WTF just happened ?

CC1981

Re: WTF just happened ?

BTW' date=' nobody's saying video games are the reasons, I stand by what I said before, they are factors.[/quote'] I see your point. Didn't the columbine killers wrote somewhere that they were influenced by the violent video game "Dhoom". Also , just read on the news that background check was done on this korean when he bought the gun and he got a clean chit. Goes to show that even proper checks before issuing license would have been useless in this particular case. I think gun control lobby may have a point. I would like to know if their is any stats to compare USA with Europeans countries UK , France , Germany etc which have sizable population and judge if strict gun control laws make any difference to crime.

Just wondering' date=' you don't think abundance of guns or violent video games don't have any effect, so what's the root of this huge difference in crimes in USA and Canada (yes the ratio, not the sheer #), or USA and developed Europe. They should all be humans and not much genetically different either.[/quote'] If a kid does not know the difference between real world and video world then the problem is much deeper than some video game. Parenting maybe? Europe has it's set of problems. Ever hear about 18 kids being shot at a German school? http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/1952869.stm

Just wondering' date=' you don't think abundance of guns or violent video games don't have any effect, so what's the root of this huge difference in crimes in USA and Canada (yes the ratio, not the sheer #), or USA and developed Europe. They should all be humans and not much genetically different either.[/quote'] If a kid does not know the difference between real world and video world then the problem is much deeper than some video game. Parenting maybe? Europe has it's set of problems. Ever hear about 18 kids being shot at a German school? http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/1952869.stm
Why doesn't this kind of shooting happen in Indian schools ? Could be because of lack of accessibility of guns by high school students . Gun control legislation may help after all.

Re: WTF just happened ? * In Switzerland almost all male adults have guns. * Japan and Great Britain have very strict gun ownerships laws. -------------------------------------------------- - Switzerland has similar crime rates to Japan and Great Britain. In Switzerland, the purchase of semi automatic rifles and shotguns requires no permit, and adults are free to carry them. Handguns can be bought with firearm purchase permits, which are issued to all adults without a criminal record or a history of mental illness. About 40% of Switzerland's cantons (states) do not require a permit to carry a handgun. Switzerland has a citizen militia where most all men between the ages of 21 and 32 are required to keep fully automatic machine guns in their home. - Italy has the most restrictive gun laws in Europe and the firearm homicide rate is twice that of Switzerland's. - The homicide rate in Japan is similar to the homicide rate for Japanese-Americans, which implies it is the Japanese culture, and not the absence of guns that is responsible for Japan's low homicide rate. - The number of firearm homicides in Great Britain has doubled since they imposed their current restrictive gun laws.

Re: WTF just happened ? Personally, i am not into shooty-shooty type games, i think they are lame. Plus when people are way too good at it and head-shot you within 0.0001 second of spotting you, you are just a walking turkey waiting to be carved up for thanksgiving. However, strategy games are super and can be quite educational. My child is gonna play CIV4 for sure- that game explains more about life and human interactions than i could in a year's time. Plus i am a huge fan of Wii sports or games like Super Mario Bros, Contra, MarioKart, Donkey Kong etc - they are *the* party games and personally, its hella fun to play 4 people hotseat donkey kong or wii golf.

I really hope this mofo assassin rots in hell . I think his good for nothing sh.it parents should be jailed for breeding this crazy pos :mad: :mad:
KK there is no easy fixes. Parents could be perfect and the kid could still turn out like a prick. I personally don't have any answers/solutions but I know that the answers that are given my PC politicians are not going to work either :shrug: Looks like this kid was a walking dynamite- BLACKSBURG, Virginia (CNN) -- Long before before Cho Seung-Hui's deadly shooting spree on the Virginia Tech campus, a professor was so concerned about his anger that she took him out of another instructor's class and taught him one-on-one. The former chairwoman of Virginia Tech's English department, Lucinda Roy, said the anger Cho expressed in the fall 2005 creative writing course was palpable if not explicit. The writings by Cho, an English major, were disturbing enough that she went to police and other university officials to seek help. (Watch the professor tell how her student frightened her Video) http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/04/18/vtech.shooting/index.html

Re: WTF just happened ? How many school shooting happened in germany or europe against USA, should get the answer. You're saying even if parents are fine kids might grow up to be pricks, so we can rule that out as well. Look, every person reacts to the same event in a different way. Most kids probably won't be delusional, but some get affected by video games, even the indian young man who did shooting in Montreal was a hardcore violent game player and even wrote he imagined he'd go away in a blaze of gunfire and whatnot :lol: These days parents can hardly force the kids not to play a video game, because they'll do it anyways and probably more. So the only practical way is to reduce some violence in these games.

I think his good for nothing sh.it parents should be jailed for breeding this crazy pos
....... That is a very retarded comment.
Not as retarded as "I own guns, take it from me they are not the problem".

Guy was screwed up :help: Kind of feel sad that his mind was so badly screwed up :shrug: Per capita homicide statistics (fom 2000 but you get the general idea): http://www.nationmaster.com/graph/cri_mur_percap-crime-murders-per-capita Like I was saying countries like Switzerland in Europe have high gun ownership but the per capita homicide is reasonably low compared to US. European kids play violent video games just like US kids. Don't forget to check out India's position :wall:

I think his good for nothing sh.it parents should be jailed for breeding this crazy pos
....... That is a very retarded comment.
May be retarded comment done in anger, but what I meant is, parents should take more accountability for raising their children. Can't bring them into world and not provide any sensible guidance.

Re: WTF just happened ? CNN just showed the video and pictures he sent to NBC news before the shooting...absolutely chilling and grossly disturbing.This guy was a violent mental case.....these kind of ppl are like ticking bomb,who knows what snaps in them which drives them to such levels of insanity.

CNN just showed the video and pictures he sent to NBC news before the shooting...absolutely chilling and grossly disturbing.This guy was a violent mental case.....these kind of ppl are like ticking bomb' date='who knows what snaps in them which drives them to such levels of insanity.[/quote'] Sounds a terrible security lapse here. This chap kills 2 people, then silently walks to the neighbourhood Post Office, drop a package then comes back. All this - walking away after first shooting and then start of second shooting- takes about 2 hours. You would expect the Security people to barricade the college. How the hell does a criminal manage to come at the scene of the crime and do the exact same crime? Shameful for VA Security. xxx

Re: WTF just happened ? read this.. among the things that NBC office got..

Among the materials was a DVD with 27 QuickTime video files, totaling about 10 minutes, showing Cho talking directly to the camera. He does not name anyone specifically, but he mentions ?hedonism? and Christianity, and he talks at length about his hatred of the wealthy.
:mad: :mad: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/18169776/?GT1=9246

Re: WTF just happened ? See video games had nothing to do with it. A nutcase can get influenced by anything. I get the impression he was bullied in his life or something. Ismael Ax? What is the rant about Jesus? Criminal psychologist would love all the material. One thing I think is that the line between sane <-->insane is VERY NARROW! :shrug: