Conversion of Sikh Girl in Birmingham Sparks Retaliation

Dhondy

Guest dada_rocks
Basically a lot of people here have reached the conclusion that Abrahamic religions are more prone to fanaticism, and less prone to conversion - and that they will thus, by that logic, eventually take over the world and build the same ugly crap everywhere :) Essentially Dawkin's 'meme' idea. I believed exactly that for a long time - but people might wanna consider the following things: 1). Any ideal can be abused to the same extent, so this isnt really unique to Semetic religion. 2). So what if a religion dies? Humanity always finds a way of going forward. 3). The mass hysteria created by conversions and riots tends to obscure the truth, that really, the world aint gonna change - no religion is declining - they are all growing - and Hinduism, Buddhism, Sikhism, Islam, Christianity, atheism, etc, are pretty much under no threat.
Good-sounding words but alas has no connection with the reality on ground

Is that why so many Indians talk bakwaas about northeasterners and black people? :sad_smile:
Never heard anything to do with blacks in India. North-easterners are just an ignored part of india, not repressed. There is little or no racism in India as racism was an unknown concept before the Brits arrived. Again, there is huge difference between Indians in a western context than indians outside of the west. You can't escape racism in the west- so after experiencing it, some are influenced to accept/propagate it by applying a superiorist angle to themselves while some remain unaffected. I apologise ahead of time but would it be true if i said that most of your interactions are from people in the west under a western umbrella than through visiting or living in different parts of the world ?

Guest dada_rocks
I don't think this story would have been featured on BBC or the existence of this thread for that matter if the Sikh girl converted to Hinduism or Christianity
You are probably right but history is to be blamed for this. Sikhism initially was not even a separate religion it morphed into one in course of time and we all know whaat was the trigger.

There is little or no racism in India
Dude - you seriosuly saying you havent heard all that 'they look wierd' and 'they arnt real Indians' crap about northeasterners? Or the anti-black stuff, like when the Indian embassy in America refused to talk to a black guy? Or just general stupidity from Bollywood stars about Chinese people? Or all the 'white people are decadent' crap? This is why I find this entire thread a joke.

Dude - you seriosuly saying you havent heard all that 'they look wierd' and 'they arnt real Indians' crap about northeasterners?
very rarely.
Or the anti-black stuff, like when the Indian embassy in America refused to talk to a black guy?
One incident ? regardless- i dont see how it reflects on the society.
Or just general stupidity from Bollywood stars about Chinese people?
No racist comment there- he called them slant-eyes. Yes, that is racist to a culture with deeply ingrained racism as Britain but in asiatic context, observing attributes arnt considered racist. So when Indians get called oily skins or chinese as 'slit eyes', it is not a cause of offence unless you are talking about indians/chinese etc. in the western context. Take for eg the word 'pakee' - its super-offensive to Pakistanis in the west, yet every damn pakistani in the middle east i've come across (those with no history in the west) call THEMSELVES 'pakee'. If you ask them why, then they'd tell you its easier to say pakee than pakistani
Or all the 'white people are decadent' crap?
The culture is pretty decadent, yes. People - as with any culture, there is the mainstream and then there are many who are outside mainstream.

Had similar experience Rajeev. Had a great Muslim gf for whom religion always came second best. You mentioned the word soulmate. Don't want to change the track here but what do you think about it? Do you truly believe soulmates happen or is it just a thought? xxxx
At 20, I thought she was a soulmate; perhaps a different story after living under one roof but atleast I would like to think that way I felt that way because even after we broke up ( it was more like " oh coz we are two different religion, so where could this go " ) we couldn't stop dating etc, I was in and out of India a lot in those days and everytime I went back home, we met up and had that same look in our eyes. I am geninely happy for her now

Guest dada_rocks
Zap and Gorah, I sense your unhappiness at my eulogization of Sikhs. Stand by every word I said. They are fierce, proud and a warrior community by descent and upbringing. Look at their history. They never accepted defeat, fought with honour and preferred death to dishonour. They constitute a disproportionately high proportion of the Indian armed forces, yet felt mortally offended by the seige of Golden temple that led to the longest and most dangerous separatist movement in India's history, that was ultimately quelled only by a Sikh. They continue to excel at whatever they do- business, sport, academics, you name it. Pointing that out is racism? Yes, from a people who are the standard bearers of mediocrity fully sixty years after independence, it probably is. How dare the Sikhs forge ahead of the rest of us, not behave like lambs when affronted, and assiduously defend the religion of their forefathers, without trying to spread it through the world like the SARS virus? I agree that the action taken by her family in this case was beyond the pale, but then I don't know how I'd react if my child was led away from me.
well said

very rarely. One incident ? regardless- i dont see how it reflects on the society. No racist comment there- he called them slant-eyes. Yes, that is racist to a culture with deeply ingrained racism as Britain but in asiatic context, observing attributes arnt considered racist. So when Indians get called oily skins or chinese as 'slit eyes', it is not a cause of offence unless you are talking about indians/chinese etc. in the western context. Take for eg the word 'pakee' - its super-offensive to Pakistanis in the west, yet every damn pakistani in the middle east i've come across (those with no history in the west) call THEMSELVES 'pakee'. The culture is pretty decadent, yes. People - as with any culture, there is the mainstream and then there are many who are outside mainstream.
You are kidding yourself man - saying it dosent constitute racism because its India and stuff. Do you know how false that sounds? How much of a lame excuse that is? Are you one of the people who think white women are sluts, etc? I think ill leave this thread alone - because all ive dug up is a load of bigotry.