Judge Tendulkar by today's standards

Try Lara betwee 1999 June and 2001 June ... comes to 17 Tests @ 34 about the same as SRT :giggle:
Lara - 17 Tests 1127 runs @34.15 SRT - 20 Test 1049@33.8 :angry_smile::angry_smile::angry_smile: Everytime you ask me to check something SRT comes out second best Bheem. :sad_smile::sad_smile: All this exercise is doing is showing Lara better than SRT even when the former was in the worst phase of his career. Trust me I dont want to see that :sad_smile::sad_smile:
You are missing the point Lurks ... the point being you dont drop alltime great players based on a lean patch .... and that all it takes is a good series to change things around ... BCL murdered SL in that series in 2001 and hence the sudden shift in avg ...
I can live with that argument. Problem being that most players, including Lara, come alive after their lean phase. In your example Lara came alive after 14 or so tests(correct me if I am wrong). SRT has already played 20 tests but still "fighting it out". Sorry I dont buy this whole dropping thing. You would be right if I was shouting after one foul series but here I have given you 7-8 :sad_smile::sad_smile:
You are missing the point Lurks ... the point being you dont drop alltime great players based on a lean patch .... and that all it takes is a good series to change things around ... BCL murdered SL in that series in 2001 and hence the sudden shift in avg ...
x2 And ~.35 better avg in 3 less matches isn't exactly earth shattering difference.
Everytime ? Viv Richards ka case mein kya hua ?
Kya hua Viv Richards ke case mein? 1) Viv retired after 50 Tests, SRT is still playing. 2) Viv's average in last 50 tests 46.3, overall average 50.2, a drop of less than 4. Sachin's overall average in last 50 tests 44.4, overall average 55, a drop of 11. 3) Viv's average before 2nd phase(as per your dataset) - 54. After 2nd phase 45. A drop of 9. Sachin's average in 1st phase 58, Sachin's average in 2nd phase - 44. Drop of 14 4) Lowest average of Richards in the timespan 43, lowest average for Sachin 20 something. Now how does Sachin not come 2nd best BB :sad_smile:
Viv was also 39 yrs old !
Viv retired after playing for 17 years, Tendulkar is already into his 18th year. So career wise clearly SRT should go, if we are comparing him to Viv. As per the physical age I am sure you had seen Viv when he played. Are you telling me Sachin of today looks any fitter than Richards towards the end of his career?
What has career Avg got to do when we are discussing lean patch of a player ? And hasnt SRT scored more runs than Viv in the same no.of Innings in his supposedly lean patch ?
Career average was used to show the "drop". You can take it out if you feel like and concentrate only on the comparison in the lean patch. Even there Viv has a lesser drop than Sachin.
Pls define how you calculated those avgs.
That was his average against countries in that timespan. In the mentioned timespan when Viv had his lean patch the minium average against any country was 43. Sachin's average in his lean patch dips atleast 3 times under 40 against major Test playing nation and his lowest average against a country(NZ) is 20 something. xx
Thats because SRT started early ... its not his fault ... your point would have been valid if Viv had retired at 34-35
That is just as invalid statement as saying Sachin should have waited to start his career when Viv did. If it is not Sachin's fault that he started young why is it Viv's fault that he was 39 when he called it a day? Its neither here and there. At the end of the day Sachin has had atleast 1 more year of Test cricket, not to mention almost 18 extra tests and almost 200 extra LOI in about the same time(18 years). That if anything should show that Sachin's body would take more wear and tear than Viv's.
Ohhh yeah ... Viv had a fat a$$ by the end of his career and was really unfit .... couldnt field in the outfield even though he played less than half as many ODIs as SRT ... If you saw the recent Test SRT and Karthik were chasing a ball and SRT beat Karthik in the chase.
Disagreeed. Sure Viv had slowed but so has Sachin. Yeah Sachin can make some good catches I will give you that but his body, his face, his physique all give signs of aging. So no I dont buy your argument.
Again this is relative speak ... you cant blame SRT for having a spectacular first half ... (Check my previous post I edited it)
Okay so now we are moving the goalpost here BB. You started with the point to show how Viv's average dropped and now you are coming around with the idea that Viv had a not-so fantastic first half. I also do not buy this Sachin had a spectacular first half idea. If anything Sachin has had a miserable second half. In an era where scoring at 50 plus is no big deal now, see how many countries have batsman in average mid to high 40s today, Sachin is barely managing to stay around 44, that too based on his precious performances. In his recent games he has scored at 32 or thereabouts. xxx
The reason why you have SRT scoring so low against countries is because SRT mostly played in a 3 test series and that NZ test series was just 2 tests IIRC on wonder bras ... like wise for the recent SAF series which was a 3 test series ... Viv on the other hand played a lot of 5 test series and there was less chance of all 5 tests being low scoring games.
Well those are the problems you shall always have when comparing players with different eras. Bowling attacks change, pitches change and the game itself changes. Still even if I for argument sake take away the NZ series how do you explain the fact that Sachin scores at under 40 against two other teams while Viv's record doesnt dip against any team. The lowest he averages is 43. xx
Preds ' date=' There are others who have performed even more badly than SRT ... and he definitely deserves a place in the team ... but dont think he can come in at SRT's expense atleast not after SRT has scored 2 100s and 3 90s (and that 171 in the first class tour match )in the last 2 months.[/quote'] nail.hit.head.