Should Tendulkar retire himself at the end of this series? (Poll added)

Ponka

Should Tendulkar retire himself at the end of this series? (Poll added)  

1. 1.

• yes
    • no

The best part of it will be fan boys digging around for threads criticizing Tendulkar and bumping them when he scores some "great" ODI hundreds and "comes back to form" after struggling to put bat to ball in 16 consecutive innings and being a b!tch of Anderson' date=' Broad, and Siddle (something I had predicted, but was abused for being a troll etc.)[/quote'] Struggling to put bat on ball in 16 consecutive innings? See how you twist the facts for an agenda? Go on trolling!
Yuvraj won us two world cups at least. And Harbhajan, before his lean period, has contributed to Indian victories as much as any other cricketer of the current team. Don't forget what the likes of Sehwag, Raina (in ODIs) and Kohli learnt as well.
Yeah, bring in ODIs and T20s when the true aukaad of cricketers averaging 35 in batting and bowling in real cricket is being discussed. Look, I don't have time to waste convincing delusional fan boys - you think Tendulkar will put chaar chand on the Indian cricket team by being a b!tch of any half decent bowler away and "teaching" yooungsters, good for you. You've presented your point, I've presented mine and whose understanding is being replicated by real life events is for everyone to see.
Yeah, bring in ODIs and T20s when the true aukaad of cricketers averaging 35 in batting and bowling in real cricket is being discussed. Look, I don't have time to waste convincing delusional fan boys - you think Tendulkar will put chaar chand on the Indian cricket team by being a b!tch of any half decent bowler away and "teaching" yooungsters, good for you. You've presented your point, I've presented mine and whose understanding is being replicated by real life events is for everyone to see.
LOL. You will convince no one with your hate propaganda. Your present hero Kohli himself stated how Sachin's inputs help them in the dressing room. It's easy to dismiss someone when he's down and Harbhajan's, Sehwag's and Kohli's (whatver success is being discussed about) performances in Tests were being talked about. You would continue to hide behind 'ODI and T20 bashing' to shield yourself from the facts. You have possibly have wasted too much time of your life hating someone like this with a propaganda in mind.
Even Dravid scored some runs at the MCG - these guys are so inherently talented that they will obviously have the odd good innings' date=' but as consistent long term cricketers they are all finished.[/quote'] But Sachin was on song at MCG and Dravid was clearly struggling. :dontknow:
Dude - get it in your head - scoring runs is their job. Thats what they get paid for and thats why they are in the team and they are supposed to do it in every match - not in one match in every 10 when it suits them.
Since you've jumped in the middle of a chat, let me remind you that we are talking about someone who's been doing that for 22 years. No cricketer in the world scores runs in every match they play, but again it's pointless to discuss that with someone like you.
3 years after his retirement' date=' we are still struggling to find a replacement for the guy who averaged 29 and 16 in his last two series away from home![/quote'] And its been 20 years since we started missing Kapil. By all accounts we have missed an all-rounder more than a batsman. So lets petition Kapil to come back too.
I would not deny that Sachin is not in the best of form and he should have done a lot more than he has managed in the last 'three' series. But again I would like to be objective and say that he's far from finished' date='[b'] and after Laxman and Dravid call it a day the juniors still have a lot to learn from him in the dressing room.
I know your heart is in the right place but lets look at the scenario for past few years now. Phase 1 - Sachin Tendulkar is the greatest batsman ever second only to Don perhaps. As good as Richards, Headley, Hutton, Sunny etc. True 4-5 years back Phase 2 - Sachin Tendulkar is the greatest contemprory batsman challenged only by Ponting, Kallis. True 2-3 years back Phases 3 - Sachin Tendulkar is the best Indian batsman and still better than youngsters. True a year back. Phase 4 - Sachin Tendular may not be the best Indian bat but is still needed to guide the Indian youngsters. Being suggested today. Do you see how even the best intention is making sure Sachin's phases are just simply going downhill?? Maybe you will want him to retire a la Gilchrist when his batting went under 50? :giggle:
I know your heart is in the right place but lets look at the scenario for past few years now. Phase 1 - Sachin Tendulkar is the greatest batsman ever second only to Don perhaps. As good as Richards, Headley, Hutton, Sunny etc. True 4-5 years back Phase 2 - Sachin Tendulkar is the greatest contemprory batsman challenged only by Ponting, Kallis. True 2-3 years back Phases 3 - Sachin Tendulkar is the best Indian batsman and still better than youngsters. True a year back. Phase 4 - Sachin Tendular may not be the best Indian bat but is still needed to guide the Indian youngsters. Being suggested today. Do you see how even the best intention is making sure Sachin's phases are just simply going downhill?? Maybe you will want him to retire a la Gilchrist when his batting went under 50? :giggle:
Very good post.
I can define phase 5 (after 3-4 years) for you - Sachin is not good enough to command a place in Indian team. Dude, that's the way things go. With age you lose some of the qualities. Nothing exceptrional in that. It is not downhill. Also you have changed chronological order of things as per your comfort. Ponting was compared to Sachin around 2006-07. But after his renaissance in post 2007 world cup, nobody puts Sachin and Ponting in same league. Sachin's place should not be questioned as long as he is in list of top 6 indian bats. For me in this series also he was India's best bat - his all good scores came in live test matches where India was very much in contest. His scores in first four innings were 73,32,41 and 80 which doesn't indicate a failure. If you look at re-run of these innings, they'll come across as good innings for their quality. However, in each of these innings he succumbed to relentless pressure put by aussie bowlers who were allowed to do so by struggling batsmen at other end. The way he had come up with a plan to counter aussies with his upper cuts - and whch executed very well as well- shows that how much effort he still puts in practice and planning. It's not Sachin has been good in series but whatever we saw with respect to other batsmen of Indian team, no need to call for his retirement.

^When did Sachin get his chance? at the age of 16! No doubt he'll play well but if youngsters don't get chance now, and they are suddenly taken for away tours in 2013 when Sachin retires, we'll have to go through another humiliating season of white-washes. No youngster will come and fill Sachin's boot, no one can ever but unless new guys get chance, how will they establish themselves?

^When did Sachin get his chance? at the age of 16! No doubt he'll play well but if youngsters don't get chance now, and they are suddenly taken for away tours in 2013 when Sachin retires, we'll have to go through another humiliating season of white-washes. No youngster will come and fill Sachin's boot, no one can ever but unless new guys get chance, how will they establish themselves?
I have mentioned in one other post that Sachin won't gain much by playing at home agaist NZ etc. It would be great challenge for him to motivate himself. If there was another challenging overseas tour was there, then it would have given a chance to Sachin to redeem himself from failure of these two tours. But that is not the case and I don't know if Sachin would gain anything personally for home tours, particularly when he has shown tendency to skip easy tours like WI and pick up only tough ones.