Rajasthan Royals slap Rs 120cr suit on BCCI

Roshanrocks

With two months to go for the Indian Premier League's ( IPL) fourth edition to begin, Rajasthan Royals - the franchise co-owned by investors Manoj Badale, Suresh Chellaram and Lachlan Murdoch - are now batting on the front foot in their legal game against BCCI. The franchise, it is reliably learnt, have written to the board and the arbitrator - looking into the dispute between the parties - seeking damages to the tune of Rs 120 crore (approx $30m). Royals believe that the effort put in by BCCI to terminate the franchise contract and show the door to Royals - later resulting in the franchise heading to the court - has proved damaging to their image and reputation. In terms of money coming in from sponsorship and branding, the franchise is still in the thick of things thanks to their victory in the inaugural edition. However, sources inform that these avenues could've fetched Royals much more revenue had the image of the franchise not taken a beating because of the many court battles. Justice Srikrishna, the arbitrator who had granted an interim relief to the franchise and allowed them to participate in the player auctions last month, is looking into the arbitration that is currently in process. TOI has learnt that Royals have written to the arbitrator (along with a copy to BCCI), presenting their stand. Talking to TOI, Srikrishna said "I don't know if a copy (of Royals demanding damages from the board) has already reached my desk. I was hearing something on that front but I cannot confirm it now because I'm yet to receive it." Royals, a $67m franchise bought in 2008, won the tournament in its inaugural year and were banking on the market created by the champion unit to extend their fan base and improve on the revenue model. However, the flurry of court cases seem to have come as a major setback to the owners who are reeling under the threat of a BCCI backlash. The board was convinced that the franchise had not come clean on its ownership pattern and therefore terminated the contract, leading the franchise to take the Board to court. It is further learnt that after the player auction in January this year, Royals wrote to BCCI president Shashank Manohar saying that the franchise is willing to meet him and amicably resolve all issues. It is not known if the franchise has heard from BCCI in return.
and the IPL circus continues :hehe:

Drive BCCI crazy to the point they realise this IPL is just not worth the hassle, but then again the amount of money the big boys are making, they probably couldn't care either way
It was worth the hassle when Modi was in charge running everything smoothly :cool: