Want to get in shape for summer? Join in...

Lurker

Been working out from last 1 and half years.. 5 days a week...2 hours each day in Gym... Have got proper Chest' date=' Bisceps, Back and Shoulders but 6 packs kaa doorr door tak naam nahi... I have given up on 6 packs... .I mix abs like everyday but no results for packs... I guess its just that I love Food and drinking too much Milk doesnt help me either...I am just happy with my flat stomatch[/quote'] Abs are highly overrated. Dont go for abs but go for firm stomach. If you desire 6 pack the first thing that is going to go down the pooper is the overall strength. To squat heavy you need a strong core. To do deadlifts and barbell rows you need strong midsection. 6 pack abs will make you lose a lot of strength(check out SRK with his 6 pack abs, you will be shocked as to how under developed his shoulders and arms are..and dont even think of legs). My recommendation is so long as your waist line is okay(31-33 or thereabouts) and you have firm midsection you should be set. xxx

Lurker, time for restart the thread - although we're a fair bit into the summer, I guess. Around 170 lbs, 5'10"-ish. I'm not fat I guess but what would you suggest to reduce my slightly increasing paunch (from my flat stomach last year :(( ). I'm presently running about 1.5 miles a day (on a treadmill, and i've never been a big fan of running. :-/ ) + doing the elliptical (for about 15 minutes at the highest incline - not sure how to quantify it) + doing the rowing thing (10+ minutes everyday) + ab exercises.Just started this routine about 2 weeks ago though. And have been a little off and on. Diet: For breakfast, its been generally cereal with soy milk/ 1 bagle + apple For lunch, a decent sized plate of either upma or some type of rice For dinner, same as lunch Eat a lot of carrots, fruits in between. Help :pray:
:omg::omg: Where's the protein dude ??

managed to gain about 10 pounds this spring/summer. so in all, from 120 pounds last summer to about 140 now :cool: It's been slow going, but it's worth it since most of the gain has been muscle. My diet is pretty clean, though. I had to stop running cross country this past year so that I can concentrate on adding some weight and strength. My goal is to get to about 160-165 in the next 2 years or so.

Abs are highly overrated. Dont go for abs but go for firm stomach. If you desire 6 pack the first thing that is going to go down the pooper is the overall strength. To squat heavy you need a strong core. To do deadlifts and barbell rows you need strong midsection. 6 pack abs will make you lose a lot of strength(check out SRK with his 6 pack abs, you will be shocked as to how under developed his shoulders and arms are..and dont even think of legs). My recommendation is so long as your waist line is okay(31-33 or thereabouts) and you have firm midsection you should be set. xxx
hmm..thanks for the advice..I would choose stregth over Packs anyday... I always have arguements with my Gymbuddies about whether to do running/cardios before or after the gym.. I run outside in the ground(in both Winters and Summer) for around 1.2Km everday before doing my weights..some of my friends sugest me to do the running after the workout...which one is a better option and why

5ft 10 and 170 lbs is not bad. The good news is that you only have to lose about 5-10 lbs tops. The bad news is often it is more difficult to lose the last 5-10. You mentioned some cardio(all good by the way) but you did not mention the time. I personally receive the best results when I do fasted cardio; cardion early in the morning when I have not had anything for 6-8 hours. You can pop in a caffein tablet, or a Red Bull(Diet) to drag you out of the bed and onto the treadmill. Sometimes people workout in the evenings when they have had a meal about 2-3 hours back, which means they typically burn the calorie of the meal rather than the stored bodyfat. I would recommend you give fasted cardio a shot. Just do what you are doing but on an empty stomach.
Hmm, ok. Yeah, as you guessed, I do exercise at around 6:00-6:30 and I generally eat lunch at around 2:00 PM. The problem with doing on a fasted stomach is that I generally work out at the Uni. gym, and I'd have drag myself to come here in the mornings. I guess I can try early in the mornings starting tomorrow :woot:
Also I will cut down down on rice before night. Dont cut it all 7 days a week but start with upma/rice on 4 days a week and 3 weeks have some veggies(raw/steamed/boiled). You may also want to add some protein(cottage cheese, beans etc) in the evenings. Just make sure you don't have too much rice on the 4 days that you are gonna have it. xxx
Thanks! :D Shall cut down on rice, which most of the time is with a lot of greens/dal and veggies (fried though :-/ ). Will keep you updated on progress.

hmm..thanks for the advice..I would choose stregth over Packs anyday... I always have arguements with my Gymbuddies about whether to do running/cardios before or after the gym.. I run outside in the ground(in both Winters and Summer) for around 1.2Km everday before doing my weights..some of my friends sugest me to do the running after the workout...which one is a better option and why
They will both solve different purposes. Running before workout will get your heart rate up, warm and loosen your body for the weights that you are gonna lift. Since you are running for 1.2km thats probably about 10 minutes or thereabouts. So running essentially helps you as a warm-up routine. Make sure you dont run for 25 minutes or else you will lose energy for the weights. Running right after will help you lose fat. This is because the heart rate is already up thanks to the weight lifting and hence your body has to dig further to fuel the energy for running. Both of them are good. If you wanna warm up run before, if you wanna lose weight/burn calories run after. xx

They will both solve different purposes. Running before workout will get your heart rate up, warm and loosen your body for the weights that you are gonna lift. Since you are running for 1.2km thats probably about 10 minutes or thereabouts. So running essentially helps you as a warm-up routine. Make sure you dont run for 25 minutes or else you will lose energy for the weights. Running right after will help you lose fat. This is because the heart rate is already up thanks to the weight lifting and hence your body has to dig further to fuel the energy for running. Both of them are good. If you wanna warm up run before, if you wanna lose weight/burn calories run after. xx
Any intense activity after workout should help lose weight, right? I bike to about 6.5-7 miles away. So.. I guess that would help lose weight? :woot:

The idea for cardio after workout/weights is that you will end up depleting your glycogen stores during weights (if you lift intensely enough), and when you do cardio, you will have to provide energy from your fat reserves since it is the second place where the body looks to provide energy from. so, i take a lot of interest in sports nutrition since two of my closest friends are bodybuilders (both natural, btw :hehe:), and we have plenty of discussions on training and diet, especially since I myself am trying to gain some strength. so, going by the above logic and from my studies, i don't agree with low-fat diets for weight loss. it's actually counter-productive. if you don't provide your body with nutritional fat, your body will start saving the "fat" and it will be very hard for your body to let go of it since it wants to preserve it. so, you have to eat fat to lose fat :). But, don't go over-board killer! For myself, I try to keep fat at around 25%-30% of my total calories, equally split among saturated, polyun, monoun. But, the biggest factor is trying to balance Omega-6 vs. Omega-3 (1:1 ratio). Most people have 6:1 ratio if not worse, which can lead to heart problems and all. I eat a lot of fish and I buy omega-3 eggs. But for people who don't eat meat/eggs, you can try fish oil or flaxseed oil capsules to get your omega-3's. On the other hand, I think a better way for someone to lose fat is through controlling insulin spikes. A large insulin spike (meaning you eat ****-tons of high glycemic carbs at one sitting) means that you won't be able to use it all (depending on your body type), and it will end up being stored (=fat). I wouldn't recommend a low-carb diet mainly because you feel like **** and will have no energy, but I really like eating (complex) carbs around my workouts and pretty much none at other times. I eat mainly whole wheat and whole grain stuff, but if I eat rice/pasta/all-purpose flour stuff, I just throw in some fiber supplement. I followed this for the past year or so and gained about 20 pounds, with no noticeable fat gain. This is not an exact science, but I am at around 2800 calories with 35-40% carbs, 35% protein, 25-30% fat meal 1: protien + carbs + fat + veggies weights meal 2: protein + carbs + fat + veggies meal 3: protein + fat + veggies meal 4: protein + fat + veggies sports/cardio meal 5: protein + carbs + fat + veggies meal 6: protein + fat works for me. obviously, to lose weight, depending on your height/weight, you can't eat 2800 calories. Start with your body weight (in pounds) * 15 calories, and adjust as you go. You can aim for 0.5-1 pound fat loss per week. I mean, "fat loss" not weight loss. In the beginning, you can drop 3-4 pounds per week, but that will be mostly water weight.

hey guys...many congratz to those who accomplished their goals. Lurker's given some great tips all around and has shown the way with getting to his goal. Here's my story: Start: 5 7, 170 pounds, fat rolls, 100 m dash in about 13 seconds (when I was 16 I could do it in 11.5) Now: 5 9 3/4, 148 pounds, not a flat stomach but fat has gone down considerably, 100 m dash in 11.9 i'm feeling pretty good to have accomplished what I set out to do. Many thanks to people who encouraged me and especially Lurker to keep this thread going. There's still a lot of time left in the summer and I wanna keep the good work up. I'm finding resistance training has really helped me bat for a lot longer into the innings. Special thanks to those who doubted, but where there's a will there's a way. Next challenge? 6 pack! that and i need to add some inches to my vertical leap, i wanna dunk a full size net in the future!

First up, this thread is NOT for you if you: 1) Beleive staying in shape is only for meterosexual male and ****ty females. 2) Would much rather prefer to wear three piece suits, or full length salwar suit/saree in summer. Not because you like it but because it hides those extra baggage. 3) Keep pushing the agenda of getting in shape for next year. If you seriously beleive in any of those I humbly suggest this thread is not for you. However if you have made it past those points first up give yourself a pat on your back. YOU realize you have work to do and lets use this forum to better ourself. I mean surely there has to be more to life(and ICF) than discussing SRT/Kumble 24*7 or wonder why Bal Thackeray is a loony. None of those issues affect our daily lives but our health surely does. Today is 12th Feb. If we make a target of June 1st as deadline that means a total of 109 days till start of summer. That is a solid 15+ plus weeks. This is also a time when most festivities - Dusshera, Diwali, New Years, Christmas etc has become history and needless to say we all have packed some pounds. So before the summer arrives and out comes the top and muscle t-shirt lets inspire each other, and ourselves, and get to our best health. We have a bunch of certified gym rats - Gator, Predator, yours truly. Then we have people with enough knowledge who are not as regular(Varun). Plus we have people who have a very active lifestyle - Dhondy & Shwetabh. Lets pool in our resources and work to better ourselves. If we have enough participation I would even make this a competition with awards for 1-2-3. And even those who do not win will be winners in the sense their health would be better, and so would their self-confidence and life overall. So dont wait. If you have wanted to lose weight, chisel your body, add extra pounds your effort starts right here. Join in one and all. Cheers!
ok, so a friend of mine challenged me... i must run a sub 9 minute mile, in a total run of 3 miles or more... i ll post my progress thus far shortly.

Lurker, I have a question for u. Am 6 foot and weigh about 87 kg. My problem is that I have gained weight lately and there is fat at annoying places like the stomach and hips. So I have started working out lately.. I was a shot put thrower in my school days and was a regular jogger.The problem now is that I have shin splints due to jogging after a long break and its very painful. A friend of mine told me that walking for a long duration is better than jogging for burning fat. Is it true? I take oats in the morning and mostly whole wheat for lunch and dinner. I have cut out rice completely. Is this advisable?

hey lurks i really need a fix for this protein thing... i take two helpings of whey (about two scoops) with either cold water or skim milk in the morning and well to put it lightly, i fart as if i was brewing beer in my stomach. there has to be a fix for this sh*t (bad choice of words)...

can anyone post a balanced diet for a vegetarian please?
if only u had taken some time and gone back to the first page of this thread... Lurks posted this... Chal ek sample diet batata hoon tere ko. See how much of this you can manage in a day. And yes I will make you eat and eat and eat. Meal 1(around 9 am): 2-4 toast of wheat bread with honey/jelly/jam. 1 orange/apple/2 bananas Glass of milk(whatever you fancy regular or fatfree..upto you) Start with 2 bread and go upto 4. Since you are on lighter side you can afford to eat more if you can. Meal 2 (around 12 pm): Veggie sandwitch with yogurt and some fruit. You can get this from regular store. However if you can make it that would be even better. Meal 3 (around 3 pm) Whey protein with two spoons of macademia/peanut butter/olive oil. This is your new addition. And yes you need it because you are having little protein otherwise. I can give you names of a few Whey Protein you can check out at local fitness center. Meal 4(around 6 pm) Bowl of yogurt/cottage cheese with fruits. Meal 5 (around 9 pm) Typical meal - say rice, daal, veggies and stuff. This will get you 5 meals of which 4 are solid and one is supplemented. Once you get a hang of this I will increase the shake to twice a day to bump up your protein and thus you will also have 6 meals a day. Of course if you can start eating eggs that would help too but not sure if thats an option.

eehhh excuse me! being a girl can i join in!! by the way the guys those of u trying to cut carbs need to remember that some fruit specially mango grapes etc also have carbs too complex as they maybe go easy on them!! those of u who chose to get ur protein from a veggie diet stick to wholesome grains and pulses (rajma cholle mung butter beans etc) avoid processed flours too get ya mrs to add bajra to ur rotis it increases fibre and protien and makes ur rotis GI content less

can anyone post a balanced diet for a vegetarian please?
if only u had taken some time and gone back to the first page of this thread... Lurks posted this... Chal ek sample diet batata hoon tere ko. See how much of this you can manage in a day. And yes I will make you eat and eat and eat. Meal 1(around 9 am): 2-4 toast of wheat bread with honey/jelly/jam. 1 orange/apple/2 bananas Glass of milk(whatever you fancy regular or fatfree..upto you) Start with 2 bread and go upto 4. Since you are on lighter side you can afford to eat more if you can. Meal 2 (around 12 pm): Veggie sandwitch with yogurt and some fruit. You can get this from regular store. However if you can make it that would be even better. Meal 3 (around 3 pm) Whey protein with two spoons of macademia/peanut butter/olive oil. This is your new addition. And yes you need it because you are having little protein otherwise. I can give you names of a few Whey Protein you can check out at local fitness center. Meal 4(around 6 pm) Bowl of yogurt/cottage cheese with fruits. Meal 5 (around 9 pm) Typical meal - say rice, daal, veggies and stuff. This will get you 5 meals of which 4 are solid and one is supplemented. Once you get a hang of this I will increase the shake to twice a day to bump up your protein and thus you will also have 6 meals a day. Of course if you can start eating eggs that would help too but not sure if thats an option.

hey lurks i really need a fix for this protein thing... i take two helpings of whey (about two scoops) with either cold water or skim milk in the morning and well to put it lightly, i fart as if i was brewing beer in my stomach. there has to be a fix for this sh*t (bad choice of words)...
There is a good chance you are taking WPC (Whey Protein Concentrate) or a blended whey with WPC in it. Look for proteins with WPIs (Whey Protein Isolate). WPIs are pre-digested and pass straight to the blood stream. If you can tell me the protein you are using I can tell you straight up if its the WPC causing the gas. xxx

Lurker, I have a question for u. Am 6 foot and weigh about 87 kg. My problem is that I have gained weight lately and there is fat at annoying places like the stomach and hips. So I have started working out lately.. I was a shot put thrower in my school days and was a regular jogger.The problem now is that I have shin splints due to jogging after a long break and its very painful. A friend of mine told me that walking for a long duration is better than jogging for burning fat. Is it true?
The great news for you is that you used to be a shot put thrower. Which means your body has a muscle memory, that you probably do not realize, of short and powerful moments. A good shot put thrower will have strong shoulders, back, arms, lower back and legs. So you already have a base set there man, just up to you to harness it. Sorry to hear about the shin problem. It would be problematic to run and hence walking is definitely a good idea. Or riding a stationary bike. Running gets your heart rate up which in turn bumps up your metabolism. Now obviously if you run 20 minutes you will have to walk about 35 minutes to burn the same calories but you can twist it a bit. You can walk at a good pace for 10 minutes, then do 15-20 pushups, then walk another 10 and do those pushups. This will completely throw your body in surprise, will bump heart rate and burn calories. Your history of back/shoulder strength should help you in doing pushups as well. And your legs dont come into picture at all. Give that a shot.
I take oats in the morning and mostly whole wheat for lunch and dinner. I have cut out rice completely. Is this advisable?
Oats are great. Cutting out rice is good but you can take brown rice if you find it palatable. I actually eat brown rice much more than I eat wheat for the extra fibre content. Took me a while to develop the taste though. xx

The great news for you is that you used to be a shot put thrower. Which means your body has a muscle memory, that you probably do not realize, of short and powerful moments. A good shot put thrower will have strong shoulders, back, arms, lower back and legs. So you already have a base set there man, just up to you to harness it. Sorry to hear about the shin problem. It would be problematic to run and hence walking is definitely a good idea. Or riding a stationary bike. Running gets your heart rate up which in turn bumps up your metabolism. Now obviously if you run 20 minutes you will have to walk about 35 minutes to burn the same calories but you can twist it a bit. You can walk at a good pace for 10 minutes, then do 15-20 pushups, then walk another 10 and do those pushups. This will completely throw your body in surprise, will bump heart rate and burn calories. Your history of back/shoulder strength should help you in doing pushups as well. And your legs dont come into picture at all. Give that a shot. Oats are great. Cutting out rice is good but you can take brown rice if you find it palatable. I actually eat brown rice much more than I eat wheat for the extra fibre content. Took me a while to develop the taste though.xx
those of u who cant develop a taste try making a LOW FAT Biryani with brown rice it actually tastes better !!

great thread Lurks and I need help bad :P Current weight 85 kg ;( 5 feet 8, 28 years ( yeah Dhondy I am less than 5 9') :) first aim 75 kg by November 2009 :D aim 68 kg. time 6-7 or 8 months. I sued to be 90 got it down to 75 in 6 months, swimming, strength training diet.. then injured my right ACL playing badminton, stopped gym, then personal problems. I started going to the gym again and one week later got hit by a taxi now my left ACL is damaged. :( My current diet ... Breakfast - milk , quakers oatmeal and 1 glass carrot juice. mid-morning - ice lemon tea lunch - rice/(can be replaced with bun or bread), mushroom sauce, fish, after lunch snack - ice lemon tea evening snack - 2 bars quackers/ national valley etc 1 glass carrot juice dinner - yougurt, 2 egg whites and almonds and 1 glass carrot juice :D need to add veggies somewhere but unable to do so at lunch since don't get time to cook at home and can't cook at all