Follow on or Bat?

living

Every game is important but with varying importance to the result. Let's face it' date=' it's not important for India to win this test match because the greater goal of a series win will be accomplished even with a draw. If a win comes, it's a bonus.[/quote'] I guess my line of thinking is quite different. After having scored 650+ and the opponent trailing by 300+ runs with only an inning to bat. Almost another 2 days left in the test match I would think winning is only a courtesy not a bonus. Hopefully lack of Sidebottom for England will help India and as per plans I hope India end up getting a quick lead. I've seen some really insipid batting from experienced campaigners like Tendulkar or Dravid under pressure. I don't want a repeat similar situation i.e batting aimlessly for about about an hour and score about 20 odd runs before throwing the wicket away. That kind of batting doesn't serve any purpose whatsoever. I haven't seen any kind of positive batting so far from Rahul I'll have to say. He's just there batting but with no intention of scoring whatsoever.
Every game is important but with varying importance to the result. Let's face it' date=' it's not important for India to win this test match because the greater goal of a series win will be accomplished even with a draw. If a win comes, it's a bonus.[/quote'] Don't agree with that Shwetabh. Let's face it, a 319 lead with two full days of play to follow is a winning opportunity in even the lowliest wimp's book. If you are thinking of safety first from that situation, perhaps you shouldn't be an international captain. I sincerely hope that Dravid wasn't thinking of safety first when he made his decision. One would hope he had the workload of his bowlers in mind, and the advantage of 40 overs of wear for his spinner.

It's not the workload Dhondy. Anil and RP only bowled about 15 overs each. That is hardly some bowling work load. Anil bowls truck load of overs and work load isn't a problem with him. Zaheer and Sreesanth have only bowled about 20+ overs yesterday so that isn't too bad either.

Don't agree with that Shwetabh. Let's face it, a 319 lead with two full days of play to follow is a winning opportunity in even the lowliest wimp's book. If you are thinking of safety first from that situation, perhaps you shouldn't be an international captain. I sincerely hope that Dravid wasn't thinking of safety first when he made his decision. One would hope he had the workload of his bowlers in mind, and the advantage of 40 overs of wear for his spinner.
All those factors, Dhondy coupled with the fact that it's better to collapse in the 3rd innings trying to set 500+ than in the fourth chasing 180. I would rather have Kumble bowling on day 5 than 4, moreover and bat against a 3 man attack than a possible 4 man attack tomorrow if Sidebottom recovers. Let me put it this way, Dravid's thought process would have been, "Let's try our best to win this test but let's not give England even a whiff to level the series".

I guess he doesn't trust the rest of the batters or it could be some kind of mental block. Rahul and Tendulkar have burlged India few games with this kind of mindset before. Not to confuse they are bad batters or anything. They are legends but they have some kind of mental block at times. Perhaps they set themselves up a bit too much I suppose. They can take a leaf out of Ganguly or Laxman's book a play few shots in the process to get out of the mental block.

i had already made up my mind tht Dravid has a poosy attitude as a captain and he only reinforced it today... thanks skippo for proving me right....
I wouldn't just blame the captain but include the vice captain, manager and the senior players Gator.

Dravid used to be the bravest of all batters i have seen, along with Tugga... it is clear tht his poosy attitude in captaincy is rubbing off on his batting.... he is everything short of shivering his crease there, making anderson and tremlett look like holding and garner....