the article:
Some of the professors who were killed were named. Among them were Prof. Liviu Librescu, a Romanian Israeli who has lived in the United States for several years, and Dr. G.V. Loknathan, who was originally from India and became an American citizen after arriving in the United States in 1977.
The most terrible part of this event is that the authorities on the campus did not even thought it was important to cancel the classes and warn everyone! After the second shooting, then they realized that this was serious. This is ridiculous because if they had been cautious than maybe lives would have been saved. Its a good thing that on our campus, cops are frequently monitoring the area.

Re: WTF just happened ? I'm still in utter disbelief that something of this magnitude can happen in a campus. A guy who is just 23 years old can create such a mess , it scares me when I think how many of the same kind would be out there. Dont you think violent movies and violent video games affect kids personality while they grow up? Whats your experience seeing these stuffs?

I'm still in utter disbelief that something of this magnitude can happen in a campus. A guy who is just 23 years old can create such a mess , it scares me when I think how many of the same kind would be out there. Dont you think violent movies and violent video games affect kids personality while they grow up? Whats your experience seeing these stuffs?
well lot of the students said that he was a loner and didnt really talk to anyone. So that tells you that this person had some kind of Mental problems but what I am wondering is why did he do this now? The 2 killers in Columbine High actually had reason because they were bullied and so they got pissed. But actually I heard from my Prof that Columbine High incident would have been worse because the two killers had a propane tank set up to blow in the Cafe but it never did. Anyways going back to your point, he probably was under pressure, stressed out, lonely so thats why he did this... Still so harsh.. Apparently he was shot in the face so bad that the cops couldnt recognize him immediately.

Re: WTF just happened ? Here you go from washingtonpost:

Posted at 04:36 PM ET, 04/17/2007 Web Site Posts Play Purportedly Written by Gunman The Smoking Gun website posted a one-act play reportedly written by Va. Tech gunman Cho Seung Hui, who was majoring in English at the university. The Post is working to confirm the play's authenticity. From the latest Washington Post story: Several Korean youths who knew Cho Seung Hui from his high school days who said he was a fan of violent video games, particularly Counterstrike, a hugely popular online game published by Microsoft, in which players join terrorism or counterterrorism groups and try to shoot each other using all types of guns. Marshall Main, a neighbor who lived across from the Chos in the quiet community of townhomes in Centreville, said the Chos were hardly ever home, but always waved and smiled when greeted. The couple worked long hours at a dry cleaner, neighbors said. Neighbors said local and federal authorities were seen taking pictures and searching the house Monday night.
Time to ban all these violent video games that ruin lives.

Time to ban all these violent video games that ruin lives.
No :wall: :wall: :wall: That does not prove anything. If what you are saying was true then LOT of these cases would be happening.
a hugely popular online game

No :wall: :wall: :wall: That does not prove anything. If what you are saying was true then LOT of these cases would be happening.
Whether violent video games screw up today's kids or teens is for the sociologist and pshyiatrist to decide. I for one can not for the love of God understand why people would spend hours playing online games killing people? What good can come out of sitting on the computer, playing non-stop mafia game or grand theft auto?? Frankly I can not see one good positive coming out of video games, specially the violent video games. xxx

One Indian girl is missing .
if you are talking about her, then her name was mentioned in the casualty :(
Reema Samaha was a first-year student at Virginia tech and went to the same high school in Centersville, Virginia, as the shooter, Cho Seung-Hui. Her father, Joseph, described her as a "shy girl till you got to know her." She was looking forward to majoring in urban planning with a minor in international relations because "she thought she could solve the problems of the world," her father said. Samaha, remembered as a beautiful and creative dancer, performed the weekend before the shootings, which marked the last time her parents saw her alive. "I keep her in my mind," her father said. "Her face is in my mental vision. It keeps me going."

Re: WTF just happened ? What next , ban all violent movies. Where will it all end ? In my opinion , Bad parenting or parents spending less time with their kids, social fabric of marriage being destroyed wherein single moms have to raise adolescent male with no male supervision because the poor mom has to work two shifts , peer pressure in this highly competitive society ,gangsta rap , etc a number of these factors also play a role in some of these youngsters becoming fruitcakes . Is also too much freedom to blame for this ?. I don't hear this kind of sh.it happening in China.

What next ' date=' ban all violent movies. Where will it all end ? In my opinion , Bad parenting or parents spending less time with their kids, social fabric of marriage being destroyed wherein single moms have to raise adolescent male with no male supervision because the poor mom has to work two shifts , peer pressure in this highly competitive society ,gangsta rap , etc a number of these factors also play a role in some of these youngsters becoming fruitcakes . Is also too much freedom to blame for this ?. I don't hear this kind of sh.it happening in China.[/quote'] How is any of your argument valid in this case? The murderer was a Korean student who most likely would have received all the best of "Eastern" values as you are suggesting. Neither was he born of single Mom neither was there any lack of male supervision. xxx

What next ' date=' ban all violent movies. Where will it all end ? In my opinion , Bad parenting or parents spending less time with their kids, social fabric of marriage being destroyed wherein single moms have to raise adolescent male with no male supervision because the poor mom has to work two shifts , peer pressure in this highly competitive society ,gangsta rap , etc a number of these factors also play a role in some of these youngsters becoming fruitcakes . Is also too much freedom to blame for this ?. I don't hear this kind of sh.it happening in China.[/quote'] How is any of your argument valid in this case? The murderer was a Korean student who most likely would have received all the best of "Eastern" values as you are suggesting. Neither was he born of single Mom neither was there any lack of male supervision. *****
He was a Korean student but was a 'Green card holder ' who spent many years in US. So , I don't know about the Eastern values. We don't much about the assassin , but my statements are more pertaining to the factors that leads to this kind of behavior.

Re: WTF just happened ? KR you have some good points, and surely they have some effects on kids, but spending countless hours playing games like gta can easily make young kids insensitive to others. I have no doubt that they have some effects which I'm sure is not the same on every kid and not every kid can control himself/herself in the same way.

Re: WTF just happened ? Playing video games or watching violent movies does not turn you into a nutcase PERIOD! Some psychologist and politicians will spin it however the f@k they want but I stand by my argument. Just look at the number of kids playing such games (huge) and the numbers that actually go out and commit such crimes...STATISTICALLY NEGLIGIBLE! The problem is with the person and not the games. Let's say you ban all video games and movies. You think a psycho won't have enough material? How about NEWS? Ever watch real world news? Humans seem to want some kind of peaceful utopia. Sad reality is humans have always killed and always will. Look at present and past human history. Future ain't gonna be any different....if anything it will be worse :shrug:

Re: WTF just happened ? Just wondering, you don't think abundance of guns or violent video games don't have any effect, so what's the root of this huge difference in crimes in USA and Canada (yes the ratio, not the sheer #), or USA and developed Europe. They should all be humans and not much genetically different either.