Finance/Investment Discussions

CC1981

if you have an IRA account with any company like Fidelity' date=' Vanguard etc, is it good to open the trading account with them?[/quote'] check my post regarding opening brokerage accounts... u need to have low commissions if u are beginning investor... otherwise, the commission take a significant portion of ur profits.... wen u look at a commission value, many overlook the fact, tht they need to double the amount, cos a real profit involves a buy and a sell and both carry commission... go for a cheap or a 0 cost one like zecco or interactivebrokers.com.... the second one is offered in canada too... DR, u listening??

Bumps, Gator, et al How much time do you guys spend researching, making decisions etc? I really don't have a lot of free time these days with my freelancing activities and have dabbled here and there with mutual funds for a couple of years, but these days i find it almost impossible to dedicate enough time to learn the art of trading. I don't hold any stocks or shares, but was thinking maybe i should get a broker, what do you think?

Bumps, Gator, et al How much time do you guys spend researching, making decisions etc? I really don't have a lot of free time these days with my freelancing activities and have dabbled here and there with mutual funds for a couple of years, but these days i find it almost impossible to dedicate enough time to learn the art of trading. I don't hold any stocks or shares, but was thinking maybe i should get a broker, what do you think?
you can hire urself an investment advisor if u have significant change.... i mean like 200 grand and above... otherwise, it will not make financial sense... I spend on an average 1.5/2 hours a day in research.... obviously trading activity time will be very negligible... again those 2 hours are jus on an average... somedays, it can be just 30 mins and on other days prolly more.... I need to compulsorily spend 30 mins before going to sleep... since i live on the west-coast, the market would have opened by the time i wake up, hence some preparation... and as soon as u wake up, u need to give 15 min glance through the market and how ur portfolio is performing... and then, it is upto u to spend as much time as u want... so i would say, at the minimum, u need 45 mins total... and more than tht, is upto u...

they are insured.... tht is as reliable as it can get.. and i know a few who have used zecco and interactivebrokers... they seem pretty happy with it... some prefer either over other... they pay less interest on ur money market though.. that is understandable because of the low or no commissions.... but then, u dont choose a brokerage account based on the interest they pay u for idle money...

for mutual funds, u dont shop based on commission rates because those are one time costs, hopefully.... other than tht, wat u look for, is the offerings by each broker.... unlike stocks, not all brokers offer all funds.... zone in on the funds u r interested in, and then look to find, if the broker u would choose carries them....

gator, i have been doing some pre-earnings straddles as well with some good success. http://optionslam.com has some useful free straddle info. i typically go to earnings.com, check out upcoming earnings, see the chart movement prior earnings period and then look at what-if scenario for reasonably inexpensive straddles and buy if it will be profitable with a few point move. it is a time consuming process for me.

Guest dada_rocks

another point while buying mutual funds: Don't buy it just before dividend payout.. veterans here might have to say sthg over this.

Guest dada_rocks

Not only that but also because u hardly get anything in terms of dividend but the value of your share goes down just like it goes for the rest

Great call their Prof. Analysts are predicting iPhone sales will fetch Apple $15B in just 2-3 years (Apple took 29 years to reach $15B in revenue' date=' which iPhone will supposedly generate in 2 years)[/quote'] This is a bit old , but still... AT&T iPhone Sales Disappoint Apple Investors Apple is scheduled to release iPhone sales on Wednesday as part of its quarterly earnings report. By Antone Gonsalves InformationWeek July 25, 2007 12:51 PM Apple stock recovered a bit Wednesday after dropping more than 6% on disappointing sales of iPhones by AT&T(T). The exclusive U.S. wirelessmag-glass_10x10.gif carrier of the device reported Tuesday in its second-quarter earnings that it had activated 146,000 iPhones in the first two days it was on sale. AT&T recognizes sales of mobile phones at the time of activation. While the sales number would have been outstanding for any other mobile phonemag-glass_10x10.gif, Apple investors had expected more from the overly hyped device. Apple stock on Tuesday fell $8.81, or 6.1%, to $134.89 on the Nasdaq. By midday Wednesday, the stock was up roughly 1%, or $1.35. Investors apparently expected more from the iPhone based on reports during the first weekend it was on sale. Apple launched the combination mobile phone/media player/handheld computer on Friday June 29. Goldman Sachs had estimated sales of 700,000 units that weekend, and some Web sites posted rumors of 1 million phones sold. While some predictions were over-the-top, AT&T Chairman and Chief Executive Randall Stephenson said sales of the iPhone were strong in July. "Our launch with Apple of the breakthrough iPhone has quickly redefined customer expectations for their wireless experience," he said in a statement. "Mobility is a major growth engine for AT&T." Apple is scheduled to release iPhone sales on Wednesday as part of its quarterly earnings report. The number is expected to differ from AT&T's, because Apple recognizes revenue when the product is shipped. Apple has set a goal of selling 10 million iPhones during the first 12 months. http://www.informationweek.com/news/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=201201087 I thought it was about time this thread was revived.

it is old cos Jobs had slashed the iphone cost by $200 after tht.... it is a strategy shift from margin to volume sales.... Apple stocks fell after tht, cos he announced a 100 bucks credit.... in my opinion, iphone is all set to rocket come november/december.... those months are the highest volume for cell phone sales...

Looks like you have been reading a lot since then :D
Been following lotsa news actually ! :D US reduces 2008 growth forecast The White House has lowered its 2008 economic growth forecasts because of ongoing problems in the housing and credit markets, and high oil prices. It cut its forecast for next year to 2.7% from the 3.1% target made in June.This echoes analysts' views that the US economy, which was in good shape, has yet to feel the full impact of the credit squeeze that hit in the summer. Other data, showing a rise in jobless claims and a softening housing market, has added to the negative outlook. Decline Figures from the Commerce Department showed that average prices paid for new homes had fallen in October, though sales increased. The median sales price for a new home slid 8.6% to $217,800 compared with September, according to the Department of Commerce. Sales of new homes rose to an annual rate of 728,000 from September's figure of 716,000.But the figure had only risen because September's figure had been revised so far downwards, analysts said."They technically went up, but don't be fooled - we've had a net revision of 74,000 over the last few months," said Adam York of Wachovia Economics."The overall picture is that housing is still going to decline at least for the rest of this year. We would not be willing to call September the bottom," he said. Retailers One of the areas expected to be hit in the months to come is consumer spending, a fear that was underlined by the latest figures from the department store chain Sears. The company said that its net income fell to $2m (£970,000) for the three months to 3 November from $196m in the same period last year. Sears blamed the decline on increased competition, the housing market, the credit crunch and unseasonably warm weather, which hit clothing sales. It also had to mark down the value of its stock.Sears shares were 16% lower in afternoon trading. Other data released Thursday showed that the pace of economic growth had quickened between July and September, further showing that it is taking time for the credit squeeze to filter through. The Department of Commerce updated gross domestic product (GDP) data showed growth of 4.9% over three months, compared with an earlier estimate of 3.9%. It put the improvement down to strong exports and businesses buying stock. The rate of growth was the fastest for four years, but it is not expected to be repeated in the current quarter.This was echoed by the White House report which also revised its 2007 overall growth forecast to 2.7% from 2.3%. ----------- http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/7119104.stm