Offered with no comments

Brainfade

K_R..if a muslim woman faces some family problem ..she goes to a mulla..( muslim personal board).and not to a court... in india...if a woman faces some family problem..she goes to a police station..and registers an FIR... for muslims their life is governed by quran and mullas...and they are their last hope...(at least they project it like this) therefore..it is imperative that the reference material should be updated to give some more rights to muslim women.. whereas..no court in india follows Geeta or ramayan..or Guru Grath Sahib or Bible..to give its orders...

K_R..if a muslim woman faces some family problem ..she goes to a mulla..( muslim personal board).and not to a court... in india...if a woman faces some family problem..she goes to a police station..and registers an FIR... for muslims their life is governed by quran and mullas...and they are their last hope...(at least they project it like this) therefore..it is imperative that the reference material should be updated to give some more rights to muslim women.. whereas..no court in india follows Geeta or ramayan..or Guru Grath Sahib or Bible..to give its orders...
I see your point. But some of the most backward customs like Sati , banning widow remarriage,child marriage, caste system etc have all been implemented in the name of religious practice. Women are still being discriminated against based some obscure belief which stems from religion.So , how can we ignore that ?

I see your point. But some of the most backward customs like Sati ' date=' banning widow remarriage,child marriage, caste system etc have all been implemented in the name of religious practice. Women are still being discriminated against based some obscure belief which stems from religion.So , how can we ignore that ?[/quote'] Actually , its not so much Hinduism's fault that these things actually existed in it. Besides , Sati has been banned and rarely happens nowadays . And i know of so many hindu women who have re-married after losing their spouse. The society has made hugr strides in emancipating women , but its a certain class of people steeped in old beliefs and traditions which they dont want to let go , who spoil the name of the religion.

The society has made hugr strides in emancipating women ' date=' but its a [b']certain class of people steeped in old beliefs and traditions which they dont want to let go , who spoil the name of the religion.
Then shouldn't the same reasoning be applied to Islamic countries ?

its the education..which can eradicate most of the social evils...which are prevalent in india.. a lower caste family..whose children got good education..and are doing good jobs and earn sufficiently will not be treated badly by the so called upper caste people of the village.. child marriage happens in some obscure villages...not in even towns...and it is illegal if it happens...you know the law... and don't we see ads in matrimonial.. for second marriage/widow marriage...

Then shouldn't the same reasoning be applied to Islamic countries ?
Absolutely ! Why does any discussion involving religion ALWAYS go in the lines Hinduism Vs Islam ? It need not be the case. Lets debate the relative merits and de-merits of a religion in its induviduality, not in comparison with some other religion.

Absolutely ! Why does any discussion involving religion ALWAYS go in the lines Hinduism Vs Islam ? It need not be the case. Lets debate the relative merits and de-merits of a religion in its induviduality, not in comparison with some other religion.
Maris , with all due respect you are relatively new. You should see some of the earlier posts way back which used to be nothing but one sided criticism of Islam only. My posts are a rebuttal to those who claim all is fine and dandy with our religion and blaming only Islam for all the ills of the world. Their has to be a balance in my opinion.

Maris ' date=' with all due respect you are relatively new. You should see some of the earlier posts way back which used to be nothing but one sided criticism of Islam only. My posts are a rebuttal to those who claim all is fine and dandy with our religion and blaming only Islam for all the ills of the world. Their has to be a balance in my opinion.[/quote'] KR , i am new , I accept. I may have not been privy to all of the discussions that have taken place reg religion and hence , might be unaware of the way in which those discussions transpired. But , I still stick with what i said about discussing the merits/de-merits of a religion in its induviduality and not always going in the this Vs That path. Only if we make an independent objective assesment of our house, will we make true progress in improving it. We cant model our house based on how the neighbour does it. That is my whole point. Is that wrong ?

As in ?
As in whether its a problem with Hinduism, Castesism, Sexism etc etc. Fine, I understand to solve a problem one needs to understand its origins but the way religion and culture intermingle in a society its a pretty futile venture after a certain point to classify a problem.

KR , i am new , I accept. I may have not been privy to all of the discussions that have taken place reg religion and hence , might be unaware of the way in which those discussions transpired. But , I still stick with what i said about discussing the merits/de-merits of a religion in its induviduality and not always going in the this Vs That path. Only if we make an independent objective assesment of our house, will we make true progress in improving it. We cant model our house based on how the neighbour does it. That is my whole point. Is that wrong ?
Agreed We cant model our house based on how the neighbour does it. But the same time people in glass houses should NOT cast the first stone. Some posters here are quick to point out all the ills of Islam and it's treatment towards women completely ignoring the fact that roughly 70% Indian population live in rural India wherein our track record is slightly better but no way comparable with the West when it comes to women's rights.

Agreed We cant model our house based on how the neighbour does it. But the same time people in glass houses should NOT cast the first stone. Some posters here are quick to point out all the ills of Islam and it's treatment towards women completely ignoring the fact that roughly 70% Indian population live in rural India wherein our track record is slightly better but no way comparable with the West when it comes to women's rights.
Well , if that were the case , we need to ask their opinions on some of these issues. If their answer is in equally harsh/praiseworthy terms, then we shouldnt be having a problem with that. However, if they do fail to do that , then its obvious they have religious/regionel bias .

As in whether its a problem with Hinduism' date=' Castesism, Sexism etc etc. Fine, I understand to solve a problem one needs to understand its origins but the way religion and culture intermingle in a society its a pretty futile venture after a certain point to classify a problem.[/quote'] So true. Many issues that we label religious , are actually cultural ones which have absolutely nothing to do with the religion or what it preaches. I guess one can never separate religion and culture, since both are influenced so much by the other in the way they evolve.

it is an old age home. big deal. there are several in the US. btw the old age homes in the US are running out of space and people soon have to be "relocated" or start retiring in homes away from the US in countries like mexico. that to me is a worse problem.