Dravid's another record

Re: Dravid's another record

thanks for the laugh.
He is a loose strokeplayer, hence why he can do nothing in test cricket but block. He has no other option because if he tries to open up, the better bowlers will send him packing. India doesn't need that kind of batsman at the top of the order in England. Do you seriously think he will survive against Harmison's bounce and Hoggard's accuracy ? Sehwag has scored against these bowlers in Test cricket before.
Please watch his innings in the 20-20 match against SA. For God's sake please dont watch a ball of cricket and comment' date=' watch the entire game and see how someone contibuted towards the team's success :shrug: [/quote'] Yeah, pick players in a test team based on their performances in 20/20. What genius !!! hahaha

Karthick has talent Preds and should be in team. His fielding is superb as well, great catch today
Yeah i'd definitely have him in the squad but is he good enough to play test cricket ? I think his inclusion in the XI as an opener is destined to become another entry in India's long list of failed openers.

Yeah i'd definitely have him in the squad but is he good enough to play test cricket ? I think his inclusion in the XI as an opener is destined to become another entry in India's long list of failed openers.
You just dont get it isnt it? Just wait until he hits a century against England and then shout your way ahead

Re: Dravid's another record Drop Karthik? Did Sehwag manage to get his series tally more than 20 as opener the last time he faced the English attack at home? Sehwag has some major issues to sort out. He is not just one good innings away from finding his form. The guy has barely managed to score as an opener if a patta was not offered to him over the last year and a half.

You just dont get it isnt it? Just wait until he hits a century against England and then shout your way ahead
LMFAO.
Drop Karthik? Did Sehwag manage to get his series tally more than 20 as opener the last time he faced the English attack at home? Sehwag has some major issues to sort out. He is not just one good innings away from finding his form. The guy has barely managed to score as an opener if a patta was not offered to him over the last year and a half.
Come on shwetabh, you know better than that. He scored a 70 odd not out in the 2nd innings @ Mohali. It's obvious that Sehwag looks far more vulnerable now than he ever did before, but he is still a far better Test batsman than Karthik. Besides, the point here isn't whether Sehwag is better than Karthik but whether Karthik is good enough to play test cricket as an opener. I for one, don't think so.
whether Karthik is good enough to play test cricket as an opener.
Karthick is good enough to play test cricket. We right now have no middle order slots. Sehwag has been sucking as an opener (more so in ODIs than tests). Hence we are giving this lad a chance. If Sehwag can be an opener with no footwork and no defense, anyone can be an opener. In the end it is all a question of whether they can score runs consistently. None of them are born openers.

I hate this ' all or nothing' approach of Indian fans. To be fair, Sehwag is far more likely to be back than not - he needs to sort out some stuff and get re-worked a bit. If Ponting, Steve Waugh etc. can be dropped and make a tremendous comeback, so can Waggy. It'd be a real pity for us to consign him to the dungheap because he has talent to burn. So in other words, i EXPECT Sehwag to be back by the time we head to Australia. Until then, Jaffer and Karthik should open- whoever one is the lesser one makes way for Waggy. And for #3, we need to start grooming Yuvraj for the job. Maybe he needs to get an extended run as #3 in ODIs and playing the occasional test when the 'big four' are injured or in meaningless Tests (like this series/dead rubbers etc). In those situations, Yuvvy can bat at #3 and Dravid at #4-6 (depending on who is rested/injured). The reason i say this is because while Dravid is one of the alltime great #3s in Tests ( i can only think of Lara, Richards, Ponting & Barrington as equally good #3s and Bradman the only superior), it is unreasonable to expect Dravid to continue fulfilling that role for long. He is in the wrong side of the 30s and while his technique is perfect as ever, his eyesight/reflexes will start slowing down fractionally. Based on that, like other great #3s, he should be looking to bat at #5 or #6 in a year or two. Ie, around the end of next year, our top order should have Yuvvy at #3 and Dravid at #5/6.

If Sehwag can be an opener with no footwork and no defense, anyone can be an opener. What a laughable comment. Can "anyone" average over 50 since making their debut as an opener ? That is what Sehwag has done for the last 4 seasons. Even in '06 he averaged over 40 and scored some big hundreds. Don't confuse ODI's with Tests. Sehwag has had just one bad series - in SA last winter. There is no justification for dropping him from the Test side. What makes you think Karthik is good enough to play Test cricket ? This kid is a journeyman if I ever saw one. He couldn't even score against Zimbabwe.

If Sehwag can be an opener with no footwork and no defense' date= anyone can be an opener. What a laughable comment. Can "anyone" average over 50 since making their debut as an opener ? That is what Sehwag has done for the last 4 seasons. Even in '06 he averaged over 40 and scored some big hundreds. Don't confuse ODI's with Tests. Sehwag has had just one bad series - in SA last winter. There is no justification for dropping him from the Test side. What makes you think Karthik is good enough to play Test cricket ? This kid is a journeyman if I ever saw one. He couldn't even score against Zimbabwe.
You know what I meant. It is not that "anyone" can average in the 50s. Sehwag was not an opener to start with and he proved that you can be one with limited technique. Regarding Karthick, his 93 in the second innings against Pak in 05 with that partnership with Dravid made be believe that he does have it in him to succeed. Before you start calling that Pak bowling useless, they did bundle us out in Bangalore. Back to Sehwag, his last 10 test scores - 2, 0, 11, 76*, 6, 0, 36, 41, 180, 31, 65, 0, 4, 4, 33, 0, 8, 40, 4 - averages 30 with 16 scores below 50 and 3 scores above 50. So, his 50 average is pretty meaningless at this point.
You know what I meant. It is not that "anyone" can average in the 50s. Sehwag was not an opener to start with and he proved that you can be one with limited technique. Regarding Karthick, his 93 in the second innings against Pak in 05 with that partnership with Dravid made be believe that he does have it in him to succeed. Before you start calling that Pak bowling useless, they did bundle us out in Bangalore. Back to Sehwag, his last 10 test scores - 2, 0, 11, 76*, 6, 0, 36, 41, 180, 31, 65, 0, 4, 4, 33, 0, 8, 40, 4 - averages 30 with 16 scores below 50 and 3 scores above 50. So, his 50 average is pretty meaningless at this point.
Sehwag's technique is excellent though. Sure, he doesn't have footwork but that is immaterial as he is able to make up for it with his incredible hand-eye coordination - a trait which sets him apart from any other batsman. Now I am not saying Karthik's technique isn't adequate - you can't play for India if you don't know how to wield the bat well - but he just lacks everything real test match batsmen need to succeed regularly. He can't manage an innings, his shot selection isn't good enough for a Test batsman, and he just doesn't inspire confidence when he is at the crease. You can't expect him to hit a bowler out of the attack when the chips are down. India can get away with playing him in Tests as a middle order batsman, but as an opener he falls well short of what is required. Sure, he has a few fifties to his name but the failures outnumber the successes by a long way. Even other failed Indian openers had their moments in the sun - Bangar at Headingley, Dasgupta at Mohali and at Port Elizabeth, Das in Zimbabwe, etc. i could go on, but none of them ever scored regularly enough to succeed in the opening slot. Karthik looks to be of the same ilk and hasn't done anything outstanding yet to indicate that he could be worth a shot as an opener. You don't want to somebody averaging 20 opening the innings for you in England - it's like starting 1 wicket down and that puts far too much pressure on the middle order.
Sehwag's technique is excellent though. Sure, he doesn't have footwork but that is immaterial as he is able to make up for it with his incredible hand-eye coordination - a trait which sets him apart from any other batsman. Now I am not saying Karthik's technique isn't adequate - you can't play for India if you don't know how to wield the bat well - but he just lacks everything real test match batsmen need to succeed regularly. He can't manage an innings, his shot selection isn't good enough for a Test batsman, and he just doesn't inspire confidence when he is at the crease. You can't expect him to hit a bowler out of the attack when the chips are down. India can get away with playing him in Tests as a middle order batsman, but as an opener he falls well short of what is required. Sure, he has a few fifties to his name but the failures outnumber the successes by a long way. Even other failed Indian openers had their moments in the sun - Bangar at Headingley, Dasgupta at Mohali and at Port Elizabeth, Das in Zimbabwe, etc. i could go on, but none of them ever scored regularly enough to succeed in the opening slot. Karthik looks to be of the same ilk and hasn't done anything outstanding yet to indicate that he could be worth a shot as an opener. You don't want to somebody averaging 20 opening the innings for you in England - it's like starting 1 wicket down and that puts far too much pressure on the middle order.
ROTFL @ yr fallacious argument WRT to sehwag and KKD's technique. even in the nets, KKD is better (as of today) than veeru. if you dont watch cricket, well, then, its not really my concern. comparing DAS/dasgupta, etc to KKD makes me think u r a hater. and also that u have never seen KKD batting. ah, well.
You don't want to somebody averaging 20 opening the innings for you in England - it's like starting 1 wicket down and that puts far too much pressure on the middle order.
Let's see when we lost Sehwag in the last Eng series at home: 1/11, 1/1, 1/18, 1/144*, 1/9, 6/77+ *The only innings out of 6 where he made any contribution was in the 2nd innings at Mohali with the target being 144, where he scored a 42*. +In the 3rd test, 2nd innings he came down the order and scored a mighty zero. Don't know where you are getting all this confidence about Sehwag giving us flying starts when we visit England. Yes, we all hope, but isn't it getting a little tiring hoping that these failed guys will deliver?
ROTFL @ yr fallacious argument WRT to sehwag and KKD's technique. even in the nets, KKD is better (as of today) than veeru. if you dont watch cricket, well, then, its not really my concern. comparing DAS/dasgupta, etc to KKD makes me think u r a hater. and also that u have never seen KKD batting. ah, well.
Surprise, surprise, I HAVE seen Karthik bat - i don't comment on players i haven't watched. Pray tell o' enlightened one, what makes you think he is good enough to open for India ?
Predator' date=' yeah he made a 70 odd in the England series but at that point England had given up and were out of the game. I dont know how you are confident that Sehwag in his present avatar can be a success in England.[/quote'] I can't understand why people think that Karthik in ANY "avatar" can be a success in England ?