Federer steamrolls Roddick in Aussie semis

DesiChap

Re: Federer steamrolls Roddick in Aussie semis I suppose we can safely say that Federer is an all time great. In my opinion I would place him in top 5 greatest tennis player of all times. For all the great games that Borg, Connors, McNeroe, Sampras,Laver etc played I suppose at his best Federer would not come out second best. I would have loved to see Agassi vs Federer..both players at the height of their game! :wtg:

Re: Federer steamrolls Roddick in Aussie semis The only reason I cannot place Federer as the best player of all time is that the competition is absolutely nothing to write home about. The first set was nice n tight. I went out for about 20 mins, switched back on and the third set was already in play, saw the scoreline of 6-0 and off I went to sleep. This man is putting me off tennis. Women's tennis is far more interesting, with really good players like Vaidisova, the gal that lost to Cligsters, Cligsters herself, Henin, Sharapova. It is real good competition, plus plenty of eye candy.

Re: Federer steamrolls Roddick in Aussie semis Audio Federer MAKES the competition seem very ordinary. Roddick Nadal Safin hewitt are very good players. VERY good players. hewitt was ruling mens tennis before Federer happened. Roddick would be a top 5 player in any era. Federer is simply incredible. He would have beaten Sampras Agassi etc at their peaks. Sampras would have run him close as hell I imagine, but Federers shot making is just out of this world. I think everyone knew A Rod would lose.The question was how badly. I love the guy and really wanted him to put up a fight. But Federer was just another level man. To Rods credit he really has improved recently. lets hope that keeps going. Hopefully it will be gonzalez v fedrer. Gonzo is playing great tennis. he will lose. But hes a great shot maker and will trouble Fed with his power.

Re: Federer steamrolls Roddick in Aussie semis I do agree that tennis is getting boring now though. I support anyone whos playing federer these days. The tennis world needs Marat Safin fully fit, concentrating and in form Needs it badly.

Re: Federer steamrolls Roddick in Aussie semis heres another pt of view I've heard many people call Federer's dominance boring. It is true, he has no genuine rivals and in the form he is in, he is overwhelming favourite to win any tournament he enters - with Nadal apparently hitting a plateau, who would bet against him winning Roland Garros in June? But I say, celebrate it. Roger Federer is probably the greatest tennis player that ever lived - and he happened in our lifetimes. Tell me what's boring about that... http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/606/A19225947?s_fromedit=1

Re: Federer steamrolls Roddick in Aussie semis The most boring part about Federer is not his tennis, definitely. Heck, even his utter dominance pales on the boredom scale when you compare it with the man himself. Roger Federer, the person, has gotta be one of the most boring sports personalities in the world.

Re: Federer steamrolls Roddick in Aussie semis ^True. Roddick is a far more interesting personality. He's a funny guy, gracious always. Anyways This good post from the BBC site blog...agrees with what you say Audio... comment by mestallaman posted 30 Minutes Ago I think Federer is overrated. Don't get me wrong - he is without doubt a great player. But he does not have a rival of similar stature or ability, like all the great players of the past. Therefore to label Federer the Greatest is both premature and not comparing like with like. Let us put it this way. How many GS titles would Sampras have won if not for Agassi? 20? How many would Agassi have won if not for Sampras - 12? The difference in that era was that you had two players of an exceptinal standard battling each other for virtually every title. It was possible to measure how great Sampras was as despite having to face Agassi on a regular basis he was still able to win 14 Grand Slams. McEnroe had to contend with Borg, Conners and Lendl. How many Slams would McEnroe have won if not for the others? 15? How many Slams would Borg has won had he not walked away from tennis at 25 - having won 11, including 5 back to back French Opens and Wimbledons - despite playing in an era of greats? Lendl had to play against greats of two different eras - McEnroe and Conners, then Becker and Edberg - and he still won 8 grand slams. Apart from against Nadal on clay, what competition does Federer have? How many of today's players are of the statute of Lendl, McEnroe, Becker, Conners, Borg? Also to base this theory on a destruction of a player who has serious psychological deficiencies before even coming onto the court against Federer, makes the whole argument meaningless. To be the greatest individual performance of all time, you would expect it to have to be against your greatest rival, with both players playing at their peak. Roddick is not even great. In fact a cursory glance at Federer's "rivals" shows that he has no real competition. You have Roddick who has been smashed by Federer so many times, that he's almost beaten before he steps on court; Safin, whose is as fit as Shoaib Akhtar; Nalbandian, who lacks application and concentration to compete consistency and Davidenko, who twenty years ago would not have made the top 10. In fact, take a look at the top 10 on the Entry system: 1. Federer, 2.Nadal, 3. Davydenko 4. Ljubicic 5.Blake 6.Robredo 7.Roddick 8.Nalbandian 9. Gonzalez 10.Ancic. The top two apart, there's a real chasm is class and achievement. This has to be the worst era for mens tennis in living memory. There are some talented youngsters who are not quite ready yet and may bring a challenge in the future - Gael Monfils, Tomas Berdych, Richard Gasquet and maybe even Andy Murray. But their time is not now. Any still people say Federer is the greatest ever. Give me a break. He has no competition. indeed, the only player able to give him a challenge (Nadal) is quite a few years away from his peak (he's just 20). So please. Temper your admiration of an admittedly graceful and great champion. Federer is not the greatest, merely a great in an era of average Joes.

Re: Federer steamrolls Roddick in Aussie semis Ah yes, I agree. Davydenko, Blake and the rest - that is the problem. Federer is quite magnificent, no doubt, just that there is no real contest. But again, if you look back at Sampras' time, Michael Fackin Chang was #2, right behind Sampras for a good 4-5 years on the trot, which is quite an indication of the competition, or the lack of it, in those few years.

Re: Federer steamrolls Roddick in Aussie semis Becker would dust Federer on grass at his peak.... Lendl would leave Feddy panting for Gatorade on the clay courts in french open.... Tennis is not attracting good talent anymore..... To me, Agassi was the last great tennis player... Federer is good and better than the rest..... thats all.... it happens... Women's tennis was like this, for a while after Steffi left... now it is much better....

Re: Federer steamrolls Roddick in Aussie semis

Ah yes' date=' I agree. Davydenko, Blake and the rest - that is the problem. Federer is quite magnificent, no doubt, just that there is no real contest. But again, if you look back at Sampras' time, Michael Fackin Chang was #2, right behind Sampras for a good 4-5 years on the trot, which is quite an indication of the competition, or the lack of it, in those few years.[/quote'] Michael Chang at @2 for 4-5 years? What are you smoking audio? Sampras faced a fading Becker and Edberg, Agassi, Invanisevic, Rafter and I am sure many more very very good players. Clearly men's tennis is at an all time low now barring Federer. Im my book, Sampras is the greatest player of all time till Federer passes his grand slam win count.

Re: Federer steamrolls Roddick in Aussie semis 1. why is audio banned? 2. how can i get the video of Roger Vs Andy match? 3. One thing i liked about Roger when he won his quater final match...when Jim asked him about his INDIA visit.. he said few very good words about india and indians..its hospitality..its natural beauty..etc etc... and asked everyone to visit india at least once in a lifetime... 4. i think we still have some very good players ..like andy..Nalbandian..Hewitt..Safin... Nadal..so saying that federer has weak opposition..imo..is not correct.. IF federer can maintain his form and fitness...in next five years.. he will establish himself as the greatest ever..