Bihari Recipes

suma25

http://www.dnaindia.com/report.asp?newsid=1113631 how stupid can one get??/ not allowing one in a housing society just because he is non vegetarian...? what next will these people will come up with??? From the article:
In 2003, Parel resident Amar Khamkar, put up a fight against a housing society that refused to sell a flat to him because he was a non-vegetarian Maharashtrian. He held several meetings with the secretary and tried convincing the members that it wasn’t fair but nothing worked. “I had the money but they would lie to me saying the bookings were full or would quote a price three times higher than the original one,” he says.
First, it was vegetarian apartment blocks. Then it was vegetarian neighbourhoods. Now, some militant vegetarians in Mumbai are demanding meat-less supermarkets and shopping malls. Recently, the Marwari Ekta Parishad protested against meat being sold at the new retail chain of the Aditya Birla group. There have been several instances in the past where vegetarians have put pressure and succeeded in getting restaurants in their area to serve just vegetarian food. Marine Drive caters only to herbivores now. Dominoes, Pizza Hut and many other small-time restaurants on that stretch are exclusively veggie. Many have even shut down. The vegetarians say it is all for tradition. “A Marwari family can’t support slaughter. Should commercial interests be allowed to overtake our culture and tradition?” asks an indignant Narendrabhai Parmar of Marwari Ekta Parishad.

http://www.dnaindia.com/report.asp?newsid=1113631 how stupid can one get??/ not allowing one in a housing society just because he is non vegetarian...? what next will these people will come up with??? From the article:
Been there seen that. You would be surprised how intolerant many of the "softest" seeming group of people actually are. The Gujjus and Jains specially take the cake. Now of course I dont mean all Gujjus or all Jains but in many of the hi-fi Mumbai area such discrimination is well known. I wouldnt be surprised if this is also a tool to keep off Muslims in general since there is a much more chance of them being non-vegetarian. Well so much more the reason for people to move towards Borivali area and slrrp on those yummy chicken chowmeins...:dance:

Guest dada_rocks

It has got nothing to do with muslim segregation vegetarians particularlry religious ones abhor contact of us non-veggies,.. btw muslim segregation in terms of housing is by the edict of those medieval muslim rulers, it didn't start yesterday and as usual they themselves were the purveyor of this housing division.

Been there seen that. You would be surprised how intolerant many of the "softest" seeming group of people actually are. The Gujjus and Jains specially take the cake. Now of course I dont mean all Gujjus or all Jains but in many of the hi-fi Mumbai area such discrimination is well known. I wouldnt be surprised if this is also a tool to keep off Muslims in general since there is a much more chance of them being non-vegetarian. Well so much more the reason for people to move towards Borivali area and slrrp on those yummy chicken chowmeins...:dance:
yea my brother had tried goat's tongue from one of chinese stalls near our school in borivali yuck!!!! neways they had run a similar article to this in the same paper few yrs back . this time it was one of the housing societies in kandivali and they sadi they wont allow non-vegetarians becausethey are strict hindus but i but they have no problem with alcohol/liquor?....wat kind of logic is that as far as muslim person goes the broker/agent straight away tells that the society doesnt entertain any muslims.similar with muslim societies they dont entertain any hindus

It has got nothing to do with muslim segregation vegetarians particularlry religious ones abhor contact of us non-veggies,.. btw muslim segregation in terms of housing is by the edict of those medieval muslim rulers, it didn't start yesterday and as usual they themselves were the purveyor of this housing division.
I disagree. Non-vegetarianism is a very politically correct way of discriminating against Muslims without being overt about it. Of course most Hindus would tend to disagree there but its a truth. As is true that for a long time, even till recently, in many Hindu households there used to be "special utensils" for Muslims. Coming to non-vegetarian discrimination itself it has brought me personally a lot of grief. I have been friends with peeps who are strictly vegetarians and boy was it a pain most of the time, if not always. I had some 100% vegetarians who did not so much as consume eggs. Imagine my plight when I would take birthday cakes to them and they would refuse on face. Or if given ice-creams they would first check the content label. I mean it is ice-cream for eff sake!!! :confused_smile:

neways they had run a similar article to this in the same paper few yrs back . this time it was one of the housing societies in kandivali and they sadi they wont allow non-vegetarians becausethey are strict hindus but i but they have no problem with alcohol/liquor?....wat kind of logic is that
Beats me. The reason are always religious mind you. I personally think a well balanced diet of meat, eggs, dairy and vegetables is best for human body. I can not seen how a pure veggie diet can do good for a human body really.
as far as muslim person goes the broker/agent straight away tells that the society doesnt entertain any muslims.similar with muslim societies they dont entertain any hindus

Coming to non-vegetarian discrimination itself it has brought me personally a lot of grief. I have been friends with peeps who are strictly vegetarians and boy was it a pain most of the time, if not always. I had some 100% vegetarians who did not so much as consume eggs. Imagine my plight when I would take birthday cakes to them and they would refuse on face. Or if given ice-creams they would first check the content label. I mean it is ice-cream for eff sake!!! :confused_smile:
A couple of my friends here at uni are pure jains. (they dont eat onions, tomatoes, ginger, garlic, etc) they even check the labels for bread.. some contain egg whites. Imagine surviving in a midwest town... being a Jain:confused_smile:

A couple of my friends here at uni are pure jains. (they dont eat onions, tomatoes, ginger, garlic, etc) they even check the labels for bread.. some contain egg whites. Imagine surviving in a midwest town... being a Jain:confused_smile:
One of my relatives lived in Phoenix who was pure vegetarian. It was a pain to go out with him. It was not that he did not try to accomodate me, or that I did not try. We both did but in the end we just stopped going out. It basically killed our relationship. :sad_smile:

One of my relatives lived in Phoenix who was pure vegetarian. It was a pain to go out with him. It was not that he did not try to accomodate me, or that I did not try. We both did but in the end we just stopped going out. It basically killed our relationship. :sad_smile:
Imagine Lurker dating a pure vegetarian girl !:wink_smile:

they wil come up with some thing like jain burger jain hotdog there just like they do here with jain omlette ,jain pavbhaji:haha: what the heck is jain omlette???

being a vegetarian isnt as bad.. u can eat a lot of stuff.. Being jain is just impossible. Bichara, hasnt tried a french fry in his life. Cant eat pizza because the sauce contains onions... most of the brands of bread and icecream have egg.. When we were in the dorms.. pretty much the only thing he ate was M&M's and bananas. (for 1 year, mind you) he even made his own masala for maggi ... I felt so bad for him..

Guest dada_rocks

U can imagine whatever u want man but glaring FACT: When muslim ruled India they had the following edict No non-muslim can live in hindu locality. All of a sudden it becomes hindu's fault...Not buying As of today there is many-fold reason for segregation (1) medieval inertia (2) Frequent hindu/muslim riots where people feel more secured in their respective locality. (3) Then there is dawah kira which these guys have and whereby they indulge in majnugirir and subsequent conversion (4) Non-vegetarianism.. heck not just non-vegetarinims but beef-eating this puts religiously inclined ones off. And yes it's two-way street try getting an accomodation in muslim area as a hindu level of dificulty you will have to face reamains the same.

Guest dada_rocks
Imagine Lurker dating a pure vegetarian girl !:wink_smile:
Why imagine: I would eat anything and everything and my wife is pure vegetarian. Heck when my parents heard her dietry habit they didn't enquire about anything else:hysterical:

A couple of my friends here at uni are pure jains. (they dont eat onions' date= tomatoes, ginger, garlic, etc) they even check the labels for bread.. some contain egg whites. Imagine surviving in a midwest town... being a Jain:confused_smile:
What the hell do they eat then ? How do they survive ? Do they take on this kind of lifestyle because of religious (or maybe health-related) reasons, or are they "moral vegetarians", ie; the kind who don't eat food because they think it's wrong to kill living things ?

What the hell do they eat then ? How do they survive ? Do they take on this kind of lifestyle because of religious (or maybe health-related) reasons, or are they "moral vegetarians", ie; the kind who don't eat food because they think it's wrong to kill living things ?
They're the religious type. I dont think there is anything immoral in eating a potato.