Should gurus and babas lead political campaigns?

1983-2011

It is not peaceful when someone says they are going to fast till death. It is almost like demanding a ransom, instead of killing someone else they are saying I am going to kill myself. Also, we all know that most of these guys will never fast till death, it is more of an arm twisting tactic. In either case, it is not the way things should be done. It is illogical for guys who have no experience in a specific area to demand the govt to do specific things as demanded by them in that area with no concern for feasibility and in some cases force themselves into the decision making process. So a peaceful march to eradicate black money is fine with me, a fast until death to bring back black money from overseas accounts is not.

I think Raghav meant posts which said ordinary citizens cannot/should not bring about legislative change, which is also true. You cannot demand legislative change by going on a protest. Only elected representatives can change the constitution. Interested individuals can bring attention to the issue through protests/fasts and elected representatives can then decide whether that individual's desire represents the majority.

Guest Gunner
From where this assumption came that I am interested in debating with you :hmmmm2: Anyways, say one or two meaningful things before jumping on personal attacks. My whole point was that you can't stop anybody from raising the voice just because he/she is not your elected representative.
:hysterical::hysterical::hysterical::hysterical::hysterical::hysterical::hysterical: I have made 60 posts on this thread, so I have said a few meaningful things. Hero how many meaningful things have you said other than the unfounded allegation that people are opposed to democratic protests? :haha::haha:

It is not peaceful when someone says they are going to fast till death. It is almost like demanding a ransom, instead of killing someone else they are saying I am going to kill myself. Also, we all know that most of these guys will never fast till death, it is more of an arm twisting tactic. In either case, it is not the way things should be done. It is illogical for guys who have no experience in a specific area to demand the govt to do specific things as demanded by them in that area with no concern for feasibility and in some cases force themselves into the decision making process. So a peaceful march to eradicate black money is fine with me, a fast until death to bring back black money from overseas accounts is not.
Yes it is. If the issue has no significance, then the government can simply shrug its shoulders and the person will not gather mass support. The government knows that there is a lot of pent up anger in the public about the corruption issue and these movements gather public support because of just that. It is scared these fasts will bring more attention to corruption by UPA (and allies) and cost it votes. We have people who are on hunger strike for 10 years and more, yet the issue they stand for can only be identified by a small section of people and hence doesnt get much limelight. Corruption is something that almost every Indian can identify with.

Seriously I dont give a **** about Ramdev's hidden agenda..Everyone has an agenda either open or covert, for that matter even Anna Hazare has an agenda which is open to debate because some things are just not feasible from a practical point of view from what I hear. I am against the crackdown, because its just not democratic and democracy is the only thing good abt our whole system. If that goes out of the window, then we are fast turning into some Banana republic. Who the **** is Kapil Sibal to tell anyone what they can do and what they cant.. He should stick to Lawyering rather than telling people to stick to their professions and not dabble in Politics. .. We have long tolerated Criminals, Corrupt douchebags, Perverts, family fiefdoms in politics and now they have gone a step ahead by curbing the basic rights that had brought them to power in the first place..Criminals are allowed to hold rallies in the name of Canvassing votes , if those scumbags have a right, so does the normal Indian on the streets.

Seriously I dont give a **** about Ramdev's hidden agenda..Everyone has an agenda either open or covert, for that matter even Anna Hazare has an agenda which is open to debate because some things are just not feasible from a practical point of view from what I hear. I am against the crackdown, because its just not democratic and democracy is the only thing good abt our whole system. If that goes out of the window, then we are fast turning into some Banana republic. Who the **** is Kapil Sibal to tell anyone what they can do and what they cant.. He should stick to Lawyering rather than telling people to stick to their professions and not dabble in Politics. .. We have long tolerated Criminals, Corrupt douchebags, Perverts, family fiefdoms in politics and now they have gone a step ahead by curbing the basic rights that had brought them to power in the first place..Criminals are allowed to hold rallies in the name of Canvassing votes , if those scumbags have a right, so does the normal Indian on the streets.
Pretty well summed up. I agree with you completely.

Good post :nice:

Exactly

:two_thumbs_up:

Top post mate.

Thanks guys ..I guess everyone has the same frustration in them right now. People expect a leader or a messiah to suddenly drop from the sky to lead us to cleanse our nation of these scumbags, Its just wishful thinking. Gunner had pointed it out rightly above. We all have to look for inspiration within ourselves, and most of us have those moments in our life when we feel the need to do something to change the system like when we go abroad and see a whole new world that humans are capable of. Some of these countries dont even have the history and heritage that our great country has.. The Political class has the ammo right now as according to them, its just Anna Hazare and to an extent Baba Ramdev leading the agitation and more importantly the world media is portraying it that way as well. So the political class tries to tarnish them by hook or crook (am not saying Ramdev is a saint) If the agitation realises its full potential of a genuine mass movement across the country, I am sure the politicians will be taught a lesson that they wont dare forget. P.S..Yes, I dont live in India right now, but I care about my country more than some of the so called pure desis do. Someone said " You dont realise the true beauty of Earth unless you step out of it into outer space"..Similarly you dont realise the true potential of our country unless you go abroad...

s6u982.jpg
. HARDWAR: Yoga guru Baba Ramdev on Monday criticised Prime Minister Manmohan Singh, saying he had failed to discharge his duty. He also justified wearing woman's clothes to escape during the police crackdown in Delhi's Ramlila Ground, saying like warrior king Shivaji he too had adopted survival tactics. "I have all the respect for the Prime Minister of the country on a personal level, but he did not discharge his national duty," Ramdev told reporters here a day after Delhi Police acted against him and his supporters during his fast against corruption and forced him back to his ashram here. He justified wearing women's clothes to disguise himself. "I preferred to adopt the survival tactics of warrior king Shivaji and wearing a woman's attire is not a sign of weakness. A woman gives birth to a man and her status is superior," he said. Ramdev also thanked the Supreme Court for its notice to the central and Delhi governments on the developments after Saturday midnight, and said the National Human Rights Commission and the National Commission for Women too should follow suit. "The cognisance taken by Supreme Court on its own against this injustice, we thank (it) from our hearts. The entire country is grateful," Ramdev said. Taking suo motu cognisance of the matter, the apex court Monday asked the central and the Delhi governments to reply to its notices within two weeks. Ramdev said his supporters were planning to move the NHRC and the NCW over the incidents of Saturday midnight in which "atrocities were committed against women and children". He also contradicted Delhi Police's version of events. "The Delhi Police are lying. They beat up people. They said that people were injured in a stampede. None of our workers provoked violence." "If (Mahatma) Gandhi was alive, he would have cried," Ramdev said. He was on Sunday accused by Union human resource development minister Kapil Sibal of being a face of the rightwing Rashtriya Swayamsevak Sangh. But Ramdev said except the Congress, all other political parties "are supporting me and they are supporting me from their hearts. I am getting support from everywhere, including spiritual and religious organisations".
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/india/PM-failed-I-used-Shivajis-tactics-to-survive-Baba-Ramdev/articleshow/8748946.cms So, the thug fled in women's clothes the other night when he disappeared leaving behind his followers to rot. The dhongi baba proved himself to be a coward too in addition to being a big thug. :D

s6u982.jpghttp://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/india/PM-failed-I-used-Shivajis-tactics-to-survive-Baba-Ramdev/articleshow/8748946.cms So, the thug fled in women's clothes the other night when he disappeared leaving behind his followers to rot. The dhongi baba proved himself to be a coward too in addition to being a big thug. :D
Most of us here are not fans of Baba Ramdev, there has been a lot of criticism for him in the past. But in this issue we need to see the cause he is representing. As Anonymous said, when we can tolerate the most vilest of politicians to lead rallies, then why not a baba leading a mass movement to eradicate corruption?

Ramdev the pussy jumped amonst a group of girls to protect himself .The girls were told he wants to bless them personally so they surrounded him. Bloody shameless joker!He was ready to have a stampede rather than face arrest. I don't think we will ever see the likes of Anna Hazare wear womens clothing and hiding amongst women .This guy threw his women followers to the wolves to save his skin.

Anna Hazare is going on fast again on June 8 to protest the midnight crackdown.
I think instead of fasting for ramdev ,they should have attended the Lokpal Bill panel meeting. By not attending the meeting they have only helped people who are against the Lokpal Bill. Anna Hazare is a mature leader and he shouldn't let the likes of Ramdev to distract from their goal. Ramdev was just smarting from the slight of not being made a part of the panel hence he escalated the drama. If only he had kept his demands to anti corruption and not gone into his other demands which ere meant only for eyeball grabbing. Ramdev will be responsible for diverting the nations attention from the Lokpal Bill all because he wasn't given the attention he wanted. He could have easily waited till the end of the month which is the deadline for the initial drafting of Lokpal bill.But the bloody attention *w*h*o**e* that he is couldn't let the Hazare camp finish their job and get the credit.

Beetle no one worships Ramdev and thinks he is great. But the crusade against corruption must contiune and dont fall for the govts smear tactics and smoke screens. Govt trying to divert attention from bigger picture
The Govt is trying to divert attention and this Ramdev clown is doing his best to help them. Don't you think he is trying to outdo Anna Hazare and in his attempt he is diverting the attention away from the great movement started by him.Why couldn't he be a part of the movement and not start a parellel one specially when they are so close to drafting the bill.Isn't his attention seeking tactics harming the movement. He started the movement talking of black money but kept adding demands that are not idemands that can be met by any govt and definitely not in a few days. The govt was on its knees and would have given in writing regarding the black money but this dramebaaz did not want that. He wanted a tamasha to outdo Anna Hazare's movement. He is the real threat to the anti corruption movement.

Yeah ramdev is rubbish etc etc. But he is not an elected politicna and is not in power. So what he personally wants to do is his businness. But the govt are ours and they are not and have not tackled the issue or want to do. Ramdev and others are required to keep pushing the govt and stirring things up. The support Hazare, Ramdev and others are getting is not cos of them but simply that the issue of corruption is wanted to be tackled by the people and we are willing to jump on anyones bandwagon in trying to get something done. All kinds may come out against corruptioin from babas to goats. I will support them all if it means pushing the govt in to doing something. Cos lets get this straight the gove does not want to do anything as all politicians do not want to end the gravy train