Finance/Investment Discussions

CC1981

BTW, for anyone who trades actively, TSRA is a good buy @ around $20. They were trading at around the $40-$50 range till a few months back when a patent lawsuit saw them go down. The courts have ruled in their favor and they are expected to go back up to at least what they were at a few months back. Disclaimer : Although, I have put in some money in the stock don't come crying to me if it bombs.

yeah the ones by Fidelity... confusing options for my IRA :hmmmm2:
I have vanguard target funds for IRA. It consists of no load low cost index funds. Last time I checked, Fidelity had some actively managed funds in their Freedom series. I absolutely hate actively managed funds. Academic research shows that over the long run, they have not beaten Index funds.

can f1 students invest? and if yes, how do they go about doing it? thanks :-]
Yes F1 students can invest. I opened my IRA when I was on F1. Just go to any brokerage firm (scottrade, charles schwab, TDAmeritrade etc) if you want to trade stocks. If you want to open IRA and cannot afford Vanguard/Fidelity for their $3000 initial investment, go with T.Rowe Price. You can open IRA with $100 at T.Rowe Price (last time I checked). I am assuming you have SSN number and for IRA you have earned income for IRA limits ($5000 for 2008)

Yes F1 students can invest. I opened my IRA when I was on F1. Just go to any brokerage firm (scottrade, charles schwab, TDAmeritrade etc) if you want to trade stocks. If you want to open IRA and cannot afford Vanguard/Fidelity for their $3000 initial investment, go with T.Rowe Price. You can open IRA with $100 at T.Rowe Price (last time I checked). I am assuming you have SSN number and for IRA you have earned income for IRA limits ($5000 for 2008)
yes i do have SSN. thanks a lot for your info. :hatsoff: whats an IRA tho? [warning stocks/investor noob]

yes i do have SSN. thanks a lot for your info. :hatsoff: whats an IRA tho? [warning stocks/investor noob]
IRA stands for Individual Retirement Account. There are two types of IRA 1) Traditional - You put before tax dollars 2) Roth - You put after tax dollars I know being a student right now, retirement is probably last thing on your mind. But there are certain advantages of Roth type of IRA. *Any time you can withdraw your principal amount (not the gains) without any penalty for early withdrawl. *After 5 years of your Roth account you can withdraw upto $10000 in earnings for first home purchase or higher qualified education without penalty and without tax *After age 591/2, you can withdraw money from this account. You can withdraw as much as you want and there is no tax on gains. So say if you invest $5000 now and at 591/2 they have grown to $20000, you don't pay any tax on $15000 gain ($20000 -$5000). Read more at wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roth_IRA