Test spat 'Kumble being Kumble'

King

KEVIN Pietersen played down his spat with India spinner Anil Kumble on the final day of the third Test at The Oval today (AEST), suggesting it was because the bowler was just intent on a victory. More... Test spat 'Kumble being Kumble' From Richard Sydenham in London August 14, 2007 KEVIN Pietersen played down his spat with India spinner Anil Kumble on the final day of the third Test at The Oval today (AEST), suggesting it was because the bowler was just intent on a victory. England, set an unlikely victory target of 500, survived India's charge and closed on 6-369. Pietersen scored 101, his 10th Test century, to frustrate the Indians, who still won the series 1-0. Kumble reacted angrily when he attempted to field off his own bowling and collided with non-striker Pietersen, who he thought was trying to obstruct him. Kumble then had a heated verbal exchange with the England batsman. "He's a fierce competitor," said Pietersen. "India were trying as hard as they could to win and he was fighting for his country. I was ball watching and got in his way." The exchange became so explosive at one stage that South Africa umpire Ian Howell intervened and India skipper Rahul Dravid jogged from slip to calm his bowler. "It was nothing serious, (but) Anil can get quite worked up on the field when he's bowling and trying very hard," said Dravid. "He was in his 30th over and was trying to win a Test match for India. There's no prouder man than Kumble when he steps on the field to represent India. He gives it his all and when he gives it his all it can get the better of him. "It shows the effort he has put in this series and over his career. Anil has been a top man and I'm really happy for the way he got a hundred - it was one of the most popular hundreds that I've seen," he said, referring to Kumble's 110 not out on Friday, India's only century in the series.