Net Neutrality -- Educate Me

Zooter

IT geeks, I know there's a lot here. The idea is VERY SCARY. Orwell, Brave New World, Gattica all come to mind. Is it true that a few companies are trying to privately "own the internet" (?) the way they've done almost all new newspapers and news channels in America? I know for a fact that everyone working at Google HATES what's going on! Can you please fill me in--thanks.

Just as how a good market economy must prevent monopoly in other areas, so too must a good free society prevent monopoly of the media - I worry about crap like Fox News and Murdoch turning news into drivel, and I worry that the cyber era isnt protected enough.

If not for an open web, I would never have been able to download the Money Masters, I would have never seen the video footage on YouTube of Kennedy's bodyguards being told to stand away from the motorcade (seriously--you tube it), and so much more. It's seriously scary when you consider what the bast*rds want to do to the public's access to information.

It would be simple market economic, the one who is willing to shell the money is going to control it. Period. The problem with cyberworld is that everything is deemed to be free. Downloads are free(dont kid yourself it is still piracy), youtube is free and so are utlities like Yahoo and Hotmail. Even though Yahoo must have atleast 5-10 million users(if not more) the company never really made much profits. If tomorrow Yahoo started charging for its Yahoo mail , even a nominal amount of 20$ a month, most of the userbase will go away. I am of course all for open internet and stuff but I am also not going to be supportive of consumers taking everything for free, it doesnt work like that in real world it shouldnt work like that in virtual! xx