Want to get in shape for summer? Join in...

Lurker

There are too many things wrong with this unless you are an elite athlete. Any strenth gains without eating to gain weight are neurological adaptations within first few months. You will not grow futher or gain strength without rest + eating.This is overtraining and does not improve your strength You need rest days, please visit bodybuilding.com. Read sticky's about diet and excercise. Workout your maintainence calories and eat 500 above or below to gain weight/lose weight. You grow when resting, take a day off after a day on. Im no expert but there were too many things wrong with that so I thought I would throw in my 2 cents here are links http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=121703981 http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=140702831 (if anyone interested in powerlifting the world bench press record holder posts in this thread to answer questions!) http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=118885421 http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=118920551 http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=131379243 (teen section but helpful) http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=139968253
Don't think u know me well.. with a full time job, my love, guitar, and cricket, I don't get time to go spend more than 1 hour in gym ..but christmas break is the only time of the year I have all the time and can devotte my time to gym... so dont worry too much about me

Don't think u know me well.. with a full time job' date=' my love, guitar, and cricket, I don't get time to go spend more than 1 hour in gym ..but christmas break is the only time of the year I have all the time and can devotte my time to gym... so dont worry too much about me[/quote'] Sounds interesting. But if you can try find 45mins to 1 hour 3-4 days a week. There must surely be some time right? If not a barbell,dumbbell, cheap squat rack and bench should be enough for the basics which you could then do at home. Not attacking you or anything but the most common reason for not lifting/excercising is "I don't have time" but Im sure you can find 45 mins in a day. Good luck, but remember to take at least 1 day off after a day of working out to allow for growth. Check with lurker or an other expert but I think this should be fine.

Sounds interesting. But if you can try find 45mins to 1 hour 3-4 days a week. There must surely be some time right? If not a barbell' date='dumbbell, cheap squat rack and bench should be enough for the basics which you could then do at home. Not attacking you or anything but the most common reason for not lifting/excercising is "I don't have time" but Im sure you can find 45 mins in a day. Good luck, but remember to take at least 1 day off after a day of working out to allow for growth. Check with lurker or an other expert but I think this should be fine.[/quote'] You haven't seen his pic which is why you are posting this:giggle:

Links? Im new here and have alot to learn (age 17) but I thought I'd throw in my 2 cents. I respect anyone who is not a chest/bicep warrior and has big legs to go with it. But hes probably much stronger than me' date=' im only 5'11 75kg. But by the time Im 21 I hope to be much stronger than I am now. I've been focusing on strength (4-5 reps) for the last 14 months and will focus more on size after about 6 more months (8-12 reps) But it should still not be a reason to not offer advice. What do you make of my diet? I was hoping lurker would correct it but hes been offline...[/quote'] http://www.indiancricketfans.com/showthread.php?t=17964 About your diet, reduce milk intake and add Nuts (Almonds , Wwalnuts) ,legumes (Kidney Beans and sprouts) ,Tofu and Dal to your diet.Shoot for approx. 2800 cals a day if you are looking to bulk up.

http://www.indiancricketfans.com/showthread.php?t=17964 About your diet, reduce milk intake and add Nuts (Almonds , Wwalnuts) ,legumes (Kidney Beans and sprouts) ,Tofu and Dal to your diet.Shoot for approx. 2800 cals a day if you are looking to bulk up.
But I think its more than 2800 i posted it in last page. I will look to replace a few glasses of milk starting in a few days with what you suggested, thanks for that. O and I quickly (very quickly) skimmed through first 6 pages but I don't think I saw Rahul. He probably posted it later but thread is 90 pages... Lurker is fairly swole though even though it is only a upper body shot.

But I think its more than 2800 i posted it in last page. I will look to replace a few glasses of milk starting in a few days with what you suggested, thanks for that. O and I quickly (very quickly) skimmed through first 6 pages but I don't think I saw Rahul. He probably posted it later but thread is 90 pages... Lurker is fairly swole though even though it is only a upper body shot.
2800-3000 is good enough for a healthy weight gain while maintaining a body fat of 12-14%,otherwise you will almost exclusively have to have protein and lots of it. I am around the same height and weigh around 70-72 kgs and I take around 2400 cals.

^^ Anmol, when you say veg do you mean only milk and plants based (soy and legumes) are your option? Or can you atleast have eggs, if not meat? From the looks of it, it seems you have maxed out on milk and milk based proteins. It is good in some ways (specially when you have milk with whey) but otherwise you are probably eating the same nutrient profile over and again. There is few difference between milk and say cheese in terms of amino acide profiles, the basic building blocks, so you have yourself in a corner there. You can of course add more soy based and legumes but it also depends on how much your body absorbs it. Personally I find meat and eggs lot easily absorbed by the body than legumes, you may be different. If eggs are an option go heavy on them. Back to your program. You are starting out early thats great. Your body will respond fantastically. Only thing I would add is why go for low reps? Unless you are going for powerlifting low reps wont do much. Specially since you are starting early. People who go for low reps typically compromise form. I am not saying you do, but thats generally the case. For an early starter this is more of a problem since they are unable to figure out what is the best form anyway. I suggest never go lower than 6 and generally keep around 8-10. Let your muscles grow naturally and your body get a hang of how typical exercises work. Once you get to that you can always go lower reps (or higher). On your weight gainer. Thats the easiest thing to make at home. You already have milk and whey. Just add honey, maybe a fruit and some peanut butter and you are done. Weight gainers are nothing but 1000 cal MRPs loaded with sugars and proteins. When you make them at home you can always add a different fruit, switch protein powders, add different fat. You may have to do some extra work but considering you are 20 something and already lifting, working hard shouldnt be a problem :) Good luck!

Thanks man very informative. Im 17 btw' date=' 18 in Feb. You are right eventhough I try not to on dead lift and squat sometimes I ego lift and can compromise form. I squat parralel but cant go ATG, even with an empty rod. Im very unflexible, any tips regarding this? I have now after reading your post decided to eat more eggs (you scared me when you said im only trapping myself with 1 source of protein). Im doing lower reps for first 2 years, I read in the Starting Strength book low reps should be focus for beginners so then when they get on 8 reps they can do heavier at 8? So are you sure I should go ahead and change rep range? Also Im very narrow, I cant change bone structure and hope I will broaden by the time Im 20 but which excercises would make me appear broader? I almost have no shoulders but my shoulder press is my strongest lift somehow. I recently got a personal best of 60kg for 5 reps 3 sets : ). Was very happy. Most guys in the gym dont do barbell shoulder press, is the dumbell one better?[/quote'] Well if you eat eggs, whats your problem? It is the cheapest and easiest way to add protein to your diet. Go heavy on eggs. Eggs & milk based products with soy prtein should get you enough protein for your diet. With regards to flexibility is the issue more with your lower back? Can you touch toes for example? Or is it more in hamstrings? Can you sit on ground, bend your knees and meet your toes?? Figure out where the inflexibility and do some stretching. Do it after workout, not earlier. Change your rep range. Dont go less than 6-8. You are only 18 so chances are you need your body to understand the right form. Once you get the form locked in, weights will come in fast. The opposite doesnt work. If you lift heavy doesnt mean you have right form. Plus any injury will get you off the workout regime. Shoulders are easiest to create an illusion. If you are not broad, or are limited by bone structure, try to do more laterals and front presses. The bigger shoulder will get, the bigger illusion it creates. Since you are starting early, look up on Power Clean and Hang Clean. They will get you the thickness around the shoulders front and back. Dont go less than 6. If you have a narror structure, chances are your waist would be narrow too. Dont worry about guys with broad shoulders, they generally have broad waists too. The trick is to have a big enough shoulder with tiny waist, if you have the latter then you have a chance to make that cut.:winky:

Well if you eat eggs, whats your problem? It is the cheapest and easiest way to add protein to your diet. Go heavy on eggs. Eggs & milk based products with soy prtein should get you enough protein for your diet. With regards to flexibility is the issue more with your lower back? Can you touch toes for example? Or is it more in hamstrings? Can you sit on ground, bend your knees and meet your toes?? Figure out where the inflexibility and do some stretching. Do it after workout, not earlier. Change your rep range. Dont go less than 6-8. You are only 18 so chances are you need your body to understand the right form. Once you get the form locked in, weights will come in fast. The opposite doesnt work. If you lift heavy doesnt mean you have right form. Plus any injury will get you off the workout regime. Shoulders are easiest to create an illusion. If you are not broad, or are limited by bone structure, try to do more laterals and front presses. The bigger shoulder will get, the bigger illusion it creates. Since you are starting early, look up on Power Clean and Hang Clean. They will get you the thickness around the shoulders front and back. Dont go less than 6. If you have a narror structure, chances are your waist would be narrow too. Dont worry about guys with broad shoulders, they generally have broad waists too. The trick is to have a big enough shoulder with tiny waist, if you have the latter then you have a chance to make that cut.:winky:
Well I dont eat eggs, until now, I will start cause you scared me lol :winky:. I will start 6 reps from now on. Yes I do have narrow waist so thats good I guess. My quads have grown heaps and now jeans dont fit, but upper body hasnt changed much. My arms only grew 1 inch in a whole year : (. Chest was decent but shoulders look the same : (. I am shocking at flexibility, forget about touching toes I cant get within 3 inches of them lol. Also sorry for taking up your time but I edited my post #936 above and have more questions lol. I really appreciate the answers, very informative, gotta go now but will read later.

Well I dont eat eggs' date=' until now, I will start cause you scared me lol :winky:. I will start 6 reps from now on. Yes I do have narrow waist so thats good I guess. My quads have grown heaps and now jeans dont fit, but upper body hasnt changed much. My arms only grew 1 inch in a whole year : (. [b']Chest was decent but shoulders look the same : (. I am shocking at flexibility, forget about touching toes I cant get within 3 inches of them lol. Also sorry for taking up your time but I edited my post #936 above and have more questions lol. I really appreciate the answers, very informative, gotta go now but will read later.
Dont worry about shoulders. It takes lot longer time to develop than chest, legs and back. But here is the kicker. Once you have shoulders you pretty much have them for life. Arms and chest for example, you need to keep working out to be in great shape, but nothing like that for shoulders. You may lose some size but overall shoulders hold up better than other body parts. Maybe thats why they take a while to really hit the saddle.

Sounds interesting. But if you can try find 45mins to 1 hour 3-4 days a week. There must surely be some time right? If not a barbell' date='dumbbell, cheap squat rack and bench should be enough for the basics which you could then do at home. Not attacking you or anything but the most common reason for not lifting/excercising is "I don't have time" but Im sure you can find 45 mins in a day. Good luck, but remember to take at least 1 day off after a day of working out to allow for growth. Check with lurker or an other expert but I think this should be fine.[/quote'] Sure bro, will keep that in mind :haha: Ok I m not gonna be mean...Been strength training for a many years... 5 days a week/1 hour each day ...

Ok it's something like 200g Protein, 400g carbs and 130 g fat in a day. I gain around about 1kg a month (high metabolism i only gain weight at around 3700-3800 cals) with this. If I reduce protein I will reduce calories and not gain weight. Now I'll state more info so you can evaluate, Im pretty much a newbie. I started lifting when I was 16 about 14 months ago because i was really skinny (still am). Im currently 5'11 and 75kg. I keep my workouts to low reps and not too many exercises because many people say you should focus on strength more for first 2 years because you will gain size as a noob anyway. My lifts have progressed over last 13 months Bench- 35kg to 85kg Squat- 40kg to 100kg Deadlift 60kg to 115kg Im hoping to reach my goals by the time Im 21 (in 3 years) Its to be 85kg at 10%bf with bench of 300, squat 350 and deadlift 400 minimum (lbs ofcourse) There are no signs of intolerance for me. Hope this is enough to evaluate a diet.
Most of your queries have been answered, here are few random points from this post and later. 10 kg in 3 years is piece of cake. in fact, you can do 10 kg in 3-6 months - but it will be a bit dirty and you will have to follow up with a cleansing cycle. naturally - metabolism reduces by age, keeping everything else same. So, its easier to gain weight in late 20s - but further later it becomes difficult ( esp gaining/maintaining lean muscle) because of decrease in required hormones - esp Test. Good thing about gaining weight, building base early on is - that its easier to limit fat deposits when you do bulking in teens/early 20s - as compared to bulking up in later age. Belts - personally, I am not in favor of belts, unless you go really heavy lifting - power lifting etal. For body building purposes, ideally your core should be strong enough to support. Besides, I believe, such external support systems can give you false sense of security and you might compromise on form/technique a bit. Also, if you do not have religious inhibitions - go ahead eat everything..or at least add eggs. I was pure veg, and now I eat everything. In fact, trigger point was - when I saw my non-veg friend bulking up faster than me - despite putting same effort.

bottom-line - enjoy the process, and keep track of your progress, or lack of it - eventually you will reach your goals.. time is heavily on your side - but that should not make you go slow. Another thing - since you are young - you will see lot of people from your age group - coming up with fancy supplements, many times even steroids/growth hormones.. stay away from such junk.. keep things simple. At your age, your natural supply of hormones is more than you can handle in the gym. I know a friend, who got carried away, and then had to go through expensive hormone therapies/treatment to get back somewhat close to normalcy.

bottom-line - enjoy the process, and keep track of your progress, or lack of it - eventually you will reach your goals.. time is heavily on your side - but that should not make you go slow. Another thing - since you are young - you will see lot of people from your age group - coming up with fancy supplements, many times even steroids/growth hormones.. stay away from such junk.. keep things simple. At your age, your natural supply of hormones is more than you can handle in the gym. I know a friend, who got carried away, and then had to go through expensive hormone therapies/treatment to get back somewhat close to normalcy.
Speaking of supplements what typically works for you Akshay? Not including protein powders some that I have used: BCAAs (works) Fish Oil (works) Creatine (works) Green tea (does not work) Arachidonic Acid (works) Sesame Oil (works) Pre-Workout drink (some of them work) Post-Workout drink (only Myozene works) ZMA (does not work) Beta-Alanine (works) Hmmm what did I miss out? :hmmm:

Hey guys, Great to see everyone working so hard! For the new year I've changed my schedule up a little bit Day 1: Batting against bowling machine for 20 minutes, then 30 minutes swimming Day 2: Squats, Bench, Barbell Row Day 3: Swimming 30 minutes Day 4: Squats, Shoulder Press, Deadlift Day 5: Stationary Bike for 30 minutes Day 6: Stationary Bike for 30 minutes or REST Day 7: Squats, Bench, Barbell Row The lifting days keep rotating. For someone looking to gain strength and size ( in that priority), am I giving my muscles enough time to rest? Keep in mind the swimming and biking that I do I make a concious effort not to push myself. It is more to just keep me loose