So the Sri Lankan U-Turn

Zap_Brannigan

I dont think there was a rule for this occasion. The only rule that has anything to do with outside boards was that the players should get a NOC from their boards' date=' which the Sri lankan players did till the 22nd (according to Murali). So this is a blatant breaking of contract by the Sri lankan board.[/quote'] Well I am assuming they have an overriding clause which says they can recall their players for any reason for national duty, otherwise yes it is a breach of the NOC they gave to their own players for this season.

I dont think there was a rule for this occasion. The only rule that has anything to do with outside boards was that the players should get a NOC from their boards' date=' which the Sri lankan players did till the 22nd (according to Murali). So this is a blatant breaking of contract by the Sri lankan board.[/quote'] Precisely my point. If they always wanted their players to prepare for the oh-so-important Test series against England, why did they issue the NOCs in the first place?

Because this affects a season MIDWAY. There is a big big difference.
Oh the excuses. It's okay to make ad hoc rule changes because 2 teams had more marketable and performing players, but it's wrong for a board to come to realization that the preparation time they are giving their players for the toughest format of cricket on an away tour is not enough? Anyhow, given the BCCI's clout I am pretty sure Sri Lanka would do an about turn again so all of you would be happy again. Personally, I would prefer a competitive test series in England and would support any move which would help that happen.

Well I am assuming they have an overriding clause which says they can recall their players for any reason for national duty' date=' otherwise yes it is a breach of the NOC they gave to their own players for this season.[/quote'] If there is an overriding clause, don't you think the players will rebel against the board the same way that players from the following countries have- West Indies England New Zealand

I dont understand why SL has such a big issue regarding this. For the past three IPLs' date=' players who have had international commitments have met up to them first. In fact, I believe most of the Aussies and even WI haves missed out big time on IPL in the recent years. SL got to play 3 full IPLs, so whats their issue now with going for their FTP tour?[/quote'] If before the auction Lankan board had said that their players will miss last 4 weeks of IPL, none of their players would have got the kind of prices they got in the auctions. As reported, Lankan govt is miffed with BCCI for not letting the Lankan president meet the players or present the trophy or even some of his jumbo entourage not getting proper treatment during the finals and hence this volte face.

Precisely my point. If they always wanted their players to prepare for the oh-so-important Test series against England' date=' why did they issue the NOCs in the first place?[/quote'] If IPL was going to allow franchises to retain players after 3 years why did they say all players are going to go on auction in the first place?

... but it's wrong for a board to come to realization that the preparation time they are giving their players for the toughest format of cricket on an away tour is not enough?
So the board can wake up and issue the NOC one day and suddenly grow balls the next day, at the cost of betraying its players and their trust, order them back and make it a moral issue? Important questions according to me- 1. The question is, why were the NOCs issued then? 2. How was preparing for the England series not important before and how come it has suddenly become important now?

Oh the excuses. It's okay to make ad hoc rule changes because 2 teams had more marketable and performing players, but it's wrong for a board to come to realization that the preparation time they are giving their players for the toughest format of cricket on an away tour is not enough? Anyhow, given the BCCI's clout I am pretty sure Sri Lanka would do an about turn again so all of you would be happy again. Personally, I would prefer a competitive test series in England and would support any move which would help that happen.
IPL change was not ad hoc. It was initially proposed as a 6 player retention, deliberated by the governing council and voted on. Regarding this SL change of heart, they have a new set of selectors who are trying to stamp their authority. I have no problems with their players leaving mid way, but it is their players who are going to lose out on big $$$ which isn't exactly going to make them happy and be in a good frame of mind to perform in the upcoming tour all because their board suddenly decided they needed more time to prepare.

If IPL was going to allow franchises to retain players after 3 years why did they say all players are going to go on auction in the first place?
What are you talking about, Willis? Are you trying to put it in the "two wrongs make it right" frame? And if the SLC has a spinal cord and all that, why do they take 10% of the revenues from the BCCI?

If IPL was going to allow franchises to retain players after 3 years why did they say all players are going to go on auction in the first place?
That was just a suggestion and the decision was not ratified by the IPL council. http://www.iplpulse.com/ipl/all-players-likely-to-be-part-of-ipl-auction/ According to a proposal mooted by Sunil Gavaskar ahead of IPL player auction, while the franchises will have the option of naming players they want to retain, this would not prevent those players from being put on the auction table. Gavaskar, an IPL governing council member, has written to all IPL captains on July 5 responding to suggestions on player retention and other issues

If there is an overriding clause, don't you think the players will rebel against the board the same way that players from the following countries have- West Indies England New Zealand
Well Murali has already come out in the open and said what SLC is doing is wrong. Active players don't want to take any panga with their board, although I am sure they would want to slap the cr@p out of them.

Well Murali has already come out in the open and said what SLC is doing is wrong. Active players don't want to take any panga with their board' date=' although I am sure they would want to slap the cr@p out of them.[/quote'] Yes. So if the vocal people who want the players always knew they would have to eventually eat the humble pie, why make a joke out of themselves? Or are they trying to throw the "victim" card before the world, like our padosis?

If franchise would have known that they won't be available' date=' I don't think they would have made Sangakarra and Jayasuriya captain.[/quote'] Yep. Really stupid. I know you meant Sanga & Jayawardene. And the franchises invested an awful amount of time and money in their teams, only to see the players being forced to backtrack. No one will buy them again. And SL must learn its lessons by simply looking at how the PCB has been annihilated.

No' date=' I am saying that if you are going to make ad hoc changes, then don't b.itch, moan, and whine when someone else does it too.[/quote'] Eh? But why do you conveniently overlook my question- "If Sri Lanka was very serious about this English trip, why did they allow their players to come for IPL in the first place"?

And SL must learn its lessons by simply looking at how the PCB has been annihilated.
Remember, the IPL needs these boards and it's players too. This league will be total garbage if it was just the Indians playing in it. Guys like ABDV, Malinga, Kallis and Hussey are the ones who make it good. So the IPL needs them as much.

The SL president wasn't treated well and thats a fact. The Pak PM was treated much better, was invited personally and was allowed to meet the players before the match. Why? - All with poltical motives. If pak can be allowed such, SL president def. deserved equal treatment. It just strengthens the arguement that Ind-Pak SF was politically infiuenced in every way