Finance/Investment Discussions

CC1981

So what does a guy with a small amount of outside-of-401K investment do ? Put a good part of it into bonds or into "recession proof" industry stocks (and what might they be ? )
Well, stock investments are for the long haul. So, dont pull everything out of it. Some portion (and maybe an increased portion temporarily) can go into bonds. Supposedly industries like Healthcare, Pharma, Food will weather the 'R' stormy times better. Oil is hot now but too hot. Oil & Energy related have done very well.
and give some to the needy as well :((
You are not one of those, right? :D

Guest dada_rocks
The guy is in his early 20's and makes 50-60K. If he works hard and makes wise decisions in life he's going to be a millionaire by age 40. I hope you are already a millionaire to make fun of him since you have crossed 40.
That guys is chhichhoa basically he starts this salary comparison like a village-idiot so any kind of potshot is fiine

thats $25/hr more than what you would get for your IQ level ..... :hysterical:
Whatever my IQ level is, it is obviously enough to school you repeatedly, enough so that you only get your routine two fellow hinduvta takers ( Dada_rocks and sandtest). :haha::haha: PS: Still smarting from your lesson in statistics, eh champ ? Pffffft. Afterall, you boasted about holding a degree in Engineering, in mathematics AND in compsci and having a wife and watching cricket 'all your life'. Who compares to that kind of a resume, right, boss ? :hysterical::hysterical::hysterical:

Guest dada_rocks

Apo CC ka GPL kosher hai kisi bhi thread mein maine.. bahuit chhichhore dekhe hain apr ye ultimate chhichhora hai.. kabhi resume match karata hai kabhi kahega tum kitan kamate ho main jyada kamata hun.. sala 10th mein bhi is tarah ke chhichhorepan nahin dekha hai maine... Waise APO I cud not get reliance IPO .. Mera sala ( Jodu ka bhai) akdam se nikamma hai late kar diya paper work mein

Apo CC ka GPL kosher hai kisi bhi thread mein maine.. bahuit chhichhore dekhe hain apr ye ultimate chhichhora hai.. kabhi resume match karata hai kabhi kahega tum kitan kamate ho main jyada kamata hun.. sala 10th mein bhi is tarah ke chhichhorepan nahin dekha hai maine...
abe tum log kisi ki itni maar lete ho ki woh gayab hi ho jaata hai... dheere dheere maarna sikhiye :cantstop:
Waise APO I cud not get reliance IPO .. Mera sala ( Jodu ka bhai) akdam se nikamma hai late kar diya paper work mein
I was talking about reliance with my dad yesterday. He was also saying it is difficult to get because of so much publicity it is having.

do you have dreams in which you post on MB's in which you are the hero ... what a sad fack
No, just pointing out a pattern to you- when was the last time anyone agreed with your OT comments apart from DR and Sandtest, both utter hinduvta fanatics like yourself ?
where you habded Demorgan a theorem that he didnt write ....
No, where i quoted a corollary of his theorem- which you were too stupid and incompetent to understand. But then again, i am not the bakwaasi going around claiming 4 degrees on this board. :haha::haha: Anyways, i am ending this mindless chatter from you on this thread coz this is actually a pretty good thread with a lot of interesting info in it.

Whats the relationship between.... Mortgage Rates and Fed Funds rate... I believe ARMs go down when Fed Funds rates are cut, but fixed mortgages can go up in opposite direction (actually fixed rates dont have as much connection to fed rates, like ARMs do)... Is this roughly correct? Where is Apo when I need info :D

Some more as I look at it: Does Fed Funds Rate Affect Mortgage Rates? Posted by Noah Rosenblatt on May 24, 2007 at 10.16 AM A: The short answer: NO. For a more accurate near term predictor of mortgage rates look to the 10YR treasury note. I discuss this often here for those that need to make a decision in the very near term; i.e. days or weeks. Based on the trend of the 10YR bond yield (that's the percentage yield NOT the bond price), chances are mortgage rates will follow shortly thereafter. Here's a great chart I just came by showing you this relationship. Thanks to HSH Associates Library of Mortgage Information: This graph contrasts the movements of the weekly average Federal Funds rate against the movements of the weekly 10-year Treasury Constant Maturity and those of the average 30-year fixed rate mortgage and 5/1 Hybrid ARM. It covers the period from April 2004 through April 2007. Does the Federal Funds Rate Affect Mortgage Rates? The short answer: No. Conclusion - Look very carefully how the Red & Green lines closely follow the Blue line at a very slight lag. This lag is days but tells you that if you get acquainted with following the bond market and why bonds move one way or another, you'll soon grasp the concept of the relationship between 10YR yields and mortgage rates. Come time for you to buy a home, you'll have a general understanding of whether you should lock in a rate NOW, or wait a few weeks. Fine tune your observation and knowledge of what affects the bond market; economic growth, jobs, inflation, expectations and risk, etc. The key is to understand on what occasions a slight move in the 10YR yield will turn into a sustainable trend. That way, you have a good idea of whether its a blip or a sustainable trend to make a decision on. On may 17th, the jobs data came in much better than expectations signaling a strong labor market; a good sign the US economy is holding its own. This is a situation where yields will trend higher until a situation arises to disprove the last jobs report. As I discussed on May 17th in my post titled "10YR Surges: Mortgage Rates Next" - The 10YR bond yield has been making higher lows and now higher highs for the past 10 weeks or so, which should hit the mortgage market next week. In fact, I would expect lending rates to already have popped a bit on the latest jobs report. Earlier in the day I commented on the jobs data in my post, "Jobs Market Strong! Rates Heading Higher" - Wow, this certainly was a surprising jobs report! Jobless Claims fell to the lowest level in 4 months, surprising wall street analysts. The yield on the 10YR surged to 4.74% from 4.7% on this report which will certainly have an effect on lending rates in the near term. Expect mortgage rates to trickle higher as longs as the US economy remains strong. Finally, here is a chart of New York mortgage rates over the past 4 weeks pointing out when the 10YR bond yield started to surge after the jobs report; savvy buyers recently in contract or very close to being in contract would have locked in their loan rate immediately:

Mortgage Rates Not Related to the Federal Funds Rate By Shailesh Ghimire, September 25, 2007 at 2:36 pm There is a lot of confusion regarding interest rates. I received a few e-mails and some phone calls asking if it was now a good time to buy real estate since the Fed cut interest rates. I replied that the Fed rate doesn’t affect home mortgage rates. The two are completely different animals. In fact this week home mortgage rates went up after last weeks rate cut. To make my point I have plotted the 30 year mortgage rate and the federal funds rate on the same graph. (Red = Federal Funds Rate, Blue = 30 Y Mortgage Rate) http://www.azmortgageguru.com/mortgage-rates-not-related-to-the-federal-funds-rate/ The only way the federal funds rate affects home mortgage rates is via the general economy. There is no one-to-one effect, neither is there an implied effect. Any effect you may see on this graph is the result of economic factors rippling through the market as the Fed changes the federal funds rate. As you can see (on graph) there is no direct relationship. It’s not like you can increase one and the other automatically goes up or down. In the early 1970s there is a lot of back and forth movement. You may say that recently there is more of a relationship, but if you were to dig deeper you would see that no statistical relationship exists. We may see some kind of broad pattern but that is a function of overall economic conditions (which effects both rates) than the federal funds rate directly influencing home mortgage rates. Just so you are aware, home mortgage rates are determined by Mortgage Backed Securities.

(Fortune) -- Yahoo plans to reject Microsoft's $44.6 billion takeover bid, the Wall Street Journal reported Saturday, citing a person familiar with the situation. The source, according to the paper, said Yahoo's board believes Microsoft's offer of $31 per share "massively undervalues" the company and does not account for the risk that a deal could be blocked by regulators. The source also said that the company is unlikely to consider any offer below $40 per share, according to the paper. Such a premium would increase the value of the takeover offer by $12 billion. Microsoft would not comment to Fortune on the report. On Feb. 1, Microsoft (MSFT, Fortune 500) made an unsolicited $44.6 billion cash and stock bid for Yahoo (YHOO, Fortune 500). The bid represented a 62% premium over Yahoo stock price one day earlier. A Microsoft-Yahoo combination would create a powerful number two player in the online search business, which Google commands. It would also be one of the biggest tech deals in years, on a par with Hewlett-Packard's $25 billion acquisition of Compaq in 2002. Both Microsoft and Yahoo have fallen far behind Google in the lucrative field of Internet search. Yahoo's earnings and share of the online search market have badly trailed Google. Google reigns over 58.4% of the U.S. search market, while Yahoo has 22.9% and Microsoft's share is just 9.8%, according to comScore. The combined forces of Microsoft and Yahoo would also make a stronger force in online display advertising - the type of targeted banner ads that Yahoo is known for. Soon after the bid was announced, Google (GOOG, Fortune 500) issued a statement against the deal, saying in a letter that the combination would pose significant competitiveness issues. At issue: The "overwhelming share of instant messaging and web e-mail accounts." Microsoft shares have lost 12% since Jan. 31, closing Friday at $28.56. Yahoo shares have gained 52%, to $29.20. If Yahoo does dig in its heels, the question will be whether Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer has the stomach to pursue a hostile takeover of Yahoo, a move that would likely involve a drawn out campaign to oust the Internet pioneer's board.