Duleep Trophy 2011-12

Chandan

I hope along with Kookaburra balls (which India/BBCI can very well afford) they are also forced to play on seaming green tracks. This would show which batsman can play on such conditions and we will have at least one tourney where fast bowlers will have their say.
:giggle: @ BBC
Apologies to BBC or BBCI (if such an entity exists) for slandering and bad mouthing them :hatsoff: It was an honest mistake and I assure BBC/BBCI that my intent was not malicious when I comapred them to BCCI or suugested that they were related to BCCI
On topic, the state associations cannot afford them for practise all the time. The not-so-rich ones. BCCI has all the money, but most of the state associations are poor. A lot of cricketers from these underprivileged state associations at time play Ranji with substandard cricket gear as well. And if they don't practise with it, they'll be at a disadvantage when they face the big, rich kids who's had enough practise with it. Complicated problems.
On topic, the state associations cannot afford them for practise all the time. The not-so-rich ones. BCCI has all the money, but most of the state associations are poor. A lot of cricketers from these underprivileged state associations at time play Ranji with substandard cricket gear as well. And if they don't practise with it, they'll be at a disadvantage when they face the big, rich kids who's had enough practise with it. Complicated problems.
N-Srinivasan1.jpg
That's where BCCI needs to step in and ensure all state associations have all the equipment/gear/facilities they need. Regarding your assumption that bigger teams like Delhi or Mumbai, i.e. rich kids, I can assure you that some, and generally quite a few, of the players in these teams strugle with inadequate equipment etc. The ball and equipment is made available only for the matches but not for practice. I know of a couple of ex-Delhi Ranji players who found it difficult to even make ends meet and had to travel 1.5 to 2 hrs each way by DTC buses for their practices. I am sure the same thing happens in Mumbai as well where some of the players have to travel by local trains just to get to practice. Things may have changed a bit now but 10-15 years ago this was the norm.
That's where BCCI needs to step in and ensure all state associations have all the equipment/gear/facilities they need. Regarding your assumption that bigger teams like Delhi or Mumbai' date= i.e. rich kids, I can assure you that some, and generally quite a few, of the players in these teams strugle with inadequate equipment etc. The ball and equipment is made available only for the matches but not for practice. I know of a couple of ex-Delhi Ranji players who found it difficult to even make ends meet and had to travel 1.5 to 2 hrs each way by DTC buses for their practices. I am sure the same thing happens in Mumbai as well where some of the players have to travel by local trains just to get to practice. Things may have changed a bit now but 10-15 years ago this was the norm.
These associations are richer and can provide more facilities. Kids would be more varied social backgrounds anyway, and that is what I like about Indian cricket nowadays. :dance:
These associations are richer and can provide more facilities. Kids would be more varied social backgrounds anyway' date=' and that is what I like about Indian cricket nowadays. :dance:[/quote'] You would be surprised to see that most of the kids who take to cricket at national level generally come from lower economic strata. Things may change now with advent of IPL but earlier most of the midle/upper class would give up cricket after 10th when they joined non-medical or mediacl streams :haha: Or at max they used to give it up when they went to college.

Green track likely for the Duleep trophy final at Indore as East and Central fight injury woes

For a tournament that comprises four games between five entities called 'zones', making them assemble teams that are together for barely three weeks, the Duleep Trophy still attracts its share of attention. It is perceived by some as having become irrelevant in a packed domestic season; others say it is still the gold standard for domestic cricket. It is the only tournament in which the Kookaburra ball is used, as opposed to the SG which is the norm in India. One thing is clear though. The Duleep Trophy has been, and largely still is, a showcase of the country's best domestic talent. The finalists this time, Central Zone and East Zone, have their share of fringe India players like Wriddhiman Saha and Piyush Chawla, and past stars like Mohammad Kaif. They have the first-class season's top three wicket-takers - Ashok Dinda, TP Sudhindra and Pankaj Singh. They have the top two run-getters - Robin Bist and Vineet Saxena. A couple of national selectors are expected to watch the game. This is the final chance for Test hopefuls to get noticed before the season descends into a spate of state one-dayers, zonal one-dayers, state Twenty20s all climaxing into the clutter of the IPL. Both sides are banking on their fast bowlers, with the grassy Indore pitch looking a complete contrast to the lifeless strip that made for a sleepy Ranji Trophy final in Chennai last month. Chawla, the Central Zone captain, remarked on how green the surface appeared - an unusual sight in India, except when a desperate home team dishes out green tops in search of an outright win. Indications were that the grass would stay tomorrow. It did for the Ranji quarter-final between Madhya Pradesh and Mumbai in January. The visitors saw the grass, the overcast conditions and the cold weather, and chose to bowl. Fifteen wickets fell on the first day, two on the second, six on the third, and one on the fourth. Mukesh Sahni, the MP coach, had said then that despite all the green cover, the pitch tends to ease out on the second day, and becomes good for batting. The surface was looking dry beneath the grass, with the afternoon sun beating down hard. Samundar Singh Chauhan, the curator, said that the pitch for this game had more live grass compared to the one for the Ranji quarter-final. Seemingly, Central - who have several MP players for whom this is a home ground - would bowl if they won the toss. Chawla said that this being a five-day game, sides always had a chance to come back even if they did poorly in the first innings. A five-day game also leaves a side with a huge disadvantage if one of the bowlers gets injured, which is why Central were worried about the fitness of Pankaj. The fast bowler was feeling stiffness in his shoulder, though he practised without any visible discomfort. Chawla said Pankaj had a 70% chance of playing; Rituraj Singh will take his Rajasthan team-mate's place if Pankaj is ruled out tomorrow morning. East were also hit by an injury to one of their fast bowlers. Debashish Mohanty, the East coach, said that Abu Nechim had been ruled out. One of Bengal's Shami Ahmed or Tripura's Rana Dutta will replace Nechim. Mohanty was understandably confident about his side's chances, with East having beaten West outright by five wickets in the quarter-final and then North on the first-innings lead in the semi-finals. East have historically been the weakest side in the Duleep Trophy and are the only zone never to have won the tournament. Of the four other zones, Central have won the least number of times. Both sides would feel this is their best chance. http://www.espncricinfo.com/duleep-trophy-2012/content/current/story/552947.html Let's see how sporting the track is. In the past, many such grassy tracks have gone onto become batting beauties, but with the curator saying it has got live grass and summer still a month or two away in Indore, batting could get tough for the two sides. Also, Nechim being injured could see Shami Ahmad getting his big break a golden chance to make a name for himself. Dinda will also get a chance to showcase the pace and aggression he has bowled with so far. The likes of Robin Bist, Ishank Jaggi and Anustup Majumdar will have their chance to show how good they can be on bowler friendly tracks.

Injury worries for East, Central on green track The Duleep Trophy has been, and largely still is, a showcase of the country's best domestic talent More... Duleep Trophy 2011-12, final Injury worries for East, Central on green track Abhishek Purohit in Indore February 11, 2012 For a tournament that comprises four games between five entities called 'zones', making them assemble teams that are together for barely three weeks, the Duleep Trophy still attracts its share of attention. It is perceived by some as having become irrelevant in a packed domestic season; others say it is still the gold standard for domestic cricket. It is the only tournament in which the Kookaburra ball is used, as opposed to the SG which is the norm in India. One thing is clear though. The Duleep Trophy has been, and largely still is, a showcase of the country's best domestic talent. The finalists this time, Central Zone and East Zone, have their share of fringe India players like Wriddhiman Saha and Piyush Chawla, and past stars like Mohammad Kaif. They have the first-class season's top three wicket-takers - Ashok Dinda, TP Sudhindra and Pankaj Singh. They have the top two run-getters - Robin Bist and Vineet Saxena. A couple of national selectors are expected to watch the game. This is the final chance for Test hopefuls to get noticed before the season descends into a spate of state one-dayers, zonal one-dayers, state Twenty20s … all climaxing into the clutter of the IPL. Both sides are banking on their fast bowlers, with the grassy Indore pitch looking a complete contrast to the lifeless strip that made for a sleepy Ranji Trophy final in Chennai last month. Chawla, the Central Zone captain, remarked on how green the surface appeared - an unusual sight in India, except when a desperate home team dishes out green tops in search of an outright win. Indications were that the grass would stay tomorrow. It did for the Ranji quarter-final between Madhya Pradesh and Mumbai in January. The visitors saw the grass, the overcast conditions and the cold weather, and chose to bowl. Fifteen wickets fell on the first day, two on the second, six on the third, and one on the fourth. Mukesh Sahni, the MP coach, had said then that despite all the green cover, the pitch tends to ease out on the second day, and becomes good for batting. The surface was looking dry beneath the grass, with the afternoon sun beating down hard. Samundar Singh Chauhan, the curator, said that the pitch for this game had more live grass compared to the one for the Ranji quarter-final. Seemingly, Central - who have several MP players for whom this is a home ground - would bowl if they won the toss. Chawla said that this being a five-day game, sides always had a chance to come back even if they did poorly in the first innings. A five-day game also leaves a side with a huge disadvantage if one of the bowlers gets injured, which is why Central were worried about the fitness of Pankaj. The fast bowler was feeling stiffness in his shoulder, though he practised without any visible discomfort. Chawla said Pankaj had a 70% chance of playing; Rituraj Singh will take his Rajasthan team-mate's place if Pankaj is ruled out tomorrow morning. East were also hit by an injury to one of their fast bowlers. Debashish Mohanty, the East coach, said that Abu Nechim had been ruled out. One of Bengal's Shami Ahmed or Tripura's Rana Dutta will replace Nechim. Mohanty was understandably confident about his side's chances, with East having beaten West outright by five wickets in the quarter-final and then North on the first-innings lead in the semi-finals. East have historically been the weakest side in the Duleep Trophy and are the only zone never to have won the tournament. Of the four other zones, Central have won the least number of times. Both sides would feel this is their best chance.

Dinda vs. Bist duel to light up Duleep Trophy final Dinda and Bist symbolise the current domestic season, carrying their ambitions to the field and achieving them with remarkable consistency. More... Dinda vs. Bist duel to light up Duleep Trophy final VIJAY LOKAPALLY TH12_DINDA_921257e.jpgTHIS YOUR WEAPON? East Zone’s Ashok Dinda seems to be asking Central Zone’s Robin Bist on the eve of the Duleep Trophy final in Indore. Ashok Dinda is a fiery competitor. He may not have the scorching pace of a fast bowler but he has the passion to bowl. It is a rare quality; to bowl even when you are exhausted; to bowl even after the captain is insisting you take a break. Sourav Ganguly would vouch! “Untiring motivator,” says the former India skipper. Robin Bist is the most successful batsman of the season and not just in terms of statistics. Many years ago, at a camp in Mumbai, Bist was one of the trainees and Mohinder Amarnath was the coach. “I learnt how to step out from Mohinder Sir,” recalls Bist. Amarnath need not remember Bist but his pupil has learnt the lessons well. Dinda and Bist symbolise the current domestic season, carrying their ambitions to the field and achieving them with remarkable consistency. Dinda has 52 first-class wickets this season, including 37 in Ranji Trophy. Bist has compiled 1199 runs with 1034 of them coming in Ranji Trophy. They are the best this season in their category. Both come to this city with a reputation to live up to. Dinda, 27, is aware that the conditions in India hardly favour bowlers. “Pitches are flat and cruel,” he smiles. But he sticks to “channel” bowling, wicket-to-wicket and always looking to make the batsman play. The only challenge he faces is maintaining the ball. “New ball is easy but the problem comes when maintaining the ball as the game progresses. I allow only two fielders to shine the ball because it has to be properly nurtured for reverse swing.” According to Bengal coach W.V. Raman, “Dinda is the best bowler today. He bowls every ball from his heart, especially on flat tracks. “Unfortunately, the yardstick of being rewarded for consistency has not been applied to him.” Bist, 24, is good at grinding the attack. “I hate to throw my wicket away,'' he spells his simple philosophy. “Earlier, I would think a lot. Think about making runs and then waiting to be picked for the higher league. It did not work.” What did he do then? “Well, I just stopped thinking. I told myself I have to just go out there and bat; just bat.” The runs came in a torrent. A Dinda-Bist duel could make for some stirring viewing at the Duleep Trophy final here between Central Zone and East Zone. Dinda believes in studying the batsman before snaring him. Bist is a man of action and one who plays the ball on merit. Good form would never lure him into playing extravagant strokes. “I don't live in the past. I enjoyed the Ranji Trophy but it is history now. I have to put my head down and excel in Duleep (Trophy).” He has his priorities in place. Central, despite fast bowler Pankaj Singh being a doubtful starter, is a compact side and high on motivation. East will miss an injured Abu Nechim but it has its task cut out. One can expect some intense cricket over the next five days at the Holkar Stadium here with a tinge of grass and promise of bounce by curator Samandar Singh. The teams (from): Central Zone: Piyush Chawla (captain), Vineet Saxena, Mohammad Kaif, Robin Bist, Bhuvneshwar Kumar, Naman Ojha, Jalaj Saxena, Rituraj Singh, T.P. Sudhindra, Pankaj Singh, Ashish Yadav, Mohnish Mishra, Ranjit Paradkar, Parvinder Singh and Tanmay Srivastava. East Zone: Natraj Behera (captain), Dheeraj Jadhav, Manish Vardhan, Ishank Jaggi, Bilap Samantray, Wriddhiman Saha, Anustup Majumdar, Ashok Dinda, Shreevats Goswami, Shahbaz Nadeem, Basant Mohanty, Shami Ahmed, Rana Dutta, Gokul Sharma and Subhrajit Roy. Umpires: Shuan George (South Africa) and S. Tarapore; Match Referee: Raju Mukherjee.

That is why Nechim bowled hardly 14 overs in comparison to Dinda's 30+ in the last match. Nechim didn't bowl on the final day of the quarter-final too, essentially meaning he's been carrying an injury all the while. Shami will bowl with pace, but he doesn't have much control and might be carted around.

That is why Nechim bowled hardly 14 overs in comparison to Dinda's 30+ in the last match. Nechim didn't bowl on the final day of the quarter-final too' date=' essentially meaning he's been carrying an injury all the while. Shami will bowl with pace, but he doesn't have much control and might be carted around.[/quote'] still would love to see how these guys bowl! after all this is not national team main objective of this tournament is that talented players can show there skills and can get selected into the side :dance: