Want to get in shape for summer? Join in...

Lurker

great thread Lurks and I need help bad :P Current weight 85 kg ;( 5 feet 8, 28 years ( yeah Dhondy I am less than 5 9') :) first aim 75 kg by November 2009 :D aim 68 kg. time 6-7 or 8 months. I sued to be 90 got it down to 75 in 6 months, swimming, strength training diet.. then injured my right ACL playing badminton, stopped gym, then personal problems. I started going to the gym again and one week later got hit by a taxi now my left ACL is damaged. :( My current diet ... Breakfast - milk , quakers oatmeal and 1 glass carrot juice. mid-morning - ice lemon tea lunch - rice/(can be replaced with bun or bread), mushroom sauce, fish, after lunch snack - ice lemon tea evening snack - 2 bars quackers/ national valley etc 1 glass carrot juice dinner - yougurt, 2 egg whites and almonds and 1 glass carrot juice :D need to add veggies somewhere but unable to do so at lunch since don't get time to cook at home and can't cook at all
could you not try adding raw veggies to ur diet?? Chopped carrots peppers cucumbers etc dupped in low fat yoghurt or hummous even plus raw veggies have a better nutrient content not to mention the fact that they are raw means ur body works harder to digest them!!

The great news for you is that you used to be a shot put thrower. Which means your body has a muscle memory, that you probably do not realize, of short and powerful moments. A good shot put thrower will have strong shoulders, back, arms, lower back and legs. So you already have a base set there man, just up to you to harness it. Sorry to hear about the shin problem. It would be problematic to run and hence walking is definitely a good idea. Or riding a stationary bike. Running gets your heart rate up which in turn bumps up your metabolism. Now obviously if you run 20 minutes you will have to walk about 35 minutes to burn the same calories but you can twist it a bit. You can walk at a good pace for 10 minutes, then do 15-20 pushups, then walk another 10 and do those pushups. This will completely throw your body in surprise, will bump heart rate and burn calories. Your history of back/shoulder strength should help you in doing pushups as well. And your legs dont come into picture at all. Give that a shot. Oats are great. Cutting out rice is good but you can take brown rice if you find it palatable. I actually eat brown rice much more than I eat wheat for the extra fibre content. Took me a while to develop the taste though. xx
Thanks lurks, I will definitely try that. BTW.. Is there any remedy for the shin pain...I use ice

Current weight 85 kg ;( 5 feet 8, 28 years ( yeah Dhondy I am less than 5 9') :) first aim 75 kg by November 2009 :D aim 68 kg. time 6-7 or 8 months. I sued to be 90 got it down to 75 in 6 months, swimming, strength training diet.. then injured my right ACL playing badminton, stopped gym, then personal problems. I started going to the gym again and one week later got hit by a taxi now my left ACL is damaged. :(
Hate to disappoint you mate but I think your aims may not be realistic. Getting down to 75 kg by November means losing 10 kg in 4 months ( Aug-Sep-Oct-Nov). That is equivalent to losing 2.5 kg(6 pounds) a month. Close to 1 pound every 5 days. Doable? Yes. But not doable without going for desperate measures. I would say get the goal down to 5 kg in 4 months. This way you have a very achievable target and you are not gonna get disheartened. Plus if you do manage to lose 10 kg you would have exceeded your goal by 100%! And that should be enough motivation for next round.
My current diet ... Breakfast - milk , quakers oatmeal and 1 glass carrot juice. mid-morning - ice lemon tea lunch - rice/(can be replaced with bun or bread), mushroom sauce, fish, after lunch snack - ice lemon tea evening snack - 2 bars quackers/ national valley etc 1 glass carrot juice dinner - yougurt, 2 egg whites and almonds and 1 glass carrot juice
You are eating clean for the most part. I would suggest a few changes, if you can. a) Add couple of egg whites and 1 whole egg to your morning breakfast. Skip carrot juice and add raw apple or carrots. b) Switch to Diet lemon tea if you arent already. c) I would change Quackers bars with yogurt with almonds. You can try Greek yogurt if you can find(Try Faje brand..they are expensive though). d) Switch yogurt with cottage cheese in the night. You need to add some veggies, steamed would be good. Also make sure you are not taking a lot of calories. Try to stick around a grand total of 2000 or under. Good luck!

hey wow thanks :)

Hate to disappoint you mate but I think your aims may not be realistic. Getting down to 75 kg by November means losing 10 kg in 4 months ( Aug-Sep-Oct-Nov). That is equivalent to losing 2.5 kg(6 pounds) a month. Close to 1 pound every 5 days. Doable? Yes. But not doable without going for desperate measures. I would say get the goal down to 5 kg in 4 months. This way you have a very achievable target and you are not gonna get disheartened. Plus if you do manage to lose 10 kg you would have exceeded your goal by 100%! And that should be enough motivation for next round.
i'll compromise say 6 kgs :D But you are right 10 looks unrealistic given my current status.
You are eating clean for the most part. I would suggest a few changes, if you can. a) Add couple of egg whites and 1 whole egg to your morning breakfast. Skip carrot juice and add raw apple or carrots. b) Switch to Diet lemon tea if you arent already. c) I would change Quackers bars with yogurt with almonds. You can try Greek yogurt if you can find(Try Faje brand..they are expensive though). d) Switch yogurt with cottage cheese in the night. You need to add some veggies, steamed would be good. Also make sure you are not taking a lot of calories. Try to stick around a grand total of 2000 or under. Good luck!
a) easy b) done c) d) if the supermarket near my house has it I will Hmm i forgot to add during diner I also take fruits, preferably papaya, honeydew, jack fruit (2 out of 3) Where do I fit in the veggies. I can buy the salad stuff they have in the supermarket, carrot juice is my savior for the tasteless stuff :D

could you not try adding raw veggies to ur diet?? Chopped carrots peppers cucumbers etc dupped in low fat yoghurt or hummous even plus raw veggies have a better nutrient content not to mention the fact that they are raw means ur body works harder to digest them!!
hummus i actually like it :D but the Lebanese outlet is too far out. Raw veggies I am hoping they sell chopped carrots etc somewhere :D

I have a question - What is the easiest way to reduce "beer belly". I am naturally agile/fit. Up until a couple of years back, i used to play a lot of tennis and cricket and didn't really have much a problem. But last couple of years, sports has taken a back seat apart from the odd cricket tournaments. But i did go to the gym properly for about a year (took a 2 month break recently and slowly getting back to it) for a light workout(mostly concentrated on weight) 3 days a week. Cut to the chase, i have toned enough body everywhere except the belly. I dont follow a special diet but i dont pig out. Last 5 years i have mostly had a meat,mostly chicken, diet (cos my vegetarian cooking is awful). Apart from getting drunk at parties, rarely, i drink alcohol around 2~3 days a week. Nothing much, either 3 shots of vodka or 3 glasses of wine and couple of bottles of beer when hot. All are probably a contributing factor but which is the most ? Its not huge but its not flat. I am not looking for anything major. Just some things to cut and get into shape slowly.

hummus i actually like it :D but the Lebanese outlet is too far out. Raw veggies I am hoping they sell chopped carrots etc somewhere :D
hummus is actually really easy to make at home as well! its chick peas ground with olive oil sesame seeds and garlic yeah most western supermarkets do sell chopped veg but then remember us losing nurtients for the amount of time its been chopped and packaged

I have a question - What is the easiest way to reduce "beer belly". I am naturally agile/fit. Up until a couple of years back, i used to play a lot of tennis and cricket and didn't really have much a problem. But last couple of years, sports has taken a back seat apart from the odd cricket tournaments. But i did go to the gym properly for about a year (took a 2 month break recently and slowly getting back to it) for a light workout(mostly concentrated on weight) 3 days a week. Cut to the chase, i have toned enough body everywhere except the belly. I dont follow a special diet but i dont pig out. Last 5 years i have mostly had a meat,mostly chicken, diet (cos my vegetarian cooking is awful). Apart from getting drunk at parties, rarely, i drink alcohol around 2~3 days a week. Nothing much, either 3 shots of vodka or 3 glasses of wine and couple of bottles of beer when hot. All are probably a contributing factor but which is the most ? Its not huge but its not flat. I am not looking for anything major. Just some things to cut and get into shape slowly.
Cardio cardio cardio! its the only way to lose tummy fat!! run cycle row anything that gets you sweaty!! and gets the heart rate going but really push ur limits on it reduce ur carb intake in the evening too that will get u results straight away!! even a hundred sit ups a day will not flatten ur tummy!! (atleast not without the cardio)

I have been busting my butt so hard in the gym for the last 6 weeks that i have literally torn myself a new hole. If this doesnt produce results, effin I have promised to go back to my merry ways of the past. :bandit: