Why Indian kids are the worst behaved

Gambit

Lurker, 16 is too early to start earning to pay for college. That time is better spent studying instead of spending time in low paying McDonalds while parents are getting themselves in credit card debt driving expensive cars and taking exotic vacations. Shwetabh, we are not talking about the cases where parents can't truly afford even after living within their means. I am referring to cases where parents have the money but would only give it to their kid as a loan (possibly because they have raised the kid in a such a way that the kid won't help them back later if needed) or parents whose lifestyle hinges on getting deeper and deeper in CC debt.

Lurker, 16 is too early to start earning to pay for college. That time is better spent studying instead of spending time in low paying McDonalds while parents are getting themselves in credit card debt driving expensive cars and taking exotic vacations.
Yoda thats an extreme situation is it not? Just as extreme as it was for 20 year olds in India going through their degrees at the cost of their Dad's paycheck. I mean come on we have the smartest brains in the country coming through IIT, REC, AIIMS etc etc without EVER worked a day in their life? How is that good my friend? Cricketics has brought about a good point here - dignity of labour. An NRI would be quite comfortable with working at a McDonald's in Houston but heaven forbid if a middle class child would work at McDonald's in Lucknow, even today! And it is not that everyone works at McDonald. A Pakistani kid I know babysits an hour everyday and spend a couple of hours as a helper at local paedatrician. She is planning to pay atleast half of her college fees through such income, and as we speak has her own car (at a good old age of 18) paid entirely through her savings. I have much respect for people like that. xxx

You guys are making it sound as if paying for college education in the US is some kind of a joke. A good college education would end up costing $150k. Some of you might be really rich but most people wont be able to dish out that kind of money over a 4 year period and imagine if you have 2-3 kids going to college at the same time or someone pursuing his MBA or studying to become a doctor or lawyer in which there are hardly any financial aid options available. My brother is doing his undergrad here and despite the fact that he is on a 75% tuition waiver the annual expenses come to around $15k so obviously he tries to contribute in whatever way he can by working on campus. Whats wrong in that?
Swets, i am not talking about the States. I am talking about Canada. Out here, student loans are available to anyone (that is, anyone who is in higher studies and doesnt have a disastrous credit record). I've seen many guys who end up working nearly full-time , plus on loans (because loans cover like 80% of your total costs at best) and flunking out because he literally doesnt have enough time to study. All the while his/her parents are thinking of buying a new Audi when all their son/daughter needed were less than a thousand dollars/month.

Western parents love their kids same as Indian parents. The kind of stuff you g@ndus come out with is amazingly ignorant sometimes :hysterical: There are f@kd up Indian parents and there are f@kd up western parents. In general I do see that Indian parents spoil their kids rotten! Western parents prepare their kids to be independent and ready to face the world. Indian parents on the other hand wrap their kids in cotton wool and suffocate their individuality. Kids in India lack individuality as they all seem to be mass produced from "mammi ka pyara bacha" walli factory :haha: Most Indian men are ****ing spineless I tell ya! Their mums /parents control their life completely even AFTER THEY GET MARRIED :giggle::hysterical: Bloody nightmare for daughter in laws I tell ya. When I see some of my cousins I think what the hell is wrong with their mums (modern families by Indian standard)! Ok crucify me :haha::bootyshake:

I mean come on we have the smartest brains in the country coming through IIT, REC, AIIMS etc etc without EVER worked a day in their life? How is that good my friend?
Having work experience before going to college is not necessary. Having as much knowledge as possible and prefferably good social life is far more important.
And it is not that everyone works at McDonald. A Pakistani kid I know babysits an hour everyday and spend a couple of hours as a helper at local paedatrician. She is planning to pay atleast half of her college fees through such income, and as we speak has her own car (at a good old age of 18) paid entirely through her savings. I have much respect for people like that
Nothing wrong in making a little side income but we are talking about how prevalent it is in the west for parents to not give a penny for their children's education when they can quite easily (by desi standards) spare the money and make their children's lives infinitely easier. Oh and another fact is indisputable - western parents don't give half as much **** whether their children drop out after highschool or not. So long as they are not a burden to feed, its okay. The enshrinement of education is a factor that is far diluter on average in the western household than the desi one.

Swets, i am not talking about the States. I am talking about Canada. Out here, student loans are available to anyone (that is, anyone who is in higher studies and doesnt have a disastrous credit record). I've seen many guys who end up working nearly full-time , plus on loans (because loans cover like 80% of your total costs at best) and flunking out because he literally doesnt have enough time to study. All the while his/her parents are thinking of buying a new Audi when all their son/daughter needed were less than a thousand dollars/month.
Bull crap. I took full loans + worked part time and managed to pass my degree properly and got a job straight away in my chosen field. Stuff like that teaches you the value of earning and looking after your money. My desi friends were spending their parent's money on sharab! I was busy getting up at 5am and cleaning departmental stores. My parents have given me every thing throughout my life so I just wanted to be independent. All I needed to do was call home and in no time they would send me money. I just did not want to do that. There are good Indian and good western parents. India does not have monopoly on good parents or for that matter in anything:broken_heart:

Having work experience before going to college is not necessary. Having as much knowledge as possible and prefferably good social life is far more important.
At what cost? Most of the students that come out of IITs/AIIMS etc are students from lower to middle income group class. Often their parents would give up everything to make sure the kids get through to best education and all. This in effect means that a child is dependent on parents till he is about 20-22. In other words if a man became a dad when he was 25, he has to sacrifice everything till his kid is 22, and he himself is 45-47. And if there are more than 1 kids then you can do the maths. Happens all the time, look around yourself in India. Not only that but even the kid is aware of the sacrifices. One reason why everyone wanted to get into Sarkaari job and make double the income via corruption. I am not suggesting that everyone should work first and then school later but this whole notion of kids being 22 before they start working and being dependent on their parents till then is not a great one.
Oh and another fact is indisputable - western parents don't give half as much **** whether their children drop out after highschool or not. So long as they are not a burden to feed, its okay. The enshrinement of education is a factor that is far diluter on average in the western household than the desi one.
Now that become a cultural thing. It is not that the parents dont care so much as that one does not need to be a Graduate/Post-graduate to become an ace in a Western world. Even dropouts can do rather well for themselves. Places like sports, hip-hop often elaborate that fact. I personally do not agree to it but I see that happen all the time. I once worked with a chap who had no degree but he was one of the smartest database chaps I knew, made a 6 figure salary when he was in early 20s. Even Bill Gates was a drop out(not from high school though). See the point is not the cultural difference thingy, the point is Western parents love their kids in their own ways, just like we do and it is wrong to suggest anything less. xxxx

i once tried to give tution to two kids....for 3 hours a week...for Rs..750 my father did not know this...and when he came to know about this...he told me that he will give me 750 pm...but i need to stop giving tutions.. some how..i think formative (15-21 ) years are best utilized doing studies..sports and other things..than earning money... i am against summer jobs...or part time jobs during studies....only if one can afford.. but if some one can not..then obviously..he or she needs to try and put minimal burden on their parents...

i am against summer jobs...or part time jobs during studies....only if one can afford.. but if some one can not..then obviously..he or she needs to try and put minimal burden on their parents...
I have a difference of opinion there. I think every Indian student should have a summer job. Summer holidays in India are fairly long(about 2 months). If you add winter vacation it comes to about 3 months a year, possibly 100 days. Why waste these 100 days? If I had my way I would make the kids from lower to middle class income group work a fraction of their vacation to ease the burden of their parents. Maybe they wont be able to earn the 50,000 yearly tution but surely they can earn about say 5000-1000 bucks that would be enough to buy them books, or be enough for a couple of months expenses in college, thus allowing their parents the well-needed reprieve. Those kids who do not need the money should volunteer to go to some villages and spend two weeks trying to educate the elderly. I mean come on we have almost 30-40% illiterates in our country, a good solid 300 million plus population. And every year we would perhaps have a million student all over country doing nothing but watching TV. Surely we can put the two together and try something like that? xxx

Abhe Lurker chal daru la :beer_yum: :hysterical::cheers::pepsi:
Daaru nahin apun sharaab laayega. And since you are known veggie I will bring some kebab too..:reddy::reddy: Now if only you can bring some shabab...:love:

If you add winter vacation it comes to about 3 months a year, possibly 100 days. Why waste these 100 days?
Dude, indian kids in school work a thousand times harder than western students. Else they fail and are stuffed. The summer break is very much a 'battery recharge, have fun' time before you are back to the grind. For one, Indian education is so competetive that you CANNOT work part-time and still expect to make it to a good professional degree, unless you are a genius category. Tell me where is the time ? And no, i do not think working in the teenage years is necessary for any experience's sake. It is far more important to be educated, athletic and cultured in your formative years than make money simply for the sake of 'individual freedom'. Anyways, that whole individual freedom idea never flies. Money in our family is relatively collective. If i need something, i ask dad, if bro needs something, he asks me. No records kept unless it is an unusually huge transfer. Money should never be an issue in between relations as far as i am concerned and if a dad can make his son's life infinitely better by digging into his savings a bit, its all round very good. The son obviously pays back their parents in taking care of them. You don't see many indian people abandoning their parents to old people's homes. This is a far more humane approach than being so money-minded IMO.

And what's the deal with making an one year old sleep in a different room? The poor dear won't even know why Mama and papa are huffing and puffing.
Baby crying = mood destroyed in 0.005 seconds. :whatchutalkingabout:top:
Is sex so important?
Yes.

I can't believe some of you here are trying to compare the average Westerner to the elite Indian. Most of us are from elite India. If you want to compare the average Indian compare the upbringing of kids who are forced not to go to school but are made to do jhaadoo, bartan at other people's homes, are made to work in beedi shops. Now that would be a fair comparison of love and upbringing, right?

Dude, indian kids in school work a thousand times harder than western students. Else they fail and are stuffed. The summer break is very much a 'battery recharge, have fun' time before you are back to the grind.
Thats a matter of personal perseption. Me, and most of the friends I knew, would grow tired so long was the summer and winter break. The entire two month vacation ended up as nothing but reading up various comic books in the afternoon, playing cricket in the evening and watching television in the evening. Was great for a week or two but for 8-10 weeks?? Unless you are a kid who absolutely hates going to school/college I would be hard pressed to understand who would enjoy a 8 week's vacation. The only people that actually benefitted from it were the parents and the teachers. No need to get up early for getting kids ready to work and if you are a professor/teacher what better than a 3 month vacation in a year. I still maintain job of an academic is the best in the world(minus the pay of course)
For one, Indian education is so competetive that you CANNOT work part-time and still expect to make it to a good professional degree, unless you are a genius category. Tell me where is the time ?
That only highlights that our education needs a revamp. I saw in another thread how CBSE/ICSE were being compared. To my knowledge in ICSE you have to be prepared if a question is asked from 9 or 10 while in CBSE a 10th exam contains question only from Xth. This obviously makes ICSE harder but whats the stupid point of it in the first place? Isn't it strange that India has absorbed the Western mode of education but has made it so further tough that it is way tougher than what is educated in West today? xxxx

This obviously makes ICSE harder but whats the stupid point of it in the first place?
To make sure that you know your stuff ? duh ?!? You arnt taught just to remember shyte so you can regurgitate in an exam hall. You are taught something coz you NEED to learn it. Its a given that you should know grade 9 stuff inside-out if you are in grade 10 and so on.
That only highlights that our education needs a revamp.
Indian education needs a revamp but not revamped like the states, who's education system is abysmal till masters level. However, the reform isnt so that it can be so low standard that kid has a lot of free time. Understand this - in Indian schooling system (just like any proper schooling system), it is a given that you will come home with homeworks that will take you HOURS to complete.
Isn't it strange that India has absorbed the Western mode of education but has made it so further tough that it is way tougher than what is educated in West today?
Not strange, this is something that is propelling the indian middle class- we are in general, degree-for-degree, better qualified .