F'king Disgusting

EnterTheVoid

So which of the following is incorrect about Mumbai? I am a bit interested in the city. The Good:

• Home of 'Bollywood' (ok for some, you will like to put this in the other category :P)
  • many come to the city with big dreams ( the land of dreams)
  • India's financial city
  • Home of multinational companies
  • melting pot of India
  • a bit modern/freedom ( women can roam around without much teasing)
  • good place for the 'modern lifestyle' i.e clubbing/discos
  • good cricketing culture
The Not so good/Room for Improvement:
  • The most crowded city in the world
  • half of the city's population lives in so called slums
  • very rich and very poor people live in the same place
  • property is very expensive and is a premium even though one may still be struggling to meet daily needs
  • there's not much free land left, hence the rise in property values
  • infrastructure is struggling/lacking to keep up with the population increase
  • the people of the slums live in what one could say in 'very poor condition' or the technical term 'sub-human' i.e housing/facilities
  • the local residents try to wade off the slums issue by saying the people living in the slums are VERY rich but one cannot deny the poor living conditions that they 'choose' to live in. Do the locals in some way take pride in that the people living in the slums are somehow 'rich' and there's nothing wrong with the living conditions there?

[*]the local residents try to wade off the slums issue by saying the people living in the slums are VERY rich but one cannot deny the poor living conditions that they 'choose' to live in. Do the locals in some way take pride in that the people living in the slums are somehow 'rich' and there's nothing wrong with the living conditions there?
This. Yahaan comments parh ke tou yahi lag raha hai :confused:

So which of the following is incorrect about Mumbai? I am a bit interested in the city. The Good:
  • Home of 'Bollywood'
  • India's financial city
  • melting pot of India
  • property is very expensive and is a premium even though one may still be struggling to meet daily needs
  • the people of the slums live in what one could say in 'very poor condition' or the technical term 'sub-human' i.e housing/facilities
  • the local residents try to wade off the slums issue by saying the people living in the slums are VERY rich but one cannot deny the poor living conditions that they 'choose' to live in. Do the locals in some way take pride in that the people living in the slums are somehow 'rich' and there's nothing wrong with the living conditions there?

...there is simply no space, even well to-do live in smaller flats and its not easy to remove slums due to politics as we all know but its the people living there as well. There is a small fishing commuity in a place called danda, right when the posh carter road starts..they have been there since ages and dont want to leave and there is no such qualms of rich v/s poor ..also to clear the notion of slum dweller looking at ambani's monstrosity , they have been seeing this in other locations since the birth of bombay and slums grew as ppl migrated for the city of dreams - they can't afford flats so its not like the avg-well-to-do crushed them

this is johannesburg slums.jpg
arrey bhai, mumbai bare poocha....lol Look I'm not trying to take down Mumbai here. I'm curious about the city and the general views here. I know the first instinct of any resident is to defend his/her city/state/country so I can understand that.

arrey bhai, mumbai bare poocha....lol Look I'm not trying to take down Mumbai here. I'm curious about the city and the general views here. I know the first instinct of any resident is to defend his/her city/state/country so I can understand that.
i know man..i was trying to say that a similar setup exists..the slum situation is a combo of setup, migration, squeeze, location and politics..it can be hard for a non-mumbaikar to grasp it I am stating practical answer, not to defend it as so many things can improve but the system is so twisted and that doesnt stop ppl from living their lives and thus we see a maybach close to slum - u know what i mean

• Home of 'Bollywood'
  • India's financial city
  • melting pot of India

Let me take a stab at this. For the sake of full disclosure Mumbai is my karambhoomi of sorts, since thats where I started my career and in many ways it shaped me. However I am not from Mumbai so for whatever its worth I may be impartial than some, although not completely. Is Mumbai crowded? Yes Is Mumbai overpopulated? Yes Is Mumbai very expensive? Yes. Simply because unlike most cities, Delhi/Chennai/Bangalore etc, Mumbai's gepgraphy is such that it has sea on one side (which is a plus if you ask me but thats for later). It stretches very thinly from South Mumbai to Borivali and beyond and has more width than length. So quite different from say Delhi which can span everywhere in every direction. So space is a premium. It is also the place where merit rules, where people can go about their lives without worrying about law and order (for the most part), women travel late at night without worries (very different to say Delhi), people (in general) mind their own business and do not intefere in others life. It has very little of the Delhi culture - "Abbe jaanta hai hum kahan se hain" kind. It retains aggression in a very professional manner and treads the fine line between professionalism and submissiveness. Do you see poverty aplenty? Of course! Everybody moves to Bombay to create their dreams. Is there any other city that has shown up in as many songs, for example? is there any other city where people migrate without worrying if their would be a language backlash? Will a Mallu move to Calcutta for job? Not very excitedly. Would a Kashmiri move to Hyderabad? Same answer. Will they both move to Bombay? Hell yeah!! Thats Bombay. They say India is summarised by Cricket, Bollywood and Railways. You can add Bombay to the list. xxx PS: And Shiv Sena is most invited to my Chatt celebration in Borivali.:giggle:

Let me take a stab at this. For the sake of full disclosure Mumbai is my karambhoomi of sorts, since thats where I started my career and in many ways it shaped me. However I am not from Mumbai so for whatever its worth I may be impartial than some, although not completely. Is Mumbai crowded? Yes Is Mumbai overpopulated? Yes Is Mumbai very expensive? Yes. Simply because unlike most cities, Delhi/Chennai/Bangalore etc, Mumbai's gepgraphy is such that it has sea on one side (which is a plus if you ask me but thats for later). It stretches very thinly from South Mumbai to Borivali and beyond and has more width than length. So quite different from say Delhi which can span everywhere in every direction. So space is a premium. It is also the place where merit rules, where people can go about their lives without worrying about law and order (for the most part), women travel late at night without worries (very different to say Delhi), people (in general) mind their own business and do not intefere in others life. It has very little of the Delhi culture - "Abbe jaanta hai hum kahan se hain" kind. It retains aggression in a very professional manner and treads the fine line between professionalism and submissiveness. Do you see poverty aplenty? Of course! Everybody moves to Bombay to create their dreams. Is there any other city that has shown up in as many songs, for example? is there any other city where people migrate without worrying if their would be a language backlash? Will a Mallu move to Calcutta for job? Not very excitedly. Would a Kashmiri move to Hyderabad? Same answer. Will they both move to Bombay? Hell yeah!! Thats Bombay. They say India is summarised by Cricket, Bollywood and Railways. You can add Bombay to the list. xxx PS: And Shiv Sena is most invited to my Chatt celebration in Borivali.:giggle:
Nicely done. :two_thumbs_up:

The pic with a luxury car parked alongside slums doesn't mean that the car owner lives there, those slums are barely waist height..and definetely poor living conditions. also why would anyone buy a luxury car without a decent place to live...normaly first preference would be atleast a nice apartment...or is it that land is so damn costly :dontknow: I think it is better to rent a decent place instead of owning a filthy slum with no garage or atleast covered parking for your luxury car :winky:
:hysterical::hysterical::hysterical::hysterical::hysterical: I think this reply just closes my case about how people who haven't been here know jack-sh!t about this place. Let my start first by saying that I did not mean to say that the car belongs to a slum dweller. I was just showing the fact that Mumbai has cars like the Maybach and slums that co-exist. I saw that yesterday on my way to work and took a picture of it. The Maybach costs a cool 5 cr or more. There are only two people who own that car in Mumbai, and both of them also have IPL teams. And talking about parking, and garage..:hysterical: Dude, a garage is an unheard of luxury in mumbai. There is no parking. I have to park my car in the pay and park down the street. Every day, every night. :(( Further down the street there is a 20 storey parking lot.

[*]the local residents try to wade off the slums issue by saying the people living in the slums are VERY rich but one cannot deny the poor living conditions that they 'choose' to live in. Do the locals in some way take pride in that the people living in the slums are somehow 'rich' and there's nothing wrong with the living conditions there?

You guys are misunderstanding. Yes, there are poor people in mumbai, who live in the slums. No denying that. I'm be retarded to deny that. What we are saying is that not everyone who lives in a slum is poor. Giving the example of the office colleague of mine who drives a bike, uses a blackberry and has an lcd tv in his slum, I asked him why doesnt he move to a vashi/juinagar(far off suburbs) and get a proper flat. This is what he told me. 1. Cant stand the commute (he saves an hour each way). Time is money. 2. Waiting for the slum to redevelop. Will make a lot of money that way. 2. He doesnt mind the slum. He's grown up there, so its ok for him. It's more of the convenience of living in mahim vs living in vashi/virar. He's close to town, close to work, close to frnds, etc. Kinda hard to explain, so I will quote a couple of posts from the other thread
The way I see it is that Mumbai is more inward looking , meaning that people don't see "not" having large houses as deterrents to their social status. Its more about whether they live close to a railway station so that they can catch that elusive 7:08 fast local to work or whether there is good & timely domestic help around the area.If it means living in a not so posh area, so be it. Its just a different scale used to measure your living standard , thats all.
This. It's all about convenience and comfort here, which is a good thing when you live in an insanely fast paced city and need great public transport- which is also a huge plus of Mumbai. Pity though that the s***ty municipalwallahs don't give a damn about the state of our roads :(( That's a major concern considering Mumbai pays the maximum taxes and is still treated like crap when it needs to be developed on a civic level.

Is Mumbai crowded? Yes Is Mumbai overpopulated? Yes Is Mumbai very expensive? Yes. Simply because unlike most cities, Delhi/Chennai/Bangalore etc, Mumbai's gepgraphy is such that it has sea on one side (which is a plus if you ask me but thats for later). It stretches very thinly from South Mumbai to Borivali and beyond and has more width than length. So quite different from say Delhi which can span everywhere in every direction. So space is a premium.
Mumbai is actually almost in the shape of a V. Mumbaicitydistricts.png

Guest Gunner
That's why I left that S H I T H O L E ( I luv my country but politicians effed it up )' date=' ....thank GOD...I don't need to put with that crappy corruption & my own countrymen treating me like dirt in GOVT offices even after paying my taxes :(([/quote'] +1 I was talking to an old school friend yesterday who owns an estate in the south. He was recently trying to get a bank loan to develop his property and the story he told me was painful and sickening. This is a well to do guy and if he has to suffer so much imagine the rest. It's all going downhill here.

That's why I left that S H I T H O L E ( I luv my country but politicians effed it up )' date=' ....thank GOD...I don't need to put with that crappy corruption & my own countrymen treating me like dirt in GOVT offices even after paying my taxes :(([/quote'] Let the door not hit you on the way out. :bye::bye::bye: There are quite a few Indians, including a few on this MB, who have not taken the opposite route. That of spending time in the West and moving back to India when they had the option of staying abroad. You may want to listen to them sometimes. By the by when did this whole thread become everything under the bashing thread? From BCCI to Ambani to Mumbai and now India?? Dude if you wanna justify your palayan why take it out on a MB? xxx

The real world is far more cruel than the internet where anonymity lets you make statements you would could never get away with. On the internet you can get away with all sort of racist, hate mongering, and offensive comments, try doing the same thing in a professional scenario and see the kind of backlash you get. Quite a few people who take extreme positions on the internet do so for the lack of conviction of doing the same thing in the real world.

Thats all fine ... but I want to see what happens when the boot is on the throat of some of the mai-baaps here ... shameless morons will use their mod powers to sort out matters.
Well, obviously, as in real world also - bullies never like getting bullied ;). Most of the times they have been at one end of the spectrum, and naturally you can't expect them to 'behave' when caught at other end. Even people in power are inherently insecure from inside, that is why they take extra effort to reach at top or fake it and like staying there. Its natural. I must re-post this. PYmv3.gif