Underground subcultures in India

gorah_pindu

Im greatly interested in a variety of subcultures, from heavy metal, to cyberpunk. They tend to lead to great artistic innovation, and eventually effect the mainstream. Open minded subcultures like the hippy movement made countries like Britain better. So, id like to know what sort of subcultures can be found in India. rudra-kathir.jpg I know that metal subculture exists in India (including Vedic metal), so does a small but growing community of anime and manga fans, not to mention ravers, fans of 'asian underground' electronic music, fans of comics, and fans of UK influenced hip-hop/bhangra. There is even gay/lesbian culture in the big cities, although its not exactly reported on in great detail by the Indian media, for obious reasons :haha: But what about:

• Hacker/cyberpunk culture
  • Undeground street racing
  • Goth culture
  • Punk music
  • Science fiction fans
  • Anarchist art/culture
  • Sexual subculture (BDSM, etc)
  • Freestyle rap battles
  • Original Indian movements
  • ...etc...

Id love to hear whatever experiences you have with underground culture in India. Anything you can think of id be interested in learning about, so please enlighten me. Obiously something like cricket isnt an underground culture :wink_smile:

I expected you to be more open minded. Your own tastes arnt definative.
I happen to understand music fairly well. Metal is cr@p- utterly cr@p generic music. Only good metal i've ever heard is Dreamtheatre, where they know a thing or three about music. Most metal is just noise, not music. What you like or do not like is a matter of taste as far as music goes. But whether what you like is cr@p or not, is fairly definitive in music- which is more of a science than most think. I dont exactly see the point of encouraging totally nihilistic mentalities or culture like the metal or BDSM, rap, punk, etc. culture you talk about. they are singularly in the 'cr@p' bin for me. Openminded doesnt mean being open to everything demented and sick under the sun either.

I happen to understand music fairly well. Metal is cr@p- utterly cr@p generic music. Only good metal i've ever heard is Dreamtheatre, where they know a thing or three about music. Most metal is just noise, not music. What you like or do not like is a matter of taste as far as music goes. But whether what you like is cr@p or not, is fairly definitive in music- which is more of a science than most think. I dont exactly see the point of encouraging totally nihilistic mentalities or culture like the metal or BDSM, rap, punk, etc. culture you talk about. they are singularly in the 'cr@p' bin for me. Openminded doesnt mean being open to everything demented and sick under the sun either.
You clearly dont have a clue about "BDSM, rap, punk, etc".

You clearly dont have a clue about "BDSM, rap, punk, etc".
I can say the likewise about you, really. Rap isnt music and neither is punk. Those kind of music is really an insult to music.(pick a rap tune and i will write you the music for it in 10 min- that is how simple, monotonous and retarded the music of rap is) if anything, i'd much rather have Indians take to real western music- its classical and neo-classical traditions, jazz, blues, and some rock. And no, it is not I who is clueless about sexual malpractices like putting a dog-collar on your woman & tying her up in chains. I couldnt treat a whore like that, nevermind someone who is my girlfriend/wife/sex-buddy.Or doing that to a man and whipping him for sexual release. BDSM is sick...very sick.

"I happen to understand music fairly well."
CC, I dont care if you are a music professor, it dosent make your opinion on genres of music you know nothing about legitimate. You havent been part of the metal scene, thus have no expertise in this area, especially considering Dream Theatre were the best example of musical talent you could cite. Frankly, your comment is one of the most conceited statements I have ever heard, but in the interest of not furthering the mud slinging you started with your blanket statement, I wont take the piss. It took me a while to adapt to metal, and reject my prejudices about it - you however clearly still think your own relative choices and tastes represent universal truth, like some Islamist.
I can say the likewise about you, really.
You might wanna learn the philosophical definition of nihilism, since you have applied it to several subcultural movements that have nothing to do with it. Religious hardliners tend to throw it around as an insult, kinda like 'psuedo-secular', and this seems to be the source of your own knolwedge of the term. So much for your war with dada_rocks, turns out you are are quite capable of ill informed prejudice. Also, before attempting to claim I know nothing, you might want to actually learn about the topics you are claiming expertise over - its what most people do to avoid embarrasment. Wanna enlighten me as to what is so nihilistic about BDSM? Or whats so nihilistic about punk culture? Or hacker culture? You must be looking for one of those drawn out arguments where neither side relents today, right? Well, I have better things to do, such as respond to replies from people who are actually interested in the thread for something other than ego indulgance. If you wanna continue this, go start another topic. Id be glad to hear whatever contribution to the actual topic you have, if any. P.S. who said rap was music - you as it happens. I never did, and most serious rappers consider it a form of spoken poetry. Who said I respected punk culture for its music - you as it happens. Turns out, im more interested in the cultural phenomenon, something you have no clue about.
And no, it is not I who is clueless about sexual malpractices like putting a dog-collar on your woman & tying her up in chains. I couldnt treat a whore like that, nevermind someone who is my girlfriend/wife/sex-buddy.Or doing that to a man and whipping him for sexual release. BDSM is sick...very sick.
Wow, another ignorant rant about something you have no idea about. You dont seem to know the most basic tenet of this movement - consent, and your steriotypically uninformed statement reads like something from 50s American newspapers. Anyway, ive made a thread for you to diss random stuff in, so enjoy.

science fiction-fantasy subculture does exists. Oh it does :D
Cool :thumbs_up: Are there any sci-fi magazines, or anything? Id love to read some Indian sci-fi, but most books ive come across were kinda steriotypical foreign stories about India....

gp, you already know about the goa-house/trance lifestyle -- it's gone a bit beyond underground. other than that, i was part of a fairly active grunge scene when I was in high school in delhi. ie. Alice-in-Chains/Soundgarden cover bands, one was called "Kriya", iirc. have heard bangla rap and bangla metal last time i was in cal. I'm sure bombay has cool **** going on, but i haven't been in a long time. will be wandering india for a month in september though -- i'll report back (mostly on the deviant sexual practices of the resident heathens ;-))

What exactly is Punk Music' date=' the last time I heard that word was in the 80s[/quote']It was based on rock, but rejected the elaborate rock music of Hendrix and Led Zep, in favour of riffs that could be played easily - so it would appeal to working class masses and youth. Was pretty big in the UK, but also has kept going in the USA, with bands like The Offspring and Sum41 who are on music channels a lot. I respect it more for its cultural effect - UK punk was strongly anti-authoritarian and pro-freedom at a time when the government was run by strong conservatives - if it wasnt for punk the UK might be very different - but censorship was pushed back, and freedom of information and amateur journalism was pushed forward.

gp, you already know about the goa-house/trance lifestyle -- it's gone a bit beyond underground. other than that, i was part of a fairly active grunge scene when I was in high school in delhi. ie. Alice-in-Chains/Soundgarden cover bands, one was called "Kriya", iirc. have heard bangla rap and bangla metal last time i was in cal. I'm sure bombay has cool **** going on, but i haven't been in a long time. will be wandering india for a month in september though -- i'll report back (mostly on the deviant sexual practices of the resident heathens ;-))
Cool man, I know someone on another site who was in the grunge scene for a while. I know Mumbai has some big metal bands, like Demonic Ressurection and Pin Drop Violence - know a person who was a roadie with the latter lol. Also yeh - although you wouldnt expect it, it seems there is a big underground metal scene even in Bangladesh :wink_smile:

Underground metal scene is huge in Bangalore. In fact their are pubs like "Styx" in brigade road which play only metal. Also, they have live bands playing only metal there on Fridays. I actually frequented this place last time around when I was in Bangalore . Incidentally , it was just few weeks ago and kind of liked it. I think noticed about metal music it wears out as you age. It's almost like after 30 , your appetite for metal goes on the wane. Also , Seattle style grunge music was popular in the early 90's in bangalore and mumbai . I still remember the album "Smells like Teen Spirit" by Nirvana being played a lot in certain pubs.

Cool man, I know someone on another site who was in the grunge scene for a while. I know Mumbai has some big metal bands, like Demonic Ressurection and Pin Drop Violence - know a person who was a roadie with the latter lol. Also yeh - although you wouldnt expect it, it seems there is a big underground metal scene even in Bangladesh :wink_smile:
LOL....Demonic Resurrection...a couple of my old classmates...Prashant and Aditya (aka Count Vathora) are in that band!!

Those all bands and some from Sri Lanka also come to participate in the Great Indian Rock (GIR) Show