A disgraceful moment in Indian cricketing history

290 = 60 mins' date=' remember you have to plan for 90 mins :winky:[/quote'] and what constitutes 90 mins in your analogy will be a sliding scale. You think 320 would be enough here.. remember when we made over 400 runs against sri lanka and sri lanka lost only by 10 or 15 runs!... we are at the mercy of our bowlers.. plain and simple.
are you new to cricket? From when did it become "normal" for people to be playing shots when they are close to a milestone.. not to mention a milestone of such proportions??" How could anyone in their right minds say "instead of going for big s(h)ots" when it is in reference to getting a century!.. new heights (or lows) of desperation here.
What proportion? Boucher is close to 1000 "international" dismissals don't see him hiding behind these lame excuses.
Sachin fans. :haha: you guys are getting pwned . Just accept the fact that the innings was not what one sees from Sachin typically and move on... maybe he'd do something against Pak that would shut all of us haters up.
Hopefully yes. Maybe he will play differently with the monkey off his back. Can't pretend this innings was not what it was though, and try and put extra attention on the bowlers.
Hopefully yes. Maybe he will play differently with the monkey off his back. Can't pretend this innings was not what it was though' date=' and try and put extra attention on the bowlers.[/quote'] I swear! if I hear this gavaskarian term "monkey off the back" again, I'm gonna flip! It's everywhere!! :haha:
Not in context with this particular game but that is part and parcel of every team. In all facets of life we see that individuals come together to form a team. While usually individuals sacrifice their personal interests for the team's cause it is neither immoral nor unethical for the team to sacrifice its interests once in a while for an individual. In fact it happens in every profession and every endeavor of human life more often than you think. Also the main reason for individuals to come together to form a team is based on self interest - it is a belief that with a little bit of sacrifice of personal interest in some areas there will be more gained overall for individual interests in most areas.
Frankly I have never seen it happen in cricket other than the now infamous Mongia-Prabhakar "go slow" against WI after which they were both dropped. The whole point of sports is to compete and win and not to play the sport for personal landmarks and milestones. When personal milestones become the taret instead of a win it means there's a problem and seriously today's performance was simply pathetic. I never expected any of our players to play like how SRt did today. I can accept it if we are not good enough but it's hard to digest the fact we lost not because we were not good enough but coz a player put his interests ahead of the team's.
:hysterical::hysterical::hysterical::hysterical: Did you even watch the match when Bhagwaan was pottering around for singles desperately to get to his mahashatak instead of going for the big sots as any batsman except bhagwaan would have done in that situation?
I dont need to watch the game to know what is the mindset with which Sachin plays for his team/country. If after 23 years, you still want to doubt his intentions/committment, be my guest.
You are living in the past. The Sachin of present is good' date=' but only a shadow of the past. Every cricketer likes to prolong his career as much as possible, until he gets kicked out. Very rarely do you see Indian players retire at 35. Today was the best example to observe his thirst for personal records at the expense of the team, and as a shamless Sachin bhakt, you will obviously be blind to it. India did not get 290 because of Sachin 100, but inspite of the ton. Sachin = 114/147; Others=175/153;[/quote'] Word!
Guys' date=' please do not get personal and abuse each other. Let's just try and rise beyond the personal abuses, please![/quote'] Arre Vijay its all good. Tendulkar Jindabad. Munni Bai, as in Badi Bi, tum mujra karo hum abhi genda phool ka gajra lekar haajir huye meri jaan :yay::yay:
But that's the point! Why should there ever be a point when team's interests take backseat to an individual's? You are representing your nation and personal pride means a lot. Do you think it's ok for us to lose a game against B'desh and become the laughing stock of world cricket just so that one individual can reach his personal landmarks? I am not denying our bowling was not to blame - in fact in a thread I started I put equal blame on bowlers and Dinda whose 18 run over changed the curse of the match. But surely Tendulkar has to be called out as he was the difference between a 289 and 320 score today.
If a team of 11 international players, WC winners can lose, solely due to 15-20 balls of slow scoring by one person - against a team ranked last. Then that team deserves to lose. What about the selfish pursuits of Kohli / Gambhir against a better team - SL. Weren't we 20-30 runs short that day also? I already said - he shares a part of blame, not whole. While bowling, we were in winning position for larger part of the match. Besides, Pakistan already showed how to tame bangbros in even smaller total.
May be not! From cricinfo: 1) This was SRT's second slowest 100-plus ODI innings (of the 49 100s he has made) 2) He reached 80 of 102 balls & then took a further 36 balls to reach 100. That's a strike rate of 55 (between 80-100) when India required acceleration from a set batsman.
Bumps, its not fair to view stats in isolation. We scored 86 runs in the last 10 overs. How is that 'deceleration'? Yes, maybe could have scored 10-15 runs more, but that shouldnt blind you from the fact that we still put together a formidable total on the board.
You are living in the past. The Sachin of present is good' date=' but only a shadow of the past. Every cricketer likes to prolong his career as much as possible, until he gets kicked out. Very rarely do you see Indian players retire at 35. Today was the best example to observe his thirst for personal records at the expense of the team, and as a shamless Sachin bhakt, you will obviously be blind to it. India did not get 290 because of Sachin 100, but inspite of the ton. Sachin = 114/147; Others=175/153;[/quote'] That is exactly what I told about him in 2008, after he scored 160 against NZ, 175 and Australia and 200 against South africa. He has proven everyone wrong before and he will do it again. You can print that stick it on your wall if you want.
I dont need to watch the game to know what is the mindset with which Sachin plays for his team/country. If after 23 years, you still want to doubt his intentions/committment, be my guest.
Take half an hour off from your busy schedule to watch the disgrace he put the country through in pursuit of a personal and meaningless milestone. Once you've watched that charade of him pottering away to 100 during batting PP and slog overs, if you don't change your mind please come back and respond.