FERNANDO GONZALEZ...

Sooda

Re: FERNANDO GONZALEZ... Gonzalez is the man. Great player to watch. Some of those winners- wow. BEAST of a forehand. If he can play like he did today on a consistent basis- which he has been doing increasingly over the past few months- he can give even Federer a hard ride. Mind you Nadal really didnt turn up today.

Re: FERNANDO GONZALEZ... I nwas HOPING A Rod vs Fed would go to four sets- that would mean Roddick put up a fight. Watched the 1st set. Not bad But then from the sounds of things Federer stepped into over drive- best individualr perfromance ever at the Aus open apparently hes too good to be true. its scary.

Re: FERNANDO GONZALEZ... That forehand is just out of the world. Incredible to watch, this guy. He covers the court really well too. Federer vs Gonzalez should be a good game. Though, it still doesn't excite me enough to watch Mr. Boring win yet another title.

Re: FERNANDO GONZALEZ... Best forehand in the business, by far. But what really stuck in my mind were those aces which he could summon almost at will, and those 100 mph winners he was hitting game after game. Nadal plays the best defence in tennis, chases everything and has immense reserves of energy but even he was reduced to spectator status as Gonzo just overpowered him. His was the best display i have seen in a long time and i hope he finally wins this tournament.

Re: FERNANDO GONZALEZ... Gonzo kicking some Haa®s(e) at the moment. Leaving him for dead with some scorchers. he's tennis in form player. Barring fed of course who is always in form. Federer will have to play very well to beat him. He will. But he is not too keen on shot makers and him vs Gonzo will be a match and a half.

Re: FERNANDO GONZALEZ...

I assume you are not counting Federer just because he is too good!
I am serious. I haven't seen anyone in today's game play that shot better.
After watching the Haas match i must say that my opinion has changed a little bit but i would like to see how long he is able to maintain this flawless game of his...should be a great final!

Re: FERNANDO GONZALEZ... Watched the first set, the gonzalez guy really had a chance to put the set away with two match points on serve and he choked. Knew Fed would kill him from there. Anyways, atleast one great set. Thanks Gonzalez. Federer inching closer to be the greatest ever. He is just 4 behind Sampras in grand slam total. Would be great if he can top it all with a calendar slam. 20 grand slams is not out of question for Fed.

Watched the first set, the gonzalez guy really had a chance to put the set away with two match points on serve and he choked. Knew Fed would kill him from there.
Yep. Ironically, it was his trusty forehand (his "go-to" shot as ESPN commentator Cliff Drysdale put it) which let him down on that 2nd match point. He had the court opened up, Federer at his mercy and he slammed the forehand right into the net. Bummer. He huffed and puffed his way to 6-all (after 10 deuces to take it to the tie-break !) and then just lost his way. The serves were a bit off and his weak backhand let him down time and again. Gonzalez is a top class player though and looks set to take the tennis world by storm. Very much the real deal and a much improved player. He can't beat the Fed (yet), but he obliterated #5 James Blake and #2 Rafael Nadal to get this far - a feat in itself, and one which gives us an indication that he can mix it up with the best of them. It's worth mentioning that his coach is the marvellous Larry Stefanki - the same guy who took McEnroe, Kafelnikov and Marcelo Rios to the top of the world tennis' rankings - so it's safe to say that he will continue to get better from this point on under his tutelage. Look out for this guy at Wimbledon. A direct, powerful game built on wicked serve coupled with the best forehand in the business makes him a clear favourite on the grass. He made the QF's in '05, losing to Federer. Could go further this time if he gets a good draw.

Re: FERNANDO GONZALEZ... Gonzo doesn't have a backhand yet. He slices, even his backhand winners were semi-sliced, or had sidespin on them. Federer was constantly pinning him on his backhand side -- the only reason he was even mildly competitive was because his movement on court is just beutiful -- best I've seen after Fed. But agreed, definitely the real deal. He will do well to stay with Larry. Roddick should stick to press conferences. What a joke that match was.

A direct, powerful game built on wicked serve coupled with the best forehand in the business makes him a clear favourite on the grass. He made the QF's in '05, losing to Federer.
His serve is still a little weak though. Not in power, but in guile. He needs to add in a topspin-slice first serve down the T. But that forhand is worth every penny.