A Time To Rejoice

Donny - i was referring to your statement, in another thread, where you stated categorically that 'clipping top of stumps' wasnt lbw. Nevermind - the two of us have fired quite a few volleys at each other the past 24 hours - fuelled mainly by my boredom when on leave!

The biggest reason why it is an earned draw is that everyone and their grandmothers knew that there is going to be substantial rain on the 5th day afternoon. England could have chosen a riskier declaration or could have stepped up their over rate. That they did not do so tells me they were reasonably confident of knocking India over in around 80 overs but in the end could not do it in 96. Remember, the rain was forecast to come in around 1-2 PM and did not come in till 3-4 PM. So if anything, England got a few more overs to bowl India out than they would've thought on the 4th day.

oh gosh... please give me a break. The conditions were absolutely favorable to the bowlers..They had enough time and that is why they got as many as 9 wkts. Lucky were they not us. If conditions were better than at least one of the set batsman could have easily gone on to score 100+. I aint saying that we would have won. But I am saying that Indians played well. If opposition gets 96 overs to bowl out then they were lucky to get as many overs. I am afraid, english cricket supporters and fans are talking absolutely rubbish. Everytime the ball was hit, they were talking about how the fielder was trying to save it but less was said about the way shot was executed. I was disappointed...wait in watch the 2nd test....

Doc, with our resource , population strength and interest level and also considering the fact that this one of the few sports we play with passion and interest , we should be comprehensively beating teams where cricket may be a fringe sport at best. Yet we fail in our endeavor . Then the question begs , shouldn't we be self effacing !
As an outsider i feel that a negative mindset is the biggest problem. Right from the start the kids should be taught to play courageous cricket
As an outsider i feel that a negative mindset is the biggest problem. Right from the start the kids should be taught to play courageous cricket
Actually it's more to do with coaching and politics. Coaching: Too much emphasis on technique and theory: I remember my school cricket coach used to worry so much about technique that most of the enthusiastic kids either lost interest or were transformed into zombies by the end of the camp. Sure technique is important, but after arming us with all the shots he should've atleast once encouraged us to go out there and belt the ball (u know kickass kinda attitude), but no.. always.. take your time, take it easy.. :whatchutalkingabout . As far as bowling is concerned.. sighh.. nevermind.. that's another story. I hope these kinda coaches aren't prevalent everywhere. Politics: In India, as you keep growing in stature the politics keeps increasing. To get into the school team: easy, to get into the university team: harder + Jugaad .. To get into ranji: Sifarish + $$, To get into the international team: Luck + Sifarish + $$$ + Runss
Actually it's more to do with coaching and politics. Coaching: Too much emphasis on technique and theory: I remember my school cricket coach used to worry so much about technique that most of the enthusiastic kids either lost interest or were transformed into zombies by the end of the camp. Sure technique is important, but after arming us with all the shots he should've atleast once encouraged us to go out there and belt the ball (u know kickass kinda attitude), but no.. always.. take your time, take it easy.. :whatchutalkingabout . As far as bowling is concerned.. sighh.. nevermind.. that's another story. I hope these kinda coaches aren't prevalent everywhere. Politics: In India, as you keep growing in stature the politics keeps increasing. To get into the school team: easy, to get into the university team: harder + Jugaad .. To get into ranji: Sifarish + $$, To get into the international team: Luck + Sifarish + $$$ + Runss
i think you said the same thing...just in a more comprehensive way. That sifarish thing is unfortunately prevalent in many countries
Actually it's more to do with coaching and politics. Coaching: Too much emphasis on technique and theory: I remember my school cricket coach used to worry so much about technique that most of the enthusiastic kids either lost interest or were transformed into zombies by the end of the camp. Sure technique is important, but after arming us with all the shots he should've atleast once encouraged us to go out there and belt the ball (u know kickass kinda attitude), but no.. always.. take your time, take it easy.. :whatchutalkingabout .
But still you have players like Sehwag, Uthappa and rest. I think it is more to do with poor pitches and lack of facilities right since the grass-root level.

u r a funny man sometimes bordering on hypocritic, Dhondy.... here u r defending with all ur might, the fact tht people should recognize tht we EARNED the draw through brilliant fightback and playing out 96 overs in the 4th innings of a test.... on the other hand, u r defending a captain who announced to the whole world tht we were might lucky to draw and we got out of jail, and the oppostion deserved to win.... :shot:

Three times in recent memory we were robbed by the weather. Three precious Test match wins- all abroad, lost to the elements. If you felt sad then, do us all a favour- rejoice now. You owe it to us and your team.
What was worse was when we had the chance to squeeze out draws - sometimes with the aid of weather, and failed. The capitulation at Kingston in 2002 before the storms hit was pitiful, made worse by the fact that FIVE MORE MINUTES would have meant a draw with the clouds so near. Bangalore against Pakistan in 2005; an attack spearheaded by Sami and we couldn't bat through a day on a wicket without demons. Worst of all, SAF recently in the 2nd test - another half hour and bad light would have rescued us. This was an improvement, although I feared a repeat with some of the strokeplay. I'm relieved and delighted at the same time, yet concerned that our tail for the most part remains blind to basic needs in such situations. Soft handed blocking, in the manner of a Jason Gillespie would have been so helpful. Instead Zaheer and RP Singh had to play some absurd shots - in RP's case, unforgivable as it pushed us to the brink with the light meters already being consulted - that made it too tight for comfort. A good result, but I'd have been even happier if we'd drawn at 6-7 down, with a good 5 not out off 40 balls from a tailender.
This was an improvement, although I feared a repeat with some of the strokeplay. I'm relieved and delighted at the same time, yet concerned that our tail for the most part remains blind to basic needs in such situations. Soft handed blocking, in the manner of a Jason Gillespie would have been so helpful. Instead Zaheer and RP Singh had to play some absurd shots - in RP's case, unforgivable as it pushed us to the brink with the light meters already being consulted - that made it too tight for comfort.
True. The way Zaheer had supported the set batsman at the other end in SA, gave me hope that he could hold on for 40 balls. But no. What on earth was he trying to do on that Tremlett delivery?