Cut out the swearing - it's just not cricket says the skipper

King

Michael Vaughan has ordered his England players to cut out swearing at the opposition. The captain stepped up England's drive to improve behaviour on the field by warning his players to watch their language against India at The Oval142136600More... Cut out the swearing - it's just not cricket says the skipper Last updated at 22:27pm on 8th August 2007 commentIconSm.gif Comments Michael Vaughan has ordered his England players to cut out swearing at the opposition. The captain stepped up England's drive to improve behaviour on the field by warning his players to watch their language against India at The Oval. VaughanG_468x672.jpgNo bad language: Michael Vaughan has ordered a language clean-up Read more...

In the wake of the 'Jellygate' controversy at Trent Bridge, Vaughan wants his team to clean up their act during the third and final Test, starting today. Despite the high-stakes situation - with England needing victory to avoid a first series defeat in this country since 2001 - Vaughan will not tolerate any more foul-mouthed outbursts aimed at the opposition. The match in Nottingham was marred by numerous clashes and Vaughan yesterday admitted: "There were a couple of areas where we came close to stepping over the line. For one, I don't want to see swearing on the pitch. I want to see some gamesmanship and chirping, which I don't think is an issue, but if it becomes swearing or an attack on a player, that is wrong. "Swearing sometimes is a natural reaction and that's OK as long as it's not aimed directly at a player. There are a lot of people watching, including kids, and they don't want to see that." Vaughan spoke to match referee Ranjan Madugalle yesterday and was advised that his team must improve their conduct. "He thought there were a couple of issues at Trent Bridge where it got close to the line," said Vaughan. "I agreed with him." Kevin Pietersen took part in most of England's practice session, having been bed-ridden on Tuesday, after being struck down by an infection. Vaughan was delighted to report that the team's premier batsman will play. He said: "He's had a net and he will be fine. It's a big relief for the team because he's such an important player." England will field an unchanged team and Vaughan urged his men to prove they can handle the burden of defending their unbeaten home record. "These kind of matches are great because you see which players stand up to the pressure," he said. "You learn a lot about your team."

I guess the same could be said about India too. Both teams were guilty if anything. To be honest I think they are making a mountain out of molehill. It wasn't as terrible as they make it sound. I don't reckon there was so much noise made even after the spat between McGrath - Sarwan. The reactions have been a little over the top IMO.