Urgent Issue: elephant conservation in India

CC1981

It is about time India did something meaningful in protecting this very very important species. We seriously need to do something about protecting it because Indian elephants are an endangered species. Not only are they a keystone animal in conservation scales ( you conserve elephants = you automatically conserve a sh!tload of other plant & animal species due to the enormous range of elephant habitats), they are also one of the most intelligent life-forms on this planet and very much integrable in the human society. Most elephant deaths occur in india due to fam-shootings and habitat-loss. IMO, India should really do something about its irresponsible & extremely high levels of human breeding (facking sad that our culture is so low on adoption and only cares about having their own biological kids) and find a means to compensate farmers for damage done by elephants.It might sound expensive but trust me, it is worth it in the long run. it'd be a sad day when elephants become extinct because in India, it is very much a possibility in my lifetime. Yet another profound ill-effect of the indian society and seriously, India is going to hell in a handbasket. Apart from more $$ thanks to the IT boom, India is continuously deteriorating in everywhich way. More facking people ( and some say they cant stand the type who care more for animals than people- well too much people are the facking root of the problem in India!), more pollution, more forest-loss, more animal species going/gone extinct, lowering soil fertility, etc etc. We in the west rail on China for its reckless policies but India is no worse.

And you want to buy a gun mate :tounge_smile:
So ? I am seriously against hunting (unless you'r literally starving). My guns are just pretty expensive toys i blow some of my paycheques on- its strictly for 'in range use only'. I don't know why owning a gun is automatically associated with hunting...the guy who got me into guns is a 'momma's boy' type music teacher LOL. Surely Ravi, you arn't the steriotyping one ?:wink_smile:

I have few mates that own a gun here. They shoot rabbits, possums and all kind of little animals. Firearm laws here are pretty strict. I remember my mate telling me the cops interviewed his family, neighbours and mates before giving him a licence. Also he had to ensure he didn't smile for the photo for the licence as smiling changes the facial features.

I have few mates that own a gun here. They shoot rabbits, possums and all kind of little animals.
yeah well the things i shoot are made of cardboard or (sometimes) empty beer cans.:tounge_smile:
Firearm laws here are pretty strict. I remember my mate telling me the cops interviewed his family, neighbours and mates before giving him a licence. Also he had to ensure he didn't smile for the photo for the licence as smiling changes the facial features.
Here you *must* take a gun-safety course and pass the test- which is actually pretty tricky to master in just 10 days. We have to posess the ability to disarm a loaded fire-arm without setting it off or breaking any safety protocol ( like pointing the gun at someone/yourself while trying to disarm it etc). We get written test on gun safety regulations and its a 75% pass. We also have to know how to dis-assemble a bolt-action rifle/gun..ie, my WWII model SKS- i should know how to take it apart without killing it. Then they do a criminal background check and if all above criterias met, you get a gun-owner's license. If you don't do this, the only legal way you can fire a gun in Canada is in a range, under full supervision of a gun liscence holder (such as a friend/instructor etc). As i said before, Canada is way more sensible with guns & gun control than states is. :thumbs_up: