Finance/Investment Discussions

CC1981

Lurker.. you have mechanical degree and now you are in datawarehousing area?? intresting.. I am in more or less the same field.. I deal with informatica, epiphany, ibase type of tools too.. but now I am thinking of doing Masters in a field while working.. not sure though any advise, what field i should choose?? (btw i did BBA in finance and MIS)..
Yep Veer. I did Mechanical Engineering, got a job in TELCO during campus interview and walked away smilingly singing, "Dont wanna be another brick in the wall". Did not particularly appreciate a 9-6 job. Today of course I work 9-9 go figure!! Go for MIS. Informatica is a really HOT thing right now. If you play your cards well you can make good money. But what is more interesting is that with DW you get a chance to interact with Corporate bigwigs, since it is all part of Decision Support. I am supposing Epiphany is a Business Intellgence tool which would mean you have already started to interact with some senior staff and also understand business. If you build on this and then get a MIS degree great things can happen to you down the line. Look at it this way. Tomorrow(after the degree) you join in a company as a Manager(and not a technical person). The high visible projects would be SAP, DW etc. You already would have a leg-in in DW so you can really score on that ground. From my personal experience I have seen many people gain from it. xxx

Yep Veer. I did Mechanical Engineering, got a job in TELCO during campus interview and walked away smilingly singing, "Dont wanna be another brick in the wall". Did not particularly appreciate a 9-6 job. Today of course I work 9-9 go figure!! Go for MIS. Informatica is a really HOT thing right now. If you play your cards well you can make good money. But what is more interesting is that with DW you get a chance to interact with Corporate bigwigs, since it is all part of Decision Support. I am supposing Epiphany is a Business Intellgence tool which would mean you have already started to interact with some senior staff and also understand business. If you build on this and then get a MIS degree great things can happen to you down the line. Look at it this way. Tomorrow(after the degree) you join in a company as a Manager(and not a technical person). The high visible projects would be SAP, DW etc. You already would have a leg-in in DW so you can really score on that ground. From my personal experience I have seen many people gain from it. xxx
Thanks for these tips Lurker.. yup I am leaning towards doing MS-MIS too instead of just MBA.. i am currently working as data analyst..but need to move on from there once I get this degree..

Thanks for these tips Lurker.. yup I am leaning towards doing MS-MIS too instead of just MBA.. i am currently working as data analyst..but need to move on from there once I get this degree..
Actually Veer , if you are experienced enough and have the financial wherewithal to a MBA degree , i say go for it. The average salaries are HIGHEST for MBA grads , and not MIS grads. And an MBA degree always has its charm. You can always show-case your technical expertise in something even if you have an MBA degree, butt simply an MIS degree wouldnt help you cut much ice with the senior management as far as policy decisions are concerned. Lurks , as some one who has been in the industry for so long, whats your take on this ?

Some more stock tips other than AAPL. SNDK (San disk) - I believe all bad news is over of this stock. NAND prices have improved. Its at 53 now (I bought it yesterday at 51.70). I expect this to be trading between 70-80 in 6 months NVDA (NVidia) - Another great company. 45 dollar stock today. Will hit 60 by year end

Some more stock tips other than AAPL. SNDK (San disk) - I believe all bad news is over of this stock. NAND prices have improved. Its at 53 now (I bought it yesterday at 51.70). I expect this to be trading between 70-80 in 6 months NVDA (NVidia) - Another great company. 45 dollar stock today. Will hit 60 by year end
Interesting .. you say that !. In fact Analyst Sumit Dhanda from Banc of America Securities has a similar sentiment. I have followed this analyst before. He analyzes chip industry a lot.

Guest dada_rocks

As at: June 30, 2007 Top Holdings

1. Petróleo Brasileiro SA, ADR
  2. Cash & Cash Equivalents
  3. Cemex SA de CV, ADR
  4. AES Tiete SA, Preferred
  5. Companhia Energetica de Minas Gerais, Preferred

So how does this south american mutual fund portfolio sound to u veterans in terms of holding.

^^ Sounds good, if you have a good solid extra cash lying around. The best returns today are in International shares, its no secret really. Specially in BARC countries. However there is a lot of risk too. If you are willing to take the risk jump on the bandwagon else play it safe for starters. By the way here is a tip DR. The dollar is diminishing and continues to diminish, against rupee. If you want to save some cash hold on to it for now and send it around November time. The dollar might go around 42, right now it is around 40. Just some currency speculation I heard from a friend who deals in Currency Market. Of course dont hold my feet to fire if it doesnt work that way :wink_smile:

Guest dada_rocks

Bahut bari samsya hai ye exhcnage rate in international share dealings. I am going to hold on to it then.. rest assured u will be blamed if it doesn't work that way.:cantstop:

KR, My portfolio is a collection of mutuals, mix of stocks, but mainly mid-cap, and ETFs.... I trade quite actively, in the sense, I make around 20 trades a month... i dont try to constrain myself into any particular sector or cap... But generally, I stay away from retail sector more due to low confidence in my judgement on tht sector....

Guest dada_rocks

So GATOR u are in indian stocks, wud love some tips don;t mind being waiter:giggle: butroo :hysterical: sound of this word feels so dear.... we have very bad custom though lurker butroo's employed in dhabas.......nothing funny about that part.

Guest dada_rocks
KR, My portfolio is a collection of mutuals, mix of stocks, but mainly mid-cap, and ETFs.... I trade quite actively, in the sense, I make around 20 trades a month... i dont try to constrain myself into any particular sector or cap... But generally, I stay away from retail sector more due to low confidence in my judgement on tht sector....
20 trades per month so what's the basis of this much trading, u must see sthg right.. Main to sonch raha tha kisi mutual fund mein daal ke fir so jao lambe samay ke liye that way ur probability of netting better return is more.

Guest dada_rocks

Another question : when u look at mutual fund do u see its total holding in dollar terms. If u see then which number is better smaller, medium, or bigger.

20 trades per month so what's the basis of this much trading, u must see sthg right.. Main to sonch raha tha kisi mutual fund mein daal ke fir so jao lambe samay ke liye that way ur probability of netting better return is more.
DR... historically, the stock market or for tht matter, any stock, never climbs in a straight line... A nice growing stock will always go up by 5%, climb down by 2%, then go up by 5% and so on... one way, people do is, put the money on the stock and ride the ups and downs and get an overall profit, if it is a good stock... What I prefer to do is, get in on the ups and get out before the downs.... obviously, u will miss out on some ups, but u will miss some bigger downs too... Usually, the profit is far more.... but it requires a proportionate amount of time spent tracking it and the macro factors too... it is like any other job... once u get the pulse for this, it will be standard routine in your day...

Thanks.

Guest dada_rocks
DR... historically, the stock market or for tht matter, any stock, never climbs in a straight line... A nice growing stock will always go up by 5%, climb down by 2%, then go up by 5% and so on... one way, people do is, put the money on the stock and ride the ups and downs and get an overall profit, if it is a good stock... What I prefer to do is, get in on the ups and get out before the downs.... obviously, u will miss out on some ups, but u will miss some bigger downs too... Usually, the profit is far more.... but it requires a proportionate amount of time spent tracking it and the macro factors too... it is like any other job... once u get the pulse for this, it will be standard routine in your day...
In mutual funds u don't decide these trades, right? Or even here one keeps hoping from one type of offer to another based on their showings. Correct me if I am wrong.