RP swing!

But there's no arguing with the effort he has put in at improving himself since his comeback. He seems to be a more well rounded bowler' date=' with some genuine skill. A return of 5 for 76 in the second innings under perfect batting conditions represents a phenomenal effort from the former naughty boy.[/quote'] I get the feeling that yesterday's incident with Pietersen and Cook (when he came out to bat) was still fresh in his mind. They all had a hearty laugh at his expense with the jelly beans, but as the saying goes, he who laughs last, laughs loudest. He certainly got his share of laughs by bundling them out today. Top class performance.
Oh yeah...RP's ball to Prior - what a missle that was. F*cking howitzer flattened that middle stump. I didn't know he had that in him. Very heartening to see such performances from Indian seamers' date=' now i'll have less reason to worry about Kumble retiring.[/quote'] Pred, do you think we'll see an all seam attack for India away from home in the foreseeable future? With Kumble retired, an attack comprising an in form Zaheer, Sreesanth, RP Singh and a rejuvenated and duly kicked-up the-backside Munaf on a juicy pitch is a mouth-watering prospect, I must say.
Pred, do you think we'll see an all seam attack for India away from home in the foreseeable future? With Kumble retired, an attack comprising an in form Zaheer, Sreesanth, RP Singh and a rejuvenated and duly kicked-up the-backside Munaf on a juicy pitch is a mouth-watering prospect, I must say.
When Kumble retires, it's a definite possibility. Chawla will still be young, and these fast bowlers have proven themselves at this level - isn't it obvious which selection makes more sense ? If they are all fit, it's a bowling attack which can challenge the best in the business, provided that they all sustain this rate of development. Sreesanth has improved beyond recognition since he got into the test side, RPS has done the same. Hopefully they keep improving. I still think we haven't seen the best of Munaf. He is a very, very good bowler. Check out the highlights of India's Kingston test victory (the 3 minute wickets package i posted earlier has now been replaced by 10 minute long highlights) - Munaf was steaming in, consistently quick, probing that corridor outside off-stump. That ball which had Lara jumping and nailed him LBW was an absolute jaffa. Of all the bowlers India have right now, he is by far the most accurate - capable of consistently hitting that danger area outside off all day long. Anyone who has that ability will be successful at international level. He just needs to work on his fitness; easier said than done of course. What worries me right now is how these bowlers might be treated after the test series. Hopefully Dravid and the coaching staff won't overbowl them once the ODI season begins.
When Kumble retires, it's a definite possibility. Chawla will still be young, and these fast bowlers have proven themselves at this level - isn't it obvious which selection makes more sense ? If they are all fit, it's a bowling attack which can challenge the best in the business, provided that they all sustain this rate of development. Sreesanth has improved beyond recognition since he got into the test side, RPS has done the same. Hopefully they keep improving. I still think we haven't seen the best of Munaf. He is a very, very good bowler. Check out the highlights of India's Kingston test victory (the 3 minute wickets package i posted earlier has now been replaced by 10 minute long highlights) - Munaf was steaming in, consistently quick, probing that corridor outside off-stump. That ball which had Lara jumping and nailed him LBW was an absolute jaffa. Of all the bowlers India have right now, he is by far the most accurate - capable of consistently hitting that danger area outside off all day long. Anyone who has that ability will be successful at international level. He just needs to work on his fitness; easier said than done of course. What worries me right now is how these bowlers might be treated after the test series. Hopefully Dravid and the coaching staff won't overbowl them once the ODI season begins.
One of my greatest diasppointments was when Munaf cut his pace down dramatically after that series and focussed on becoming a line & length bowler, with the ODIs in mind. His mental frailties were also shown up when he let a trivial indisposition drag on and on during the SA series, and put up a shocking show when he was selected for the final Test. That cost him dear. But there's no doubt the lad has talent. And there's nothing like a bit of time out of the side to stoke your fire. Zaheer will testify to that.

I'm quite surprised at how India is producing decent pacemen over the last few years. We have had Zaheer, Munaf, Sreesanth and now RP Singh. The likes of Balaji, Nehra and Pathan weren't bad when they were fit and in form. We have had about 7 decent pace bowlers this decade. There must be something right about the domestic cricket set up for faster bowlers in India. Maybe the academy or the MRF Pace academy are doing a good job?

I'm quite surprised at how India is producing decent pacemen over the last few years. We have had Zaheer, Munaf, Sreesanth and now RP Singh. The likes of Balaji, Nehra and Pathan weren't bad when they were fit and in form. We have had about 7 decent pace bowlers this decade. There must be something right about the domestic cricket set up for faster bowlers in India. Maybe the academy or the MRF Pace academy are doing a good job?
True, though I think that the new fast pitches in domestic cricket these days are also helping in bringing out new talent.

As mentioned earlier, dont forget that we are playing in swing conditions in England. The bowlers nevertheless have performed well so far. However, we shouldnt get so excited and I think they will be tested in subcontental pitches. In the meantime we can celebrate ( provided we win tomorrow, very likely unless a hurricane comes) :dance: ( this smiley seems to be awesome)

One of my greatest diasppointments was when Munaf cut his pace down dramatically after that series and focussed on becoming a line & length bowler' date= with the ODIs in mind. His mental frailties were also shown up when he let a trivial indisposition drag on and on during the SA series, and put up a shocking show when he was selected for the final Test. That cost him dear. But there's no doubt the lad has talent. And there's nothing like a bit of time out of the side to stoke your fire. Zaheer will testify to that.
excellent point doc! A few years ago M Sami was developing in to a fine bowler but he did the same thing as Munaf and we all know where he is now:tounge_smile: